Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wanted to lower my SC...ran into a challenge

Hello all,

Long time 911 fan, and finally picked up my first one last summer after dreaming for 40 years. It's a clean car and drives well....looks stock but has some tasteful mods in my opinion...930 tie rods/lsd/brakes, Billstein, and B&B exhaust/headers, etc.

It rides higher than I'd like and like a lot of you want to get it to a better stance. I've done a lot of searching on this forum to try to figure out what I can do, but figured I should post here.

My car has some modified Fuchs. I believe they're from Lindsey Racing and think Jack Olsen has the same wheels (only wider) on his beautiful '72 RSR. I think mine are 9" in the rear.

I took the car into the local Porsche dealer and they showed me that I don't have much clearance due to the width, and I'm already too close to the oil line (may rub on up travel). The front's rub the inside of the driver side fender on hard turning/backing up (I haven't felt it).

The mechanic suggested I get some spacers to push the wheel out since the adjusting the camber would bring it even closer to the line. Perhaps 10 or 15mm spacer would be enough and also allow me to lower one notch. He was thinking 5mm on the front, and also suggested a bump steering kit.

I've posted my photos and wanted to see what any of you thought.

I've read that spacers aren't advised and can put unwanted load on the bearings, but have read mixed opinions on this. I'm not going to be racing this car...it's simply a cruiser and a car that I enjoy taking my kids on rides, etc. If I didn't have five kids, I'd probably try to do more of the work myself, but the time!?

1. Should I be concerned about the spacers?
2. Do I need the Bump steering kit?

I tried reaching out to Lindsey Racing, but I think they must be out of business, so no luck there either.

Thank you!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
It's hard to know, since those are custom wheels. But a 10 mm spacer should be no big deal, as long as your lug bolts are long enough to fully engage the nuts with the spacers on.

Problem them might be rubbing on the fender lip.

Tell us what size tires you have. Try to measure the rim width as best you can.

I would remove the rear wheel and try to see if you can re-locate the oil line. Another option is Elephant racing and others have replacement oil lines that go over the wheel arch and out of the way.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Spacers work fine. The 930s used spacers from the factory. You probably only need about 7mm anyways
Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Btw, if it were me, I would take a big crescent wrench and slightly bend the oil line in. It won’t take much. I bet the oil line is probably bent anyways. I don’t recall that oil line being close to the tire/wheel at all.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidowntown View Post
Hello all,

Long time 911 fan, and finally picked up my first one last summer after dreaming for 40 years. It's a clean car and drives well....looks stock but has some tasteful mods in my opinion...930 tie rods/lsd/brakes, Billstein, and B&B exhaust/headers, etc.

It rides higher than I'd like and like a lot of you want to get it to a better stance. I've done a lot of searching on this forum to try to figure out what I can do, but figured I should post here.

My car has some modified Fuchs. I believe they're from Lindsey Racing and think Jack Olsen has the same wheels (only wider) on his beautiful '72 RSR. I think mine are 9" in the rear.

I took the car into the local Porsche dealer and they showed me that I don't have much clearance due to the width, and I'm already too close to the oil line (may rub on up travel). The front's rub the inside of the driver side fender on hard turning/backing up (I haven't felt it).

The mechanic suggested I get some spacers to push the wheel out since the adjusting the camber would bring it even closer to the line. Perhaps 10 or 15mm spacer would be enough and also allow me to lower one notch. He was thinking 5mm on the front, and also suggested a bump steering kit.

I've posted my photos and wanted to see what any of you thought.

I've read that spacers aren't advised and can put unwanted load on the bearings, but have read mixed opinions on this. I'm not going to be racing this car...it's simply a cruiser and a car that I enjoy taking my kids on rides, etc. If I didn't have five kids, I'd probably try to do more of the work myself, but the time!?

1. Should I be concerned about the spacers?

I tried reaching out to Lindsey Racing, but I think they must be out of business, so no luck there either.

Thank you!!!

9" fits the back fine when the ET is right I use 9.5 on mine and w/ 255/40 x17 tires there is plenty of room on both sides, when I used 275/40 I had to relocate the oil line down into the crease below where it sits stock and trim the nuts/bolts on the trailing arms.

So the questions that need to be answered wrt your case,what ET and what size tires, you also fail to describe the same in front

Here's mine w/ 225/45 on 8 and 255/40 on 9.5 all in 17, Most won't want to run this low
Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I have 255/40 x 17 on the rear and 205/50 x 17 on the front.

I believe they are 9"in the back...8" in the front (width). Would need to measure again.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I sit on 7x16 & 9x16 Turbo offsets 205/55/16/ & 245/45/16 Touch below euro height. Slight roll to front fenders. No issues otherwise
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Car looks pretty slammed already, I don't think an additional 10mm lowering is going to affect clearance. If you're happy with how the car drives, no real need to spend a bunch on spacers and such.

Also hooray for ruby red coupes.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARISOL78sc View Post
I sit on 7x16 & 9x16 Turbo offsets 205/55/16/ & 245/45/16 Touch below euro height. Slight roll to front fenders. No issues otherwise
Did you roll both front and rear fenders? Thx!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
Car looks pretty slammed already, I don't think an additional 10mm lowering is going to affect clearance. If you're happy with how the car drives, no real need to spend a bunch on spacers and such.

Also hooray for ruby red coupes.
Amen on the Ruby Red :-)

She's currently set at the American spec or higher I believe...so coming down a bit would make a difference on look in my opinion. Always agree on lower cost :-) But even if I did nothing, I think I need to make more clearance for the Oil Line and the fronts are rubbing on strong turns (or had before my ownership)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Gorgeous car, ski--and it looks like you live in an equally gorgeous place. I do love me some Ruby Red and mountains. Welcome!

Car looks fine to me as is, but lowering it is, of course, up to you. My car was equipped with 25mm spacers at the rear when I got it. I originally had a set of 8 x 16s on at the rear, but have since gone back to 7 x 16 Fuchs all the way around. It does require longer wheel studs. I've had no problems at all.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Gorgeous car, ski--and it looks like you live in an equally gorgeous place. I do love me some Ruby Red and mountains. Welcome!

Car looks fine to me as is, but lowering it is, of course, up to you. My car was equipped with 25mm spacers at the rear when I got it. I originally had a set of 8 x 16s on at the rear, but have since gone back to 7 x 16 Fuchs all the way around. It does require longer wheel studs. I've had no problems at all.
Love the white as well. I think white goes especially well on the G-series. I'm sure I'm bias, but I think Porsche does colors best.

I don't want to go too low...at either Euro or just a tad below. Agree that it's not bad now. I love the original 16" Fuchs as well...beautiful car, and I love Seattle.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Second on loving the white.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you roll both front and rear fenders? Thx!
Just the front
Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Offset on the right rear is tight. The clearance due to the oil lines drove my offset choice when I ordered my wheels. It sucks to have to use a spacer and might be be a cost issue to go with different wheels.

Love the Ruby Red.....
Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
^
Maybe....maybe not. You won't know until you lower the car and drive it. I opted for the kit. The roads aren't great where I am and the wheel jerk was a bit startling to me.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG81 View Post
Offset on the right rear is tight. The clearance due to the oil lines drove my offset choice when I ordered my wheels. It sucks to have to use a spacer and might be be a cost issue to go with different wheels.

Love the Ruby Red.....
Right, but selling these wheels/tires and finding new ones is also a cost, so spacers maybe best option. If there's enough room on the lug nuts and still enough clearance from the line, maybe not a bad fix.

Someone above mentioned bending the line a bit as well.

Thx for the compliment on the color!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Looks Euro height to me. Generally, these cars are not meant to be "slammed".
Did you measure it from the ground to the lip?
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

SC ride height

See if the car still has the fat washer between top of shock and body.
targadan
Vintage parts
609 298 2277
carsinc@comcast.net
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I have 255/40 x 17 on the rear and 205/50 x 17 on the front.

I believe they are 9"in the back...8" in the front (width). Would need to measure again.
You need the widths and ETs

if you don't know the ETs at least provide the backspace from the pic it appears to ~6" but a measurement would be informative.

This wheel is prepped to measure backspace, the perpendicular distance from the mounting face to the lath

Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: