Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Spring plate trailing arm question

Hello Gentlemen,

Was just wondering if it is possible to replace the Spring plate bushings on a 1972 911 T without removing the trailing arm?

Thank you,

Chris

Old 11-23-2018, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Spring plate bushing removal......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixv8 View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

Was just wondering if it is possible to replace the Spring plate bushings on a 1972 911 T without removing the trailing arm?

Thank you,

Chris

Chris,

All you need is to remove the sway bar if you have one and loosen the spring plates bolts. The spring plates are bolted to the trailing arm/s and the other end at body with 4 bolts. If the spring plate is not stuck to the torsion bar, removal will be easy and simple. You will know when you get to this point. Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 11-23-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you Tony!
Old 11-23-2018, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I might be confused about your original question, but if you plan on only replacing the outer spring plate bush you only need to remove the spring plate cover. Otherwise you have to remove the spring plate from the car which will require it to be unbolted from the trailing arm. Be careful as there is tension on the spring plate from the torsion bar and you may need to use a floor jack under the spring plate.

Then after re-assembly you will need to make sure the angle of the spring plate is the same as it was originally. You can mark or measure the angle before removal.

Then an alignment should be performed.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-23-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

^^^^^ What Gordon said. In addition, I wouldn't replace the outer bushing only. I'd only do it by replacing the bushings on both sides which would entail everything Gordon mentioned.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys I plan on replacing both inner and outer. I just wanted to know if I could unbolt the spring plate from the trailing arms and remove it from the car without removing the entire trailing arm first.

Thank you for the advise with the angle of the plate and the tension from the torsion bar.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Chris. I'm not a mechanic, but I've done the rear suspension (and front) on my car three or four times. Practically speaking you need to separate the spring plate from the swing arm. The problem is trying to get the same angle of your spring plate as you have now - assuming that's what you want. Wrestling with the amount of mass trying to get the spring plate off the torsion bar and back on at the right angle isn't something I'd attempt. One thing I finally invested in (at Harbor Freight because I don't do it every day) is a digital clinometer. They are so much more accurate and easy to work with than the springy dial meters. As you get into the job, you'll see what has to be done. It's not exactly rocket science. It just mostly takes time and perseverance.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
great time to consider updating to a later adjustable spring plate if originality is not a huge factor. you can get a fare amount of height adjustment with them instead of having to hit the angle dead nuts on when reindexing.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: