Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Pelican Parts What do you do for winterization?

Hey folks. I'm working on an article regarding tips and tricks for winterizing your car. I have a bunch of stuff compiled already, but I was wondering what everyone else does?

This can include storing your car, and/or preparing it for driving in winter weather. This pertains to all cars - not necessarily 911s.

Thanks for your input!

-Wayne

Old 12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I change the oil and trans fluid and all filters and top the tires to within 2 lbs. max press when cold. Wash it really well and wax it and throw the cover over it. Start it about every 2-3 weeks and back it out into the drive just to roll it if it is dry out.

You will probably be getting an order from me soon for parts for the winter and winterization.

Brian
79 930 OH
Old 12-07-2004, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
By the way....where is the 3 series book.....I haven't seen it yet.....I am looking forward to it. Do you still have your F-Car?

Brian
Old 12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
roll up the windows, new wiper blades...
'76 911S 3.0 RIP
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/BanjoMike
Old 12-07-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Move to Scottsdale!
...sorry, couldn't help myself.
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 12-07-2004, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I used to religiously start and run the motor until oil is hot. There's are as many in favor as there are against so I don't think I am going to worry this winter. For H20 cooled cars I follow the guideline that it takes three times as long for the oil to warm up versus water. So when the water temp gauge reads normal I triple that time for the oil.

I fill the tank as full as possible so there's less chance for condensation.

I use Sta-bil.

I fill the tires with about 5-10 lbs more air.

I put out dry dog food (easily recognizable amount) and monitor it daily to see if mice are living nearby. If so, I set out traps. They don't move in until it's cold out.

I use a cover.

I don't do a fresh wash unless I can drive the car. I don't like to put it away wet.

Change the oil.

If I have it up in the air at any point I'll spin the tires a dozen or so revs to keep the grease moving.

I treat the leather.

I'll push on it every now and again to keep the bushings loose and suspension parts moving.

I'll sit in it and wish it were summer.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

nice doggie

I don't really do anything. I try to drive it at least once a month in the winter months. We usually have quite a few sunny days with dry roads in the wintertime in Denver.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What's 'winter' anyway?

'89 930, '97 TLC (Toyota Land Cruiser), '96 T-100pick-em-up
'95 BMW R100 GSPD (gone but not forgotten), '07 BMW R1200GSA
Old 12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
What?

Garage
Don't start the car unless you can bring the engine completely up to temp. Otherwise you are doing more harm than good.
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
B58/732

Winter? I drive more often and turn the A/C on only once a month.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm going to buy a couple BatteryMinders because in the winter I only drive the Porsches once or twice a month and it's just not quite enough to keep the batteries in tip top shape.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
wayne, check this out:

Winter storage checklist?

make sure you schroll down to grady clay's response. it is way over the top, and very complete.

for my own piddly contribution, i once shared a huge garage with four girls, they were always going in and out of the garage, via the electric garage door. instead of buying a battery tender, i used my regular battery charger, and plugged it into the lightbulb socket of the garage door opener. use one of those light bulb socket adaptors with a plug for a standard extension cord on the side. then every time, the ladies used the door, the charger would juice up just enough to remind my motorcycle battery that it is a battery. i left my bike for six months like that. no probs. so anyone with a two car garage, that has the stored car parked next to the daily driver can do the same thing.

cliff
Old 12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Unregistered

Uhhhmmm wear long pants?
hay everyone else was playing, I felt left out
Old 12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I "winterize" my car every winter from November to March. I think some confuse winterizing with long term storage, which they shouldn't. Other then cleaning the car thoroughly and perhaps waxing it, there isn't much else to do. Inflate the tires to close to maximum pressure or put on jackstands. If not using jackstands, roll the car around every few weeks to lessen flat spots. Putting on jackstands will make it more difficult to cut out on a nice day when possible. Fill the tank with new gas. Be sure no mice or rodents are close. Use a trickle charger, epecially if car is in an unheated garage. I used a desiccant inside to prevent any accululation of moisture from temperature fluctuation. Not much else. I avoid starting the engine unless it is going to be run till warm. One of the biggest problems in the North is not the lack of a nice day to take the car out but the accululation of powdery salt the lies on the road. This takes a heavy rain to wash away and may lay there for some time. Take a winter vaction. Return to a "new" car in the spring. Let the UV destroy all the paint and interiors of the cars in the Sunbelt.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Whats winter? -oh is that when you put on long pants?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by MovOvr1
By the way....where is the 3 series book.....I haven't seen it yet.....I am looking forward to it. Do you still have your F-Car?

Brian
3-Series book is delayed, but definitely coming! Ferrari is tucked neatly into the garage at work - still playing with the new 911, and the BMW project cars occupy the garage at home...

-Wayne
Old 12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne, I think you should put a filter on the forum that doesn't let anyone view posts containing the word "winter" if they don't have such a thing...

12 months of sun and warmth. I only wish.

Jim-sicle
"Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers."
Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mice are definetly a problem, but I would have to go against the dried dog food approach in that you may be actually inviting them in. I use a similar approach, but I use D-Con in little trays that I can tell if it is being eaten. If they snack on this, they ain't coming back
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

also
- overfill tires to 50-60psi
- I winterized many small boat carb engines by flooding the carbs with Marvel Mystery Oil at about 2k rpm till it stalls.
- plug exhaust & intake.
- loosen fan belt prevents a flat spot on alternator bearing.
- do not apply hand brake.
- raising car may cause rust on shoch absober piston rod.

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: