Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
RSR CC Speedline build. Here goes nothing!

For the last several months I’ve been building my take on a 73 RSR hotrod. I started with a light yellow ‘74 non-sunroof coupe. I have a lonnnnng way to go but figured I shouldn’t wait any longer to start this build thread. I acquired the roller from Techweenie here on the forum. I couldn’t be happier as I have a thing for keeping cars in their original color and since I love porsche’s that are fun, bright colors, helgelb couldn’t be a better choice. The car will be visually a 73 RSR but I will not be attempting to build any sort of accurate RSR. I may borrow some cues and pay homage here and there but I’m building this car into what I feel is the ultimate long hood hotrod. My goal is using aluminum body panels like hood and ducktail frame but also including a maybe a bit of a lofty goal to do aluminum doors or at least aluminum door skins. Planning to do a 4.0l with kinsler 50mm ITBs, shortened G50 trans, custom “RSR” brakes and suspension. To try and be a tad different on the fuchs I would like to go with a 3pc style finished in an RSR scheme. Interior will be lean and clean with some added custom touches to the dash, side trims and headliner. Will be likely only running carpet on the flat part of the floor and stripping the rest. Leather wrapped aluminum roll bar, Repa replica harnesses and much more. Let’s get this party started!!

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 02:13 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
First order of business was to strip out the body of all parts

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
But of course a dolly was next

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I’ll end tonight on a frustrating note with some images that I cannot get to post upright for whatever reason.

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
. . . and since I love porsche’s that are fun, bright colors, helgelb couldn’t be a better choice. . . .
You definitely have an optical malformity, bro (ya' upside down and sideways posting bisch! )!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Nice!

Love your rotisserie. As for the pics, open them in Paint if you're on a PC and save them (or rotate and save) and then re-upload. You can start a new post, upload to that new post, then copy the img urls, don't actually submit that one, instead, edit your original post by pasting in your new img upload URLs. my poor neck.

Yellow rules! The 3pc Fuchs sound awesome.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 11-09-2019, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Sub'd.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Nice!

Love your rotisserie. As for the pics, open them in Paint if you're on a PC and save them (or rotate and save) and then re-upload. You can start a new post, upload to that new post, then copy the img urls, don't actually submit that one, instead, edit your original post by pasting in your new img upload URLs. my poor neck.

Yellow rules! The 3pc Fuchs sound awesome.
Thanks for teaching me how to that. I was joking because the car is being flipped around on the rotisserie. They are correct on my I-phone. Are they truly crooked on your end?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I promise not to harass you on the thread like you harassed me, I also promise not to post pics you text me before they are posted here

But this is gonna be good,....let me make it clear, if not for this individual and his knowledge I wouldn’t have gotten through my last build.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
I promise not to harass you on the thread like you harassed me, I also promise not to post pics you text me before they are posted here

But this is gonna be good,....let me make it clear, if not for this individual and his knowledge I wouldn’t have gotten through my last build.
Lol touché
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
It goes without saying that going from a 74 to a 73 requires some changes to be made to the hood and fenders. Technically the latch panel does not need to be changed but it’s definitely the cleaner looking way to go. I’m not certain yet whether I will be using an OE latch set-up as I will be running exterior straps or latches but may run a secondary latch for safety. Additionally I will be putting a brace connecting the two front A-arm mounting points for added stiffening so I will be replacing the front support and battery support in addition to the nose panel. Back to the fenders. When doing a backdate there are two main options with regards to the fenders. Either take the later model fenders and add the early turn signal lamp housings or get actual early fenders. Since I’m going 9” wide in the front there’s an additional consideration to be made as you now can decide to add early signal housings to turbo fenders or add flares to early fenders. I would say it mainly comes down to what style of flares you want to use and after much deliberation I decided the turbo flares are cleaner looking than the RSR style flares. Turbo front fenders and early housings it is. More to be shown later on the lamp housings as I will need the aluminum hood and rsr bumper all mocked up before welding anything. Turbo fenders are used OE, new sheet metal is Restoration Design and hood being used for mock-up is an used OE steel hood

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I will be doing a center fill hood fuel filler so oem fuel door needs to be shaved from left fender along with side markers

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-25-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Looks nice- love your rotisserie with additional attachment points than most that I have seen. Very nice.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
. . . I also promise not to post pics you text me before they are posted here

. . .
If I were to post pics that Nathan texts me, I would get an instant ban (again! ) and probably an unpleasant contact from PETA!!!

Yo' Nathan, is that you sporting the sexy, auto-dark face rig, or one of your hired gunz?! Regardless, nice work on the fuel filler buttplug! Is that filler piece hand-made, or purchased? It looks really good either way.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 11-09-2019 at 11:03 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
If I were to post pics that Nathan texts me, I would get an instant ban (again! ) and probably an unpleasant contact from PETA!!!

Yo' Nathan, is that you sporting the sexy, auto-dark face rig, or one of your hired gunz?! Regardless, nice work on the fuel filler buttplug! Is that filler piece hand-made, or purchased? It looks really good either way.
Lol. No that’s one of my “hired guns” Domenico. He’s an amazingly talented fabricator. He fabbed the filler piece. PS I’m a painter I wish I could fab like this
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post

Definitely a hired gun man. You ever see Nathan’s hands? Cleanest hands in the biz...he comes in at the 4000 hour mark, sprays some paint, then back to the office chair
Old 11-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Quote:
Definitely a hired gun man. You ever see Nathan’s hands? Cleanest hands in the biz...he comes in at the 4000 hour mark, sprays some paint, then back to the office chair
We’ll see, if I stay as busy as I’ve been I’ll be blocking my own car and don’t diminish how much work it is to wrangle and direct you “hard workers”
Old 11-10-2019, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
It makes perfect sense that a dude(?) who has a thing for pinks, purples, gaudy greens, and flashy yellows would also be a connoisseur of manicure equipment and hand lotion!

Old 11-10-2019, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Straightened out some minor funkiness on the turbo fenders and rear turbo flares mocked up. Will not be welding rear flares until I have suspension, wheels and rear bumper on. As mentioned previously I heavily contemplated going with RSR flares but they are a bit wonky to me and offer no additional function over the turbo flares that I’m aware of so I went with what has the nicer form, which was turbo.

Last edited by nathanbs; 11-22-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Old 11-11-2019, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Nathan, you know what you need to go along with those sweet Turbo flares - a manstyle boosted engine topped with a yuuuuggggeeee intercooler (your favorite, engine bay look)!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: