Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to djb_rh Send a message via Yahoo to djb_rh
Anyone got a clue why my car has started idling at random places between 1600 and 3000 RPMs? It seems to "stick" at a given idle for a while (as in each time I return to idle), but doesn't necessarily stay through the next on/off cycle. It can change without a key off event. It locks in on whatever it feels like being at pretty well, but obviously idling at 3k is quite annoying. Or anything over 1600 or so, really.

What's perplexing is that it isn't the same wrong. Thoughts?

Edited to add: Throttle linkage and return spring *appears* to be fine. Blipping the throttle doesn't do anything to help. It'll just return to whatever wrong idle it's currently stuck at.

--Donnie
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #581 (permalink)

Garage
So Nux ... I take it you have a 3.0 ? ... with your pictured setup what was the neighborhood cost of going with this throttle body setup route with all hardware/software as pictured ... and what are your new hotter cams spec'a ? - Thanks dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus lots other silly mods n upgrades

Last edited by antares; 01-27-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 01-27-2019, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #582 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
So Nux ... I take it you have a 3.0 ? ... with your pictured setup what was the neighborhood cost of going with this throttle body setup route with all hardware/software as pictured ... and what are your new hotter cams spec'a ? - Thanks dave
Dave,

The ITB's came from Clay (Closed Course Motorsport). I believe he still sell this set for 1800$. I had the Bitz kit installed and uses that as a base. You can go that way or source the parts individually. You'll need an ECU, wiring harness, injectors and a few sensors. Prices are1000-2500$, depending on what system you prefer.

If you do it you self, its at minimum 3000$ all in. You could also ask someone like Al Kosmal to make a cool kit and save you the headache.

I have a 3.2ss Max Moritz conversion with a DC20 cam which is essentially a 964+ cam. Falls between 993ss and 964.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #583 (permalink)

I think Al Kosmal will soon be providing itbs, designed by Rama from Racehead Engineering in Australia.
RHD Engineering | Porsche Bolt on ITB Kit

I have a set of his ITBs on my 3.0. He provides fuel rails, linkages, varying trumpets etc.. Here is a short video I took of his system yesterday. (forgive the sloppy gear change)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTOLkeYe1Y
Old 01-27-2019, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #584 (permalink)

Garage
Wow that is cheap!!!!! And looks good too!!!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #585 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for this much needed info ... so what a 964+ cam somewhat like a 964 cam, offers an extended torque band encompassing both bottom end grunt and upper end increase rpm torque from stock or just repositions the torque band higher up the rpm scale range but leaving the bottom end grunt with something to be desired ? - dave

Edit: It has also occurred to me that for this EFI cost of $ 3,200 bucks or so I could just as well save that and just sell my good 3.0 and put another 4 grand or so on top of that and go buy a good used 964 motor w/native EDIS spark/advance controls builtin and be ditching the CIS scenario at the same time without all the toe touching aerobics of installing a megasquirt or Tbits setup ...just saying or am I missing something with that ? -dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus lots other silly mods n upgrades

Last edited by antares; 01-28-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #586 (permalink)

Garage
The EFI kit provides significant improvements in torque and will allow the use of hotter cams without compromising low end too much. I've have no issues with mine and it pulls very strong to 7000rpm, weras the SC cam is done way before that.

Also, because of the better atomisation of fuel and the ability to fine tune the fuel delivery, it's possible to run higher compression than the usually recommended. I know this is highly controversial here, but I know several builds with EFI running 10+ CR with single plug and has done so safely for years.

Oh and about that 3.6: I haven't seen one for 7k for a while, it's more like 12-14. And then you'll need a flywheel conversion for your 915 tranny (1200$), a new exhaust system (used 993 heat exchanges being cheapest) say 500$, new muffler 500$, and a chip 500$, adaptor for engine mounts, front oil cooler and hoses etc etc. It's an easy 15 at least IMO anyway.

Go with the EFI. Your car will be transformed!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #587 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
I think Al Kosmal will soon be providing itbs, designed by Rama from Racehead Engineering in Australia.
RHD Engineering | Porsche Bolt on ITB Kit

I have a set of his ITBs on my 3.0. He provides fuel rails, linkages, varying trumpets etc.. Here is a short video I took of his system yesterday. (forgive the sloppy gear change)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTOLkeYe1Y
i like bill's stuff, seen it on a fair few bmw's. nice to see he is expanding to 911's!
Old 01-29-2019, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #588 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux View Post
Oh and about that 3.6: I haven't seen one for 7k for a while, it's more like 12-14. And then you'll need a flywheel conversion for your 915 tranny (1200$), a new exhaust system (used 993 heat exchanges being cheapest) say 500$, new muffler 500$, and a chip 500$, adaptor for engine mounts, front oil cooler and hoses etc etc. It's an easy 15 at least IMO anyway.

My 7k 3.6 (a few year ago) ended up at twice that after a needed rebuild and a few small upgrades, nothing exotic.... cams, aftermarket EFI, tuning, headers.
Oh, and the g50 conversion I decided I needed ended up with another 4k and recently 3k on top of that with a rebuild, cause it wasn't in the greatest condition....
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 01-29-2019, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #589 (permalink)

Garage
... all good to know but already have the conversion kit and a muffler ... sell mine for say 8k put 3k into the purchase of a 3.6 , add another 1,500 misc and pretty much plug and play time ... personally don't need to G50 it or tweek it out ... just so it starts and runs reliably ... It will have all the punch needed.... not a bad idea if I can make it work ... I would have at minimum around 2,400 all new going the Tbit or Squirt route and still not have EDIS ... so let's say upwards to around 4k and still have CIS stock cams in the motor .... so buying a good used 3.6 and adding another 1,500 out of pocket I should have a good rocket ship for about 4 grand more than just going EFI...

I do admit that I should of done this around 2006 or so when I was thinking of doing it, the cost of the motors were much less and less beat to death than what is no doubt out there now .... Just saying - dave

Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #590 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: