Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R&D guy

Power window fix hint

The car: '87 3.2 with approximately 70k miles

The problem: the driver's side power window switch for the passenger side window went from intermittent to not functional. A short time later, the other power window switch was intermittently functional and then didn't work at all.

I cleaned the fuse contacts (which helped before) but that made no difference.

The answer: I pulled the relay, cleaned the contacts, and lo and behold everything worked!

Lesson learned: Check the simple stuff first, and electrical contact oxidation (like rust) never sleeps.

Btw: The easy way to get to the power window relay in my '87 was to pull the fuel/oil gauge and access it that way rather than via the trunk.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks - got a similar thing beginning to happen. Passenger side switch still works though. Figured I’d spray with contact cleaner before I went deeper. But, this is option #2.

Did you take a picture of the relay? Also, hate pulling gauges....boo.

1987 3.2 Carrera Coupe - Venetian Blue
Instagram - roblkendrick
Old 05-17-2020, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Is the relay not next to the fuel pump relay on the fuse panel? Maybe I need to check mine before delving into the passenger regulator. The passenger side is slow to go up and down and sometimes not at all.
74 914 with no engine, soon to have a 6.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
R&D guy

To address both of the follow-up posts:

The relay in 1986 (?) to 1989 is rectangular and behind the gauges, before that it is round and on the fuse panel.

I didn't take a photo, but there is a good one at:
power window switch or relay help

I don't like pushing out gauges either, but I was able to reach in through the trunk and push one of the gauges part of the way out, from there it was easy to pull it out from the inside which gave me easy access to push the oil/fuel gauge and access the relay.

I just wish fixing the A/C was this easy.

Last edited by dw1; 05-18-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: