Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Prob a dumb suspension question but I'm gonna ask anyways

1979 SC

I have the car stripped down for paint to basically the bare shell but rolling on its own suspension.
Car weighs 1100lbs in its current state.

If I removed the shocks would the suspension just bottom out on the frame or would it be able to roll around?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's no prob to remove the rear shocks but in the front, the stub axles are welded to the shock/strut so there is no way to roll without that.

The torsion bars keep the suspension from bottoming out.
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
14 BMW X3 - Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Correct. Rear's can come off with no problem.

Other way is to build a body/chassis dolly/cart. There are several examples on here.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ok thanks very much!

On the rears what caution do I need to take when removing them with no engine in there and the torsion bar under load?

I dont have a great understanding of the physics behind the torsion bar and dont want to do anything stupid!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Depends on your shock. Bilsteins act sort of like a spring due to their gas pressure system, so compressing them to put them back on takes some cleverness. With the engine out and the chassis riding higher, ought not to be much of an issue.

Why would you want to remove the shocks in the first place? You can mask them easily enough for painting. Without a rotisserie or cradle of some sort you need the suspension on anyway, as noted.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post

Why would you want to remove the shocks in the first place? You can mask them easily enough for painting. Without a rotisserie or cradle of some sort you need the suspension on anyway, as noted.
I was thinking the rear shock towers that are visible in the engine compartment would get a more thorough paint job without the top of the shock being bolted in position.

The car is so light now Im thinking if I put a jack at the back to compress the suspension a bit to remove the rear that the jack will just lift the car off the lift before it compresses the shock. When I weighed it the other day there was only 250-300 pounds on each of the rear wheels. Guess I can strap the car to the lift arm.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Well, for the rears you could take the nuts and washers and rubber off the top of the rear shocks, and just mask the threaded rod, if it is the engine compartment you are concerned about.

Maybe do the same in the trunk, plus remove the three bolts and the fat washer-like pieces.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Walt
I am shipping the car out of state to a painter I have used on a previous projects. They do spectacular work but almost solely on Cobras and they have not dealt with a 911 before. I am trying to do absolutely as much disassembly as I can prior to sending it for 2 reasons. One being I dont want to pay them for labor I can be doing and two as they have never really done a 911 before I would like to make it as simple as I can mechanically for them. Was just trying to figure out how far down I could take the suspension while still allowing it to roll on its own wheels for loading in the trailer and being moved around at the shop.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I used the "universal dolly" method for transporting mine to bodywork and paint shop, strapped to flat bed.......it worked great.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: