Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Frequency valve failure?

1983 SC. Developed a fuel leak. Checked and discovered the short rubber hose connecting the hard fuel line to the Frequency Valve line was the culprit. The side connected to the FV is leaking. Tried to clamp but to no avail.
I have attempted to research the topic here and haven’t found out much info beyon “FV rarely ever fail”. If anyone could give me any insight into diagnosing the FV issue or any other issue that might be causing my leak. Thank you all in advance.
Video of the are of the leak linked below:
https://[URL="http://https://youtu.be/vm4uR6IC-dQ"]youtu[/URL].be/vm4uR6IC-dQ

https://youtu.be/vm4uR6IC-dQ
Old 01-13-2019, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

So it's the rubber hose that has failed, not the Freq valve itself?

Should not be difficult to replace this hose.

email me and I will try to help.

Len dot Cummings at verizon dot net

Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Len,
I fired off that email.
Thanks for any assistance that you might be able to offer.
I hope it’s the hose as that would be an easy fix but in my experience with older cars (not Porsche but generally) it usually gets complicated.
I reached out to this unbelievable wealth of knowledge pelican forums to get feedback as to wether or not this all makes sense and is as simple as it appears.
The car had sat for nearly 16 years before the seller offered it. Then I drove it approx 900 miles home plus another 1500 this summer. I guess I was living on borrowed time anyway.
Thanks for your help!
-Don
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
hopefully getting a new hose will do the trick. Getting back there to change it will be a chore for sure. Might be able to get back there with a "partial" engine drop.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
hopefully getting a new hose will do the trick. Getting back there to change it will be a chore for sure. Might be able to get back there with a "partial" engine drop.
Not familiar with a partial engine drop if someone can enlighten me because it sucks working back there. I was able to cut the hose getting it off of the hardline has been a pain in the ass. As you said getting back there is the chore. All of the other hardliners in the way. It looks like I am going to have to take off the fitting coming from the accumulator area so that I can access and clean up the barbed side more easily than leaving it in and reaching back there. I am imagining the Frequrncy valve side is going to be equally amazing and fun.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
You can have that short FV fuel line replaced by Len (up in post #2) or a reputable hose rebuilder.

I recently had the FV line and all other on-engine CIS fuel lines and vacuum assemblies rebuilt using the existing hardlines and fittings by a local hose shop. They even said they do a lot of the frequency valves for people restoring DeLoreans.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Use the search function on Pelican, both on this and the engine forums: partial engine drop.
But basically you disconnect the shift coupler in the tunnel, put a jack under the engine's rear, and pull the two rear engine mount bolts. You then carefully lower the rear of the engine, watching various wires and hoses as you do so. As soon as anything looks like it is getting taught, stop, maybe jack back up a hair. Is something accessible is the stopping point, like the 14 pin electrical connector in the right rear, you can just pull it. This lowers the intake stuff on the front of the engine just enough to give you a lot more reaching room back there.

Don't leave it sitting this way over night without putting a solid block or jack stand under the engine - jacks sometimes slowly leak their pressure and drift lower over the span of 8 or more hours.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
As Walt said..but definitely disconnect the fuel line on top of the fuel filter(black).Also disconnect the el.plug on the rear of the engine(red) to the left rear shock and as mentioned the el.engine harness plug on the rear left of the engine..If you have and oxygen sensor ,disconnect it.Keep an eye on the fuel return(green) line on the left of the engine.The blue i think is for fuel accumulator.(The pic is an earlier 911SC)
Ivan

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that, genius has its limits". Albert Einstein....
Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thank you Walt and Ivan! Appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: