Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Why does my car handle funny?

This was the question posed to us from the owner of a nice Carrera RS clone. "So when does this funny handling occur?" we asked. "Whenever l take a curve at any kind of speed, the back of the car feels really twitchy!"

Ok- we took a look at his spring plates and this is what we found:
Very important that you guys (and gals) check that the rear bushings are in good shape. In this particular case, we had to replace the cups, spring plates, and torsion bars since so much sagging and wear occurred. Not to mention that an uncontrolled rear suspension is a safety issue as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I presume you removed the spring plate covers so we can see the damage to the bushings...right?

I mean ...they weren't *missing*.....were they?.....or?

Wil
Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Was the damage so glaringly obvious when everything was put together? My car handles fine, but the t-bars are sagging a bit on the bushings. I may have a new project on my hands.

The engine runs great, though. Thanks, Dave.
1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow

Charlie, a quick visual check can be made. Look at the tube-portion of the spring plate where it exits the spring plate cover. It should be perfectly centered in the hole.

If it is off-center, your bushings are toasted. In extreme cases, the tube will actually be in physical contact with the spring plate cover.

What Dave has pictured is beyond extreme!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Ok, that settles it! No more fat chicks!
Various VWs
Old 03-03-2005, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

As soon a warm weather comes, I see my next project.

David Duffield
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The same thing happens in the front. If the bushing have "flowed" the t-ar car rub and cause a binding feeling up front. Both are cheap and fairly easy to do, though they take a good day worth of grunting.

John
Old 03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by widebody911
Ok, that settles it! No more fat chicks!
Thats funny coming from you Widebody
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 03-03-2005, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I am going to do this soon, so what is the best plan of action. What bushings do I use for mostly street? Banana arm bushings too? What else while "I'm in there" stuff.
00 GMC Sierra
Old 03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As a data point.... here's the spring plate bushing from an '88 with 118k miles on it... you can see the deformation, but its not that bad. I ended up having them zinc plated and putting chuck's bushings on it.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Heh heh...

This one reminded me of a car I just did...

Customer: "Why is the brake pedal not returning back "

Hmmm.... Lets look at the pedal cluster... Ohhhhhhh...

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
Hey that looks familiar.. 2 years with clogged sunroof drains and sitting outside will do that.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It's not the 118k miles on it, it's the age of the car - i.e. the # of hours it has spent putting wt. on the rubber, whether driven or not.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 03-03-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

how it looks now
Old 03-03-2005, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

OMG...some scary pics here. Guys, all I can say is to REALLY think about suspension. I recently had mine gone thru by Jeff Gamroth of ROTHSPORT. I wanted to do some "racy" things he advised against, knowing me and my car. I argued back to the racy side. Then it dawned on me...this guy is THE winning ALMS Porsche's crew chief. I finally said: "Jeff, make it a car that you would enjoy driving on the street & backroads....He did just that...in spades. To repeat...REALLY think about suspension. Then? Listen to the people you trust. The check writing may hurt, but the final results could be worth it.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Dave, in general, what do you recommend replacing the original bushes with? Factory rubber, poly or poly-bronze?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Paul has some good advice here.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I take it that's a Targa pedal cluster?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Factory rear rubber bushes used to be available from the dealer for the 68 and earlier cars. Don't know if those are available anymore. We really like to install The Elephant Polybronze for any type of performance oriented 911 (and 914) owner.The neatrix replacement rubber bushes for street or clients on a tight budget. If the client is prone to deferred maintainance, the Neatrix also gets the nod.

I am not a fan of the poly urethane bushes for the control arms. Though they are good for sway bar mounts, we have seen too many plastic bushings seize in their mountings, and fret away from the friction. Who needs uncontrolled added "spring rate"? Worse yet- we have seen several failures of the inner rear control arm plastic bushes on race cars- now who was driving that forklift?!
We mount our bushings (neatrix too) with proper grease to aid in free movement of the suspension.
IMHO- we have been very happy with the Elephant bushing kits and believe them to be one of the most important parts of repairs/restoration that one can do to an old suspension
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by pwd72s
OMG...some scary pics here. Guys, all I can say is to REALLY think about suspension. I recently had mine gone thru by Jeff Gamroth of ROTHSPORT. I wanted to do some "racy" things he advised against, knowing me and my car. I argued back to the racy side. Then it dawned on me...this guy is THE winning ALMS Porsche's crew chief. I finally said: "Jeff, make it a car that you would enjoy driving on the street & backroads....He did just that...in spades. To repeat...REALLY think about suspension. Then? Listen to the people you trust. The check writing may hurt, but the final results could be worth it.
And what was the final formula?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: