Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Deck Lid Strut

Looks like I have only one Deck Lid Strut. Its worn out! ...located on the driver side. this seem right? Which should I buy to replace? I now have a spoiler but may go back to a lid without it. Is there a strut that is good for with and without the spoiler?

Old 01-03-2020, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

that would be correct for the original engine cover. non-spoiler cars only had a single strut on the left hand side. spoiler cars had 2 struts, one on each side. not sure what to say about a single strut option to hold a spoiler deck lid. hopefully someone else will chime in here with a solution.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I dont see a fitting for another strut.
thanks
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

There are a number of options and solutions. Check out the new Rennline offering.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
have you tried the Rennline Mechanical Deck lid Strut? Is ONE STRUT going to hold a heavy lid AND not cause a problem with a light lid?...may go with and without spoiler to time to time.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I have not. Are you trying to use the same strut for 2 different weight lids? A mechanical strut or 2 is probably the best solution. A single gas strut likely won’t support the heavier lid and 2 gas struts may be a bit much for the lighter.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

As noted, non-tail cars came with one strut on the left side. The right side hinge has no provisions for a strut. However, the clips for a right side strut should be on the firewall. So, on the advice of Draco, I found a right side deck lid hinge from a turbo car on ebay. This has a triangular bracket for strut attachment. I swapped this out for the factory hinge and installed stabilus heavy duty shocks on each side. Works perfectly. Remember it's not only the weight of the tail but also the A/C condenser they support. Should be no problem with tail removed, as the people who have issues are the ones who put to much on one side which causes the deck lid to twist. Even force should be good either way.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Here's my $0.02 -

The gas-struts are junk, all of them. The market is dominated by one supplier globally who makes a ton (or is that tonne) of them, and while *nothing* is supposed to last forever, this application is subject to a LOT more heat ("air-cooled") which is the enemy to the natural gas law (Pv=nRT), and also: with the "one side mount" solution, the strut will try to push the left side up a bit even while the lid is closed: making for alignment issues.

I installed the (expensive, IMO) Rennline mechanical strut, which will not cause the alignment issue like the gas strut can.

All said: spring for the Rennline one (our host has for about $75 + shipping) and you can switch your tail/no-tail as much as you'd like and you don't have to worry about installing a new strut.

+1 for the rennline solution.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
There are a number of options and solutions. Check out the new Rennline offering.
I recently installed the Rennline struts on the front hood of my 86. Glad I did. I was able to toss away my bamboo support. Thinking about doing my engine lid too. Have the Carrera tail and have been using a collapsible rod to keep it open for years. If you try them let us know how it works out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"Having a sports car that you only take to car shows is like having a race horse you only take to the petting zoo"
Old 01-03-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I installed the Rennline mechanical strut on my fiberglass deck lid and am very satisfied with it, eliminated most all the misalignment. I do all my own service work but if the occasion ever arose where I needed to have work done, I would likely disconnect one end. Not sure the mechanic would remember to lift to close.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
I would likely disconnect one end. Not sure the mechanic would remember to lift to close.
Said many a 356 owner.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

My struts need replaced, and I think the Rennline is a perfect solution, but I saw a rumpled hood on a 356 last month that gives me some pause...
Old 01-04-2020, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Said many a 356 owner.
Yup. Mine came with a case of "gas station attendent-itis" as it's called.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Almost Done

Garage
I replaced gas strut with renlline mechanixal and its ideal..even in cold weather i dont fear a bang on the head anymore
Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I mounted two struts when I added the tail decklid on my Targa. I just used some extra hardware of two 1.25" (maybe 1.5"?) long machine screws with some extra nuts for spacing the two struts. Once I pull the release, I still have to lift the decklid to assist in up, but I have no problems with it sagging or dropping once open.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 01-04-2020, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It should be noted that much of the time, the struts are installed incorrectly which will shorten their life, such as in all the pictures above. The correct orientation is with the piston pointing down when the decklid is in the closed position, allowing the oil inside to keep the rubber piston ring lubricated, retaining the nitrogen gas inside from leaking. In the case of the rear decklid, when closed, the strut tilts downward towards the firewall, so the piston end should face towards the firewall.

https://www.stabilus.com/service-spare-parts/installation-hints-and-tips/?popup=940
Old 01-04-2020, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
I mounted two struts when I added the tail decklid on my Targa. I just used some extra hardware of two 1.25" (maybe 1.5"?) long machine screws with some extra nuts for spacing the two struts. Once I pull the release, I still have to lift the decklid to assist in up, but I have no problems with it sagging or dropping once open.

WHAT HE DID ^^^^. I did the same double strut fix that Mark shows. I have the extra weight of a tea tray turbo spoiler and everything has worked perfect for the last 25yrs. Have absolutely no twist or wonkiness left to right on my lid. Just my experience.
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 01-04-2020, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgurnari View Post
Looks like I have only one Deck Lid Strut. Its worn out! ...located on the driver side. this seem right? Which should I buy to replace? I now have a spoiler but may go back to a lid without it. Is there a strut that is good for with and without the spoiler?

How about a stick or PVC pipe of suitable length ?

That's what I use.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
BTW...there are at least 2-3 additional existing threads on these hood struts.

Just do a search and type in "hood struts".

It's a popular topic and those old threads seem to cover it all just about.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
deck lid , lid , spoiler , strut , tail