Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
power window switch or relay help

1985 911 Carrera

Problem: The passenger window will go down but not up using either passenger window switches. It will go up if I switch the blue wires.

1. The motor will raise and lower the window when connected to 12 volts (eliminates bad motor?)

2. The passenger switch works on the driver’s window (eliminates bad switch?)

This leads me to believe the power window relay is bad. But, I read here that the relay was good if one door window works (the driver window works and goes up and down correctly)

Pretty sure I wrote down all the wires correctly by color and location.

Need help with:
1. Need to know if relay is the problem if door switch works
2. Need to know if there is a way to trouble shoot the relay
3. Need a wiring diagram for each the three door switches.
- Driver and Driver – Passenger switches have red motor wires and the passenger side has the blue ones.
- All three switches have a brown (ground) and a red/white and a red/black wire.
- Need to be sure I have them all in the right positions as marked on the bottom of the switch numbers 1 thorough 5

THANKS

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Window switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrjoe View Post
1985 911 Carrera

Problem: The passenger window will go down but not up using either passenger window switches. It will go up if I switch the blue wires.

1. The motor will raise and lower the window when connected to 12 volts (eliminates bad motor?)

2. The passenger switch works on the driver’s window (eliminates bad switch?)

This leads me to believe the power window relay is bad. But, I read here that the relay was good if one door window works (the driver window works and goes up and down correctly)

Pretty sure I wrote down all the wires correctly by color and location.

Need help with:
1. Need to know if relay is the problem if door switch works
2. Need to know if there is a way to trouble shoot the relay
3. Need a wiring diagram for each the three door switches.
- Driver and Driver – Passenger switches have red motor wires and the passenger side has the blue ones.
- All three switches have a brown (ground) and a red/white and a red/black wire.
- Need to be sure I have them all in the right positions as marked on the bottom of the switch numbers 1 thorough 5

THANKS
Hope this helps. (For our '86).

Good luck,

pm me as needed.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."

Last edited by 86 911 Targa; 04-10-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

I have the EXACT same symptoms as you do! I've been having problems for at least a year and I've just not put the passenger window down. Looking forward to see if you figure it out because I'd like to have a functioning passenger window.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wine User

Garage
Check the wiring based on the photos Gerry posted. The switches just pop out pretty easy, just be careful that you pry the plastic switches and not the metal retainer on the door panel.

Luck
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Don't mean to ambush or hijack this thread, but I've been doing research on power window relays for the last few days, in that my mechanic has diagnosed a faulty relay for the battery drain in my '89. Gerry....looks like your picture is of the later relay (as found on the 86-89 years), as my Bentley shows the round type found on the fuse block for the '85 models. Mine looks like your pic....located under the dash behind the tach and speedo (accessed as you have indicated). Also on the '85 model relay, Bentley (if it's correct) shows the battery/ignition wire connected to #86, the fused wire connected to #30, #85 to ground, #85b to the door contact switches and #87 to another fuse and eventually to the power window switches. Anyway, I'm a "bush league amateur" when it comes to electronic issues and really have to depend on a step-by-step (with pics) method for troubleshooting. Will shut up now.
2008 Honda Accord
2008 Ford Ranger

Last edited by curiousone940; 04-13-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousone940 View Post
Don't mean to ambush or hijack this thread, but I've been doing research on power window relays for the last few days, in that my mechanic has diagnosed a faulty relay for the battery drain in my '89. Gerry....looks like your picture is of the later relay (as found on the 86-89 years), as my Bentley shows the round type found on the fuse block for the '85 models. Mine looks like your pic....located under the dash behind the tach and speedo (accessed as you have indicated). Also on the '85 model relay, Bentley (if it's correct) shows the battery/ignition wire connected to #86, the fused wire connected to #30, #85 to ground, #85b to the door contact switches and #87 to another fuse and eventually to the power window switches. Anyway, I'm a "bush league amateur" when it comes to electronic issues and really have to depend on a step-by-step (with pics) method for troubleshooting. Will shut up now.
Marc,

Here is a copy of the factory manual for our '86 which I think is compatible with the 87-89.

Along with the relay location.

Gerry
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Orrjoe...back to your original question, there is a way to bench-test your relay, but I don't think it's always definitive. You really need to make sure you have the correct wiring diagram for your relay/power window system first. On the relay, determine the correct points for the coil part of the relay (on Gerry's diagram/pics, #85 would be the positive feed (12 volts) and #86 would be the ground)....apply 12 volts to #85, ground #86 and you should hear a "click" from the relay. You can also do the same thing, but then apply 12 volts to #30 and a voltmeter to #87....you should get the "click" as well as a 12 volt reading on #87. As far as the window switches themselves, I'd follow Gerry's wiring diagram with a voltmeter set to resistance and make sure there is continuity on all wires as well as the switches (when activated).
2008 Honda Accord
2008 Ford Ranger
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

P/w relay.

Here's a little more help:

Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Another possibility...

Hi All,

I know this is an older thread, but very helpful! I have been working through an intermittent window problem. For my '86, both windows would stop together or work together. I pulled the relay behind the oil pressure gauge and it was working just fine and when I jumpered the connector I still got no joy. I finally found the problem while jiggling the door wire connector at the to of the closing panel. It worked for a sec and then stopped again. The connector looked just fine and then working down the wire I found this...

I originally thought it was a mouse bite, but I think it was just chaffing of the wire in the door jamb. When I pulled the wire bundle out enough to see it, there was a small hole and some wire showing. I cut back the sheath a bit as I could see meltage in there. It obviously had shorted out a bit, but thanks to the PO wrapping the fuse (#1) in aluminum foil, the wire became the fuse. Lucky, that bundle is really long so it won't be too upset to loose a little wire length when I splice it all back together. There was also a small hole cut in the sheath up higher where it was accessible probably to check for voltage in the wires.. I'm assuming this had been an issue for a while...

Franny

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: