Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to air-cool-me
Quote:
Since I don't have access to a turbo 911 I can't create a MAP for it.
wasent that the next step? did you give up on this project?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #381 (permalink)

I haven't given up, I just need to get off my A$$ and finish it up. All that is left is plumbing the wastegate.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #382 (permalink)

hop to it!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #383 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by air-cool-me
hop to it!
Hope you're kidding, since Tony has done a ton of work on this and he really doesn't need to do any more to make it work with your system. given that whatever he builds will not be a BAE kit anyway, you will need to do a little legwork. The megasquirt community could help you customize the maps a little from Tony's base. May not even be necessary with low pressure.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #384 (permalink)

^^^^^

yes... i was kidding.

i followed tonys work from almost the start.... looks like he put alot of work into it

Last edited by air-cool-me; 04-05-2005 at 10:16 PM..
Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #385 (permalink)

Tony said: " I haven't given up, I just need to get off my A$$ and finish it up. All that is left is plumbing the wastegate. "

I just cringe when I see a variation of the "All ya gotta do ... " phraseology. As in: wife, "Please do thus and so. All ya gotta do is ..."

Thoroughly admire your work on this Tone, and enjoy reading your reports. Good luck!

Brian
Old 04-06-2005, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #386 (permalink)

Hi Glasgow 911SC,
The map Tony supplies was perfect for the initial fireup and test drive around the block. After the maiden cruise I just set it up for logging and drove it. I then took the logs and ran them through MSTweak3000 and it suggested a couple changes. This is a very solid setup and makes it easy to get it just right. This is my daily driver so I get lots of time driving it and take logs once a month to check if any changes are suggested. It allows you to play with it or just leave it alone.

I don't have accesss to a dyno accept seat of the pants, however the throttle response is nice. The car seems to run smoother and gas milage has improved too.

About the water tight comments. I live in SW Florida where it doesn't just rain, it pours and it pours every day during the evening commute. I've had no issues with the electronics getting damaged by the moisture. If it can handle 98% humidity for 9 months every year I think it will hold up as is. I will say, I didn't mount it under the seat just incase it does flood.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #387 (permalink)

mdanna where did you mount the Megasquirt unit? Any pics?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #388 (permalink)

There are numbers of ways to use turbo with thos setup in efficient and cheap manner.

I'll give you a hint:

1. Buy Tony's EFI conversion kit, use 2-bars MAP.
2. Do a turbo installation on your SC.
3. Buy wideband O2 logger from our host
4. Install WBO2 sensor in exhaust pipe, use simulated NBO2 output from LM1 to feed the Megasquirt
5. Pop Tony's map just so you can start the car and do some initial tuning.
6. Drive out on the open road (better & cheaper than dyno time) and do more tuning toghether with LM1

You could have map done in matter of days, w/o doing expensive dyno-time. You will learn something too.

First one to make working turbo map should share it to other MS-afficionados so it could be used as "turboconverted SC base map" that other could start with.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #389 (permalink)

I will be in need of a 911/930 map soon. Even a NA map would be helpful, but if someone could share one of a hot cam ported 930 with headers and a carrera manifold I would appreciate it greatly.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #390 (permalink)

Any thoughts on this fitting a 73.5 911T with CIS? Very interested as most of the 73.5 CIS parts are NLA.

Trouble shooting CIS probs as we speak.

'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #391 (permalink)

cneilson,

First thing to check is that the intake runners are the same as the 911SC. I don't think they are though. Have a look here and compare with your intake runners:

http://www.bitzracing.com/products/injector_bungs/injectorbungsdetails.html

Cheers,
Old 04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #392 (permalink)

I am interested in the 2.7L application. Has one been installed with all bugs worked out?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #393 (permalink)

Yes, there has been a 2.7L install. Here is a picture of one:

http://www.bitzracing.com/gallery/Ted_75_911S.html
Old 04-10-2005, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #394 (permalink)
Armed Bastard

What injectors?

Here's a quick question regarding injectors - I have a bunch of leftover 944na injectors from a car I used to own - would these work for the conversion?

I'm hoping to use various 944 bits to complete a partial kit from bitzracing - anyone have any opinions as to what other problems I might run into?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #395 (permalink)

Depending on their flow rate they might be too small.

Then again the 944 is a large 4 banger.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #396 (permalink)
Armed Bastard

Well, I've done a little bit of searching online and it seems like the 944 injectors were also used in the 3.2l Carrera, so I don't think I have to worry about flow rates after all (that was my concern, along with impedence). So I may be good to go!

Incidentally, the flow rate is 21.8 lbs/hr (I think) according to Stan Weis' fuel injector page:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

The 944/Carrera injectors are listed as Bosch part #0-280-150-158, if I'm looking at the right thing.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #397 (permalink)

Whoops, sorry for my skepticism but I wasn't paying attention and assumed this was the CIS to EFI for turbos thread I subscribed to.

I bought a carrera manifold and it did have 22 lbs injectors in it. Those will work perfectly for you.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #398 (permalink)

Re: What injectors?

Quote:
Originally posted by djb25
Here's a quick question regarding injectors - I have a bunch of leftover 944na injectors from a car I used to own - would these work for the conversion?

I'm hoping to use various 944 bits to complete a partial kit from bitzracing - anyone have any opinions as to what other problems I might run into?

Thanks!
Need to know flow rate to determine if they are good enough, but if 4 injectors are good enough for a 2.0L 944 engine, then 6 should be good enough for a 2.7L 911 engine.

Note however I've tested some used injectors I bought in the past and they don't always flow very well. If you have one bad injector, then one cylinder will run poorly. You can get them professionally cleaned, but that is almost half the price of a set of new ones.

Cheers,
Old 05-03-2005, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #399 (permalink)
Armed Bastard

Tony,

I saw on your website that the partial kit needed high-impedence injectors to be completed, but I thought I read elsewhere that the megasquirt could use either high or low impedence?

I'm hoping to be able to get away with the low impedence 944 injectors for now, because the EFI kit is (hopefully) going to be a stepping stone to turbocharging (since I also have a lot of 944 Turbo items laying around - including a turbo, wastegate, blowoff valve, etc.).

- Damion
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #400 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: