Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Best source for windshields

OK, I had my windshield stored at my neighbor's place & somebody cracked the corner of it. Now I need to buy a new one. Did a google search with poor results & haven't checked PP yet. Any recomendations?
ThanX

Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I can't tell you a specific location, but you are in the right part of the country to get a deal. It seems I remember Jack Olsen saying that he got a windshield for the previous incarnation of his current car for $150 once.

Be glad you are in Cali, here in Houston I called a bunch of glass places, only 2 of them could even get the thing, and one of those was the dealer. Both of my prices ('88 w/antenna) were more than my $500 deductible).
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 06-14-2005, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

henery lisk off ebay

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 06-14-2005, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Car a local auto glass shop. I paid about $300 installed / new for a non-antennae windshield last year.
'79 911 SC Widebody PCA, NASA, PBOC - SOLD
2004 NASA-SE GTS4 Champ, 2005 + 2007 NASA-SE GTS3
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I checked Ebay & didn't see anything from Henry Lisk or any other windshields. I also talked to Tom & they don't carry them. Maybe I can do a search on Ebay or Google for Henry Lisk (if anybody has the correct spelling, let me know)
Old 06-14-2005, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Marv,
I'm in Encinitas. I called MasterGlass and was very happy. They installed an OEM Window, Pilkington for $240. They came to my house. I paid $40 extra for that window, they said it was better quality than their low-end one. Could be BS. I supplied the new gasket, however.
My car is a 1971. Their technician was very professional and very thorough.

Doug
Old 06-14-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

From another thread (or two) henrylisk@earthlink.net

Others state that he may be slow to respond.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Doug, do you have the phone number? $240 for an OEM sounds OK to me. I assume its a 714 area code.
Rick, thanks for Henty's email address. I'll email him today.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

The OEM ones are softer than modern replacements.

You can get aftermarket ones for under $200, still.

Where in Los Angeles are you?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Give TRE Motorsports in North Hollywood a call. They do great work and Dave is a nice guy. I just got mine installed a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier.

Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Pilkington is not OEM but it will fit.
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Recreational User

I just got a PPG tinted top installed and sealed with ample windshield caulk for $205 a couple months ago. So cheap it wasn't worth the gamble of DIY and cracking it.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I'm in the San Diego area. I will be installing it myself. I've done three windshields, so I hope I don't break this one. This has been a bad story. The original windshield (36 years old) broke when I picked it up. That didn't bother me since I had a newer, nicer one stored at a neighbor's house. He commented, the other day, that the corner of that one was cracked, probably by a guy doing some work around there. So I'm going to be on my third windshield before I get one in the car. I will be putting it in the car which is still disassembled in Tijuana. They finished the buffing last week, so its time to start putting it back together.
If anybody knows of some specific places I can get one from, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Safelite will install it, including an aftermarket seal (which I don't recommend -- I'd get an OEM one) for $205 plus tax. They'll come to your house to put it in. I've had it done, and the guy I got was able to get used chrome window trim to sit very well.

www.safelite.com
Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Evans, Marv
I'm in the San Diego area. I will be installing it myself. I've done three windshields, so I hope I don't break this one. This has been a bad story. The original windshield (36 years old) broke when I picked it up. That didn't bother me since I had a newer, nicer one stored at a neighbor's house. He commented, the other day, that the corner of that one was cracked, probably by a guy doing some work around there. So I'm going to be on my third windshield before I get one in the car. I will be putting it in the car which is still disassembled in Tijuana. They finished the buffing last week, so its time to start putting it back together.
If anybody knows of some specific places I can get one from, I'd appreciate it.
Give Elite Glass a call. They are in Kearny Mesa. I have gotten excellant service at decent prices from them.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If a '73 has one in it that says Sigla, does that mean it is OEM?

not necessarily the original glass, but the factory replacement if it was replaced?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Sigla is the factory preferred replacement after OEM Sekurit.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Here's my quote from Safelite, 84 carrera:

Quote:
$1232.29 (not including taxes)

Your vehicle may require the installation of moldings and accessories at an additional cost of $193.30. Learn More
Yikes!

Whoops, that was an 85... I fixed it, and it's
Quote:
$174.98 (not including taxes)
Your vehicle may require the installation of moldings and accessories at an additional cost of $65.52. Learn More
Wow, they must have used gold edging in 85!

Last edited by david.avery; 10-19-2005 at 06:20 AM..
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

r39o:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind if Henry Lisk doesn't come through in the end. I've already paid for a Sekurit from him and was just able to contact him again to communicate my concerns about not receiving my windshield. He said he thought it had been shipped & will look into it.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Like Jack hints, aftermarket glass is probably better. I found that the PPG product was more robust than the Sigla.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: