Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

Calling all Backdaters!

OK! I can't recall on the threads of old if the front bumper shock mounting brackets (big suckers) have to be cut off. Or did I get SWB fenders, not the 71 fenders I paid for? The long hood fenders interfere with the brackets. It looks like it'll work if I cut the brackets, but I wanna know what you backdaters did.

Man did a lot of stuff come off with that fender too! I'll try to post pictures tomorrow and weigh the parts that came off to compare with the parts that will go on. I think it'll be a good thing

Last edited by MotoSook; 02-27-2006 at 05:11 AM..
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had to cut my brackets off for clearance.

Current Stable
WolksVagon Jetta
Acura TL
Old 12-12-2003, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Ah yess..ye has saveth me some sleep tonight.

Wait! You're further along than I am? Pictures brother John, pictures!

Last edited by MotoSook; 12-15-2003 at 03:10 PM..
Old 12-12-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah come on you guys - pictures please!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Hey Mark! I've not been keeping up, but when is the move to LaLa Land?

Have you got dreams of a backdated bastard for canyon carving?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Not alot to show just yet. Front fenders are in place and the rear flares are rough mounted (this is a 73 RSR replica). I wont bond the flares until I get the bumpers to make sure the alignment is spot on. I'll snap some pics at that point.

Current Stable
WolksVagon Jetta
Acura TL
Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Binge User

This is a new one to me. I assume your backdating your fenders to save weight. Does this mean you'll have so switch bumpers? How much do you hope to trim in wieght? is there any other advantage? Why not fiberglass or carbon fiber? Please clue me in, I am also on a wieght-less quest.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Souk - backdating is my passion now! I want a 964 backdated to RSR styling with lots of work from TRE (since I cant do it!).

Wife moves to LALA 2nd week in Jan and I move with the kids 1st week in July

Still cant wait! I am so excited to be able to go live in the US. Gives me chills just thinking about all the opportunities.

Anyhow - back to thread...post some damn pictures, NOW!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Paul,

I'm backdating a '76 to the 73 RSR look basically for the styling preference with the added benefit of the galvanized body. I'm sure I will knock off a couple hundred pounds by switching to fglass bumpers and dumping all of the A/C garbage. I was amazed at how heavy the impact bumpers along with their brackets and shocks were.

My new motto...... If you own a Porsche, backdate it! Even you Cayenne owners

Current Stable
WolksVagon Jetta
Acura TL

Last edited by johncj8989; 12-12-2003 at 08:38 PM..
Old 12-12-2003, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Mark..that sucks..it'll be tough to be left behind, but you are going to be in California man! And close enough to TRE! I can't wait to see your creation.

Paul, it is mostly an asthetic thing. The weight savings is a bonus. If you have ever read my CTR conversion thread, it all started with my my failed search for early car fenders, steel fenders. Well, I found the parts after the Ruf thing. So after a long and hard journey ( ) I'm finally backdating. Do a search and you'll find lots of information on it...hey maybe it's time for an Ultimate Backdate Thread

So! For Mark..stop squirming will ya! Here are some pictures, two! Anymore and the project will look like a mess. As with any project, the end result will make you forget the mess getting there. I have a lot of work to do...

This is the result of a few beers and pizza to coax my helper. I cleaned it up a bit, but I didn't take any pictures tonight after the cleaning.

And here is a test fit of just the driver's side fender. Notice the front of the fender is angled up. That is because of that dang bracket.

Hopefully I'll have more Sunday night.

Last edited by MotoSook; 12-15-2003 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-12-2003, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

IMO,

there's more detail work going on than meets the eye
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-12-2003, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Hehe! (rubbing hands together)
Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Souk -- you bailed on the CTR thing entirely???
Old 12-12-2003, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Yeah Tom. I'll wait until the second 911 to do the CTR thing, and do it right...you know, with a turbo motor!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Souk, that's beautiful!! As was said in Star Wars "there was an imbalance in the Force" with all the updated cars in the late 70's - 80's. Backdating seems to right the wrongs comitted by so many others.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
i was able to trim the flange on the fender and did not have to remove the bumper brackets on my 77.

good to see it in transition, brings back some good memories.
R Gruppe Member #286 once upon a time
"Alles ist gut" 2011 997 GTS
"Orange Pepper Wagon" 2009 Cayenne GTS
Old 12-12-2003, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Keep us up to date Souk. This is my long term goal possibly even on a 964.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 12-13-2003, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Thanks guys.

Jim, I thought that it might be possible to trim the fender. You don't have the stock 69-73.5 turnsignals on your car do you? I can't recall seeing your car in it's latest form (track demon!), but I'm worried that I will have trimmed the fender for naught if the lights interfere. I guess I could try and put the turn signal on the fender
Old 12-13-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
here it sits just waiting for the season to get going again, in january .

i do have stock turnsgnal housings in my fenders. you can see in this pic how i modified the fender to fit around the bumper mount. are you using metal or glass fenders?
R Gruppe Member #286 once upon a time
"Alles ist gut" 2011 997 GTS
"Orange Pepper Wagon" 2009 Cayenne GTS
Old 12-13-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Ah! I see now, I'm a little brain dead this AM. The interference would be with the horn grill..not the light.

I have steel fenders.

I'm not putting a grill on so it won't be an issue. I'll just have to get over the fear of cutting the fenders I have, fenders that I searched for for almost a year!

Your car looks great Jim. JANUARY..GEEZ! I'll be burning propane in the garage to keep warm way past January...you guys in SoCal have it too good.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: