Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Coolest thing since sliced bread!

Picked this up the other day from a Porsche parts retailer. It's a factory part # and really spruces up the key. I never liked the way the original key looked. You just need to buy a newer blank from the dealership (the two piece type) and then buy the lighted head with a silver or gold crest in it.

May be a little blingy for some of you but as you know, that's my style!

Adam

Old 01-28-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's even got a wee light in it, god only knows for what but it's just too damn cute!

AR
Old 01-28-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Where do you get your key made once you get the blank?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/krichard/
Old 01-28-2004, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh, I work at a place called Canadian Tire. Kinda like a cross between sears tool department, home depot hardware department, wallmart sports/seasonal department + housewares department, and an autozone/pepboys auto parts department. We also have an auto service department. Our stores range from 3,000 sq.ft to 82,000 sq.ft. and there are about 450+ of our locations across Canada. They're all individually owned and opperated.

Anyways, not that it mattered but I just though I'd offer a little background on a Canadian Tradition!

Needless to say, I cut my own keys

Adam
Old 01-28-2004, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I worked at a Canadian Tire when I was younger and all I could afford to drive was a beat-up Jeep Commanche pick-up! What's your secret?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have one, too. PO gave it to me. Mine's the silver crest with no paint. I actually used it once to help a really hot woman find her cell phone in a dark movie theater. It had fallen on the ground through the crack of the seat. When the movie was over it was still dark and she was hunting around right beside me (I was sitting in the row behind her during the movie). I used the light to help her. It was actually really bright for such a small light. Very dark theater helped.

BTW, my cheesy pick-up line, while I used the light, was "are you looking for my phone number?" It got a laugh at least!

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

LOL you Don Juan! I'm hoping the large PORSCHE crest will help attract some of the ladies!

exc911ence, I'm a young guy and have had the fortune of choosing a career path earlier than most. I've been running departments at Canadian Tire for a few years now and would like to own one eventually.

Keep telling myself, short term pain, long term gain.... one day i'm sure I'll believe it

Adam
Old 01-28-2004, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
On a great circle route

I got mine here .
Replacement bulbs and batteries also available.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

good call, i didn't realise that pelican sold those. I paied more than that for mine (not much more but nevertheless!)

Adam
Old 01-28-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've got one and I'd like it very much if the light worked well. I've been meaning to disassemble and clean with vinegar. Also, the crest fell off recently. I will say that, when the light works, it's fairly bright. Certainly sufficient to find the hole. For the key, I mean.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have one too, PO. I use the light almost everytime I stick the key in the ignition at night. It's just a habit...there shall be no scuff marks on my 911.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CHILI
I have one, too. PO gave it to me. Mine's the silver crest with no paint. I actually used it once to help a really hot woman find her cell phone in a dark movie theater. It had fallen on the ground through the crack of the seat. When the movie was over it was still dark and she was hunting around right beside me (I was sitting in the row behind her during the movie). I used the light to help her. It was actually really bright for such a small light. Very dark theater helped.

BTW, my cheesy pick-up line, while I used the light, was "are you looking for my phone number?" It got a laugh at least!
If the stories are correct, just flashing the Porsche crest should have gotten you the digits. Failing that, being both useful and witty should have done the job. You really got no date from that? Is it just me, or are women just completely uninterested in the whole P-car thing these days?

Dan
Old 01-28-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I love mine also...however, how does one insert the new blank? just recently changed the ignition switch. Also, is there some sort of spring under the battery? All my guts fell out not too long ago, and while I was able to put it back together again, the button is a little sticky like it needs some help returning to home.

Terrific line, Chili....envy your thinking on your feet...or was it really your feet you were thinking on?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

This is what I have in my pocket at this moment

Old 01-29-2004, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by CHILI

The way to get her number was to offer to call her cell phone with your cell phone - when it rings - it will light up, then you can find it - then you have her number in your cell... After that, you chuckle and mention that you forgot about your handy dandy Porsche key pen light... If that won't get you laid, you need to see a trainer
Old 01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy964
The way to get her number was to offer to call her cell phone with your cell phone - when it rings - it will light up, then you can find it - then you have her number in your cell... After that, you chuckle and mention that you forgot about your handy dandy Porsche key pen light... If that won't get you laid, you need to see a trainer
LOL. I didn't have a cell at the time. Do now, but not then.

When I said she was hot, what I meant to say she was smokin' HOT. And it was in South OC, so I'm sure she's used to Porsches. My lowly ol' 74 wouldn't impress too many S.O.C. chicks. Besides, she was so far out of my league. Straight out of a Magazine, she looked to be.

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Chili,
I understand -- everybody and their dog has a P-car in SoCal. Visiting downtown San Diego (Gas Lamp, in particular) was amazing to me -- I had never seen so many P-cars in my life! Those poor girls are saturated with beautiful works of art; nobody even looked twice when some super-rare pristine condition Porker came past. Anyhow, bummer to ya, and better luck next time.
I suppose we've pretty much hijacked this thread. Sorry, ATR911.

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

It's cool, this is WAY more interesting than the key anyways!

There aren't many Pcars up here in Canada and they get quite a few looks.

Adam
Old 01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Vinyl weenie

Garage
By the way....for those with older cars....you get the blank that fits THAT key head....take your old key or one that was just cut and dremel tool the head to the specs of the new blank. Then snap you old key into the new Porsche key head with penlight and you be bad.....

It was the only way I could get the key head to fit my SC key.....

Old 01-29-2004, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: