Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Name that oilleak

Looking for group help on identifying the leak in the photos below -

I'm getting the engine steam cleaned tomorrow and will also post photos after....

Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You have flywheel seal leaking ,engine top leaking, at least this oil return tubes has marks of oil leak, if the engine looks like this i would recommend to check the case bolts to see if any of them are broken.To do this you need to remove the valve covers.Also front inter.shaft gasket and front pulley seal is most likely leaking..This 911 is in CA?

Ivan
Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Time for a refresh. I wouldn't drive that car, possible fire hazard.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
My 3.0 looked exactly like that. It had the top breather tube leak, the porosity behind the engine mounted oil cooler leak, and a gearbox shifter seal leak.

What does your gearbox look like?
Old 07-26-2019, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jmotorsports View Post
My 3.0 looked exactly like that. It had the top breather tube leak, the porosity behind the engine mounted oil cooler leak, and a gearbox shifter seal leak.

What does your gearbox look like?
Mine wasn't as severe and that's the only issue I had as well on my 3.2
Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the input guys, the motor was dropped as the clutch was recently done and they replaced these -

Oil pressure switch
Thermostat oil ring
Breather hoses (both)
Flywheel seal

There was a minor drip on the floor in the garage before but now leaks(s) have increased. Heading out to get the steam cleaning done shortly and will snap more photos of the gearbox prior to cleaning if I can too.

@Ivan yes in San Diego, CA
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Photos after first pass of cleaning -

Old 07-26-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How is the o-rings are exposed on the oil return tubes. Sorry if that's a dumb question as my tubes are still 1 piece.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I think that is normal as two piece so they must have been replaced at some point.

Read this - https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_oil_return_tube/911_oil_return_tube.htm
Old 07-26-2019, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
How is the o-rings are exposed on the oil return tubes. Sorry if that's a dumb question as my tubes are still 1 piece.
Hard to see from the picture, but they are most likely the circlips that keep the tubes from pulling out, but the picture make them look like o-rings.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-27-2019, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Yes those are the circlips for the two piece oil return tubes.

I see what looks like to be a fresh drip coming off the oil return tubes. As they are already two piece replacements, I would start there with new o rings and lube on each end.

Once the circlips are placed outside the groove using a circlip spreading tool, you can carefully attach a hose clamp to one end of the oil return tube and use an angled pry bar for leverage to push the ends out.

Alternatively, you can see if maybe the mechanic pulled on one of these tubes and dislodged it. Push the ends in and make sure they all look the same.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 07-27-2019, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah that’s actually Simple Green that he sprayed as these photos are cleaning in process. I’ll post some others later if I see a leak surfacing now that it’s clean.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude View Post
There was a minor drip on the floor in the garage before but now leaks(s) have increased.
Oil cooler could be leaking.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
calidyde..it is strange if the clutch job was done and top resealed ,how come they did not clean the engine ..that is basic care for customer....and his 911

Ivan

let`s see more picks close ups
Old 07-28-2019, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
agreed...i'd go back to the shop and show them the before and after. something's not right and that's a substantial leak.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Agree with both of you as also thought it was odd not to have cleaned the engine and transmission while out

Still not satisfied that this isnít cleaner as I may scrub off some of the baked on stuff with brake cleaner. Itís still not a smoking gun to the exact leak either...

Here are a couple of photos close up and it looks like the service bulletin that I found in this post - Is this leak from the oil cooler

Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Hereís some more including the other leak which looks like the pulley seal.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage

Closeup of pipe area
Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
the oil leak you are pointing to at the cooler was actually eliminated on later models. Is your`s 1988?

Use the JB weld as you can see the procedure in the other link...on your pics circle the oil it is too clean to see the new oil...
Ivan

still i do not get -the shop had your engine out and they did not do the front pulley seal?i wonder now if they did the engine top..correctly
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: