Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Anyone else have this noise at some point? Steering wheel plastic rub?

It sorta just started happening last week. When I press a little it goes away. PO had the Momo hex screws on super tight and I have to get a better T hex wrench or I am afraid of stripping the bolts.

I sounds like something when turning is rubbing on the plastic..

https://youtu.be/NSQJXpRa3BI

Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Hi Hotshot, this has nothing to do with the momo hex bolts, as the hub and steering wheel are 1 assembly turning together.
What could be causing this is that the retaining clip on the steering shaft is missing, the hub should butt against that when tightened. If there is no clip the hub can touch the plastic shroud behind it.
Best would be to take of the steering wheel and check.
Second culprit could be the steering shaft bush thats worn out.
Early S member #1969
Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
did you lubricate your horn contact plate??
Ivan
Old 05-13-2020, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Ivan
^^This. Use some lithium grease or similar conductive lubricant.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Ivan
Nope. What kind of grease Proporsche? Dielectric?

All done by the PO.. never been in the wheel assembly before. Didnít have the need. Guess I have to get in there now. Iím just scared to strip those hex bolts.

Thankfully the PO gave me the stock wheel too if it goes south.

I only noticed it the other day after my alignment.. I tapped the plastic and it went away. Came back yesterday.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You add lubricant to the horn contact without going too deep into the steering assy. Just remove the steering wheel and you can see where the horn contact is (fixed to the top of steering column). Add lube there. Best is to use contact cleaner first (De-Oxit D5), then use conductive grease (lithium works OK).
Old 05-14-2020, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
You add lubricant to the horn contact without going too deep into the steering assy. Just remove the steering wheel and you can see where the horn contact is (fixed to the top of steering column). Add lube there. Best is to use contact cleaner first (De-Oxit D5), then use conductive grease (lithium works OK).
Thx! My issues is getting the Momo hex screws out to get the wheel off, or are you saying I can pop the horn button off and do it?
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry, you have to take the wheel off. Do you mean the Allen head screws (not hex)? Add a little Kroil to them, wait a few minutes. If the Allen socket is not stripped, add some leverage with a small pipe to lengthen the arm to crack them loose. I don't have a Momo wheel; do you have to take the wheel off the hub at all? Can't you just remove the big 27 mm nut with wheel on the hub? Maybe a photo will help...
Old 05-14-2020, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O View Post
Sorry, you have to take the wheel off. Do you mean the Allen head screws (not hex)? Add a little Kroil to them, wait a few minutes. If the Allen socket is not stripped, add some leverage with a small pipe to lengthen the arm to crack them loose. I don't have a Momo wheel; do you have to take the wheel off the hub at all? Can't you just remove the big 27 mm nut with wheel on the hub? Maybe a photo will help...
Good point now that i think of it..

Yes i meant Allan head sorry.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
any grease will do no too much just a little bit on the horn plate...
Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

You only need to remove the horn button to reach the nut to loosen your steering wheel. No need to touch the hex/allen screws.
Early S member #1969
Old 05-14-2020, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had the same noise last month.

Replaced these two parts:
Horn ring on steering wheel
Horn contact on steering column
Old 05-14-2020, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Analog Air Cooled

Garage
Ivan for the Win! Thx guys. I you were right that I didnít need to take the Allanís out. And there never coving out.

A little rub for sure. The PO must have gotten a spacer and a turn signal stopper with the MOMO because I gave all the orig parts on the orig wheel and decided to try it out. I love the MOMO but Iíll try this orig one.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
glad for you, dude;-)))

Ivan
Old 05-14-2020, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Very interesting. I assumed that sound was due to a bushing of some sort in the column. Good to know a little grease should quiet it down.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Locker..yes the little contact slides on the horn plates..back in the 1980`s it was basic maintance procedure in our shop to take the steering wheel off to lubricate the plate contact..of course not all the times but to prevent this noise for clients ...
Ivan

my boss told me that plenty of times to do this...courtesy to customers...
this contact has to be lubricated where it meets the horn plate..
https://www.carpoint.de/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/5b56939e0403db4021c59974cf25a42d/h/u/hupenstift_kurz.jpg
Old 05-14-2020, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When you put the wheel back on I believe it has to be turned a bit so you dont snap off the self canceling nub on the switch
Old 05-14-2020, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
you should always take off the st.wheel in the strait position ,this way you do not have to worry about snapping the cancel tip of..also you do not have to do it all over again so your wheel is trait when you drive;-)))
Ivan
Old 05-14-2020, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Analog Air Cooled

Garage
I marked the Momo. The Porsche one still has OG markings. And the wheels are straight.

Most fixes have been de oxidation and bending things....
Old 05-14-2020, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
BY the way, take good care of that horn contact where you put the grease (known as a "wiper contact"...it is NLA here on Pelican...

Old 05-14-2020, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: