Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Snapped Cyl Head Temp Sensor

I was swapping out the two reference sensors (flywheel) and the Cyl Head Temp sensor today as they rubber coating on the wires had dry rotted and fallen away and the plastic connectors were failing in the engine bay. All went well with the two reference sensors - however, when I put a deep socket on the Cly Head Sensor - it began to come out after a couple turns with the rachet - it kept feeling like it was backing out right up until the bolt end snapped off the sensor leaving the threaded part still in the cylinder head. There is a good bit exposed to grab onto with needle nose vice grips but it is not coming out.

I will post a pic shortly - however anyone run into this and have any ideas on how to get the remaining piece out so I can complete the job?

Thanks.

Dave

1985 Carrera 911 Cabriolet - Grand Prix White / Black interior and top.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Jump the sensor connector, start the engine to get the head warm or hot, and then try to remove the stub.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Some people would weld a nut to it.

I'd soak it in penetrating oil and then try what Glenn suggests. Most people think you should soak it for a few minutes, but I think you should squirt some on every day for a few days.

If you have the new temp sensor, you can plug it in and the car will fire right up.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys - I will try soaking it a good bit over the next couple days. I have run the new sensor wires and have everything connected up and it will start. However, what caused to change out the reference, speed and temp sensors to begin with was an issue I was having with it stalling at idle and and losing power at times while driving. Any ideas on what this could be? I have swapped out the DME, changed the sensors, have a new ignition switch. Only thing I have not checked is the coil, distributor and spark plug wires. What is the correct path for diagnosing this vs. throwing more new parts at it?

Dave

Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I needed the new ignition switch. The ref and speed sensors were dry rotted and needed replacing. I bought a new DME at the advice of all those on this forum - to have in the glove box for the day that you need it. Would love to get some words of wisdom here and solve this issues so I can get her back on the road.

Thx.

Dave

Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: