Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jacking up the front in the middle.

any pics of car jacked up in the front, middle? all the a/c components have been removed.

I need to replace A-Arms, boths side and have to stabilize car. it's a 1983 sc .

thanks.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jack up one side. Put a jackstand under it. Go around the other side. Jack up and add another jackstand.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You can put stands just behind the a-arms on the body, where the seam curves in and out. There is just enough room for a wood block to fit, with a stand supporting it.

Doug
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

2x4 cut to fit inside/between the a-arm front mounting points. jack up from the middle of the board. then put jackstands on either side of the jack at the ends of the 2x4.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Does the chin spoiler allow enough room for the jack using the 2x4 method?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by LanceS4803
Does the chin spoiler allow enough room for the jack using the 2x4 method?
it does on mine. depends on your ride height and style of jack. roll the car onto 2x6's if you need some space
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If the car is low, you've got no recourse but to jack a side at a time to get stands underneath for the front. I've got a low-profile alum jack and it still does not fit under the rubber chin spoiler (unless you allow the rubber to flex underneath it). But if all I want to do is get the front end on jackstands, I'll just jack up one side of the car with one jack just enough to get me clarance to then take another jack and raise the entire front of the car from the "beam-like" sheetmetal between the front mounts of the torsionbars. A hockey puck on the jackplate, center the pcuk, and the front comes up evenly and securely.

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 08-26-2005 at 01:45 PM..
Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have a low profile jack also, and it is a REAL tight squeeze with the car being lowered and then the chin spoiler.
I think I will stick with the side lift and mount placement. Although, it still makes the car look like it is getting twisted when I leave just one stand under one side on the front before moving to the other side.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Talking of tight squeezes...

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
YIPES!!! How did you work on your car in there?

97 2.5 Boxster, 78 911SC, '06 H-D Street Bob, '07 Audi S4 (daily driver)
Old 08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

911mot wins!

Edward
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Man, that is a tight fit!
I won't complain about my garage space again.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by einreb
2x4 cut to fit inside/between the a-arm front mounting points. jack up from the middle of the board. then put jackstands on either side of the jack at the ends of the 2x4.

Assuming I am going to remove the entire front suspension, what's the best way to lift the car in front and get jack stands underneath (and where do they go?). I've read many, many posts on this, and I just don't quite get it.

Does "a-arm front mounting point" mean the torsion bar cover, in front on the belly pan? I have a '71T, and there is what looks like a factory tow hook right in the middle behind the spoiler. The idea is to cut a 2x4 to fit between the torsion bar covers? The picture of the underside of the car with jacking points (not with me now, but I have it at work) - that means running the 2x4 between both "A'" points?

I have seen a number people use jack stands with some kind of cushion at the "C" points, but it's not clear to me how you lift the whole front of the car and access those points.

I will try to post the picture I am referring to tomorrow.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveE
YIPES!!! How did you work on your car in there?
Work on it...?

How the he!! does he get in and out of the car while it's in there? That's what I'd like to know!

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Goodness! All I can think of is you'd get in & out of the car when it's out of the garage...push or pull to get it in or out...Britland! I'll bet this garage worked well in it's original use...a horse stall.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I bet you could squeeze out of the windows...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Bet the car's a targa.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by naparsei
Assuming I am going to remove the entire front suspension, what's the best way to lift the car in front and get jack stands underneath (and where do they go?). I've read many, many posts on this, and I just don't quite get it.

Does "a-arm front mounting point" mean the torsion bar cover, in front on the belly pan? I have a '71T, and there is what looks like a factory tow hook right in the middle behind the spoiler. The idea is to cut a 2x4 to fit between the torsion bar covers? The picture of the underside of the car with jacking points (not with me now, but I have it at work) - that means running the 2x4 between both "A'" points?

I have seen a number people use jack stands with some kind of cushion at the "C" points, but it's not clear to me how you lift the whole front of the car and access those points.

I will try to post the picture I am referring to tomorrow.

Thanks,
Alex
Anyone? Bueller?

Old 10-12-2005, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

my post on the 2x4 may only apply to later cars. for my '88, the board sits about midway up the letter 'A'. it fits between the gas tank and the front A/C condensor. Then the stands go just up from the 'A' arrows.

I'm not sure how much the tow hook sticks down, so I dont know what your jacking options are.

-Bernie
Old 10-12-2005, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Bernie,
Thanks for the quick response. The hook sticks forward, and not really down. You can actually see it in the picture above.

Anyone with an early car run the 2x4 between the "A" points and jack the jack up there?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: