Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Ok, The glass guy called me early in the morning yesterday and chickened out. Made up some excuse blah blah blah.... Dork. Wasted a week waiting for this guy that wouldn't do the job unless it was in his shop...

So instead of finishing body panels I got pissed and installed the thing myself. Here's what I did.

Set up a good work table, covered it with a shipping blanket to protect the glass. Cleaned the glass, both sides.

Installing the rubber is a task in itself. You need to work it on the glass and get it in the outer channel. I had less of a challenge as the defrost wiring was corroded and detached from the glass. The owner didn't want it repaired, just installed as is. I started in a corner and worked the gasket in to be sure the gasket would be set in the proper orientation. I worked the bottom section first and added some tape as others showed they did to secure the gasket until it was fully installed. The upper rounded corners wanted to slip off so I left tape in them until the glass was set in place.

After the gasket was installed I did the trim.

You need to remember the mark the glass in the center to get the trim installed correctly. If you look closely at the photo you will see I marked the glass with a sharpie.

I didn't photo the rope but I used para cord and glass cleaner then moved to dish soap to help my hook tool slide along as I pushed in the cord. It took a long time to get the cord in the glass channel. I made a tool you can probably buy to help with the install. It was absolutely invaluable! It's just a simple hook from the building supply store. I filed the end thinner and rounded the tip.

I have floor anchors in my floor so I blocked the car ( no engine) and used a strap like others have done. My son was pushing and slapping the glass as I pulled the rope. It's a good thing I double roped it as some spots did not take on the first pass. I started at the top of the glass. I used my hook to help get the corners in. Here's the glass installed. Thanks to others that posted here.

WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.

Last edited by rich; 05-20-2014 at 05:05 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you so much for your help. Even thou it was a major pain in the butt!, your tips and trips really helped! I appreciate your posts.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Strap... nice Kevin. Comps to PBS for wire extension note.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Folks, do I need any other seals other than the one wrapped around the window when I do this procedure? I've been told that I may, but nowhere in this thread is there any mention of other seals/parts.

Your advice is appreciated.

Roch.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochmartin View Post
Hey Folks, do I need any other seals other than the one wrapped around the window when I do this procedure? I've been told that I may, but nowhere in this thread is there any mention of other seals/parts.

Your advice is appreciated.

Roch.
There is a sliver of trim that mounts at the base of the targa bar and extends along the belt line for a distance. I think I remember installing a thin rubber strip under that trim . First one I did so it's a vague memory. Look there anyway.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The hook in the metal trim is supposed to be looking up like in the photo, because the one I recently bought is looking down, it keeps popping out of the seal.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

old one here, does anybody have any pics of how the wiring harness for the defroster gets connected up through the rear Targa glass seal and the glass itself.? any help appreciated
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This was worth subscribing too - so I caught your request. These pictures are from 13 years ago and the Targa is no longer with me... I can not improve on what I have. I did the whole install using the tricks in this thread - without assistance. Good luck.

2015 Fusion, 2012 Outback, 2019 Crosstrek, 2018 Impreza wagon
Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow, I just finished my first targa rear window install. What a learning experience!!! Took the better part of 3 days of trial and error. I think I can do one now in a couple of hours. Key tips are;

Soak the seal in HOT water for a few minutes. Makes it more pliable so it can be slipped on the glass with a bit twisting and pushing. Use tape to hold it as you go... the trim will actually help in the end with holding it.

Buy a set of blue plastic Harbor Freight trim pry bars. Makes handy tools for moving the rubber around. Also, make one of the hook tools as described above, very useful.

With the seal on the glass, lube up the trim slot with glycerin from the pharmacy. Then use some channel locks with rubber hose slipped over the jaws. You can then twist the seal enough while applying light pressure to trim. Slips right in no sweat.

Use the over the car strap to pull down on the front of the glass. Secure to a 2x4 under the car that another board under the tires is holding down.

The seal will twist around and the glass edge will pop into the defroster channel in the seal. This caused me the biggest headaches, and I removed and reinstalled the glass 3 times because of this (worst at the back center; if the glass is pushed down at the back it was even worse). I found the you can tease and twist the seal back into position easily from the inside with the HF pry bars, so do that after the glass is all seated and the strap is off.

I will have to do it again in a few months, but I am smarter now (with a few cuts to show for it)!

Steve

Last edited by Cornerlot; 03-26-2017 at 07:12 PM..
Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

...and where do you gents get your rear glass?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Feeding heater wires through rear Targa window seal

I drilled 4 - 1/4" holes through the new rear window seal with my dremel tool. I then put silicone on the female spade connectors. Used a c clip expander tool to spread the 1/4" holes and the spade connectors slipped right through. No need to cut and reconnect the spade connectors or remove the factory wiring to feed the wires through.

Let's see how the glass install goes!

Old 05-11-2020, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: