Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

G50 Rattle

I understand that Porsche issued some technical bulletins to cure the vibration or shifter rattle of the early G50 cars. This rattle happens when starting out in first gear with the RPMs rather low. Not to the point where you lug the engine, but at lower RPMs. Does anyone know about these technical bullitins and where to find them?

1987 911 Carrera. 03/87 production date.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have an interest in this too.

88 Carrera w/G50 .....yep it's got a rattle

88 Guards Red Targa (sadly sold )
2005 Boxster S
1st Porsche 73 914 (long gone)
Old 02-19-2006, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My 89 had a rattle that I was told was just typical. After I replaced the clutch, presure plate,flywheel t/o bearing,Did a g50 update,Guess what! You guessed it , No more rattle.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think this was a series of 4 or 5 technical servive updates that Porsche issued. They consisted of O-rings, wire ties, and rubber sleeves for the shift rods and supports. I just can't find the info on this to see how it actually was applied.

Anyone?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Anyone?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage

Above from Excellence. Below from Tech article.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thank You, This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OK guys... This Excellence article is just what I am looking at.
Has anybody done this ??
Where can I get these Porsche parts ?
thanks
Chuck
Old 03-21-2006, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by buttjoint
My 89 had a rattle that I was told was just typical. After I replaced the clutch, presure plate,flywheel t/o bearing,Did a g50 update,Guess what! You guessed it , No more rattle.
My 89 has rattle at idle. Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, T/O bearing were all replaced in January. Rattle goes away when clutch pedal is depressed. Rattle is reduced (but does not go away completely) when the shifter is in neutral but moved to either left of right side.

Since mine is an 89, is it likely that the problems are the same as the ones in the article?

I plan to investigate more this weekend, but I'd like a starting point if possible.

al
Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I got all the parts from the dealer. I can post the part #s later this afternoon if needed. The cost was not high at all.

Scott
Old 03-21-2006, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Scott,
did this cure the problem?
How difficult a job...how long did it take ?
Pelican sells the parts, I have the numbers off the Excellence
article. I have an 89, the Porsche tech Bulliten says 87-88
does this matter ?
thanks for your help !
Chuck
Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Chuck,

Yes, It cured my rattle completely. It was not difficult, even I completed it in about an hour and I am not yet that familiar with a 911. The insulated rod had already been completed by the previous owner so I did not need to complete that task, but that looks like it could be done in 20-30 minutes when you have the rear shift rod apart. It should work if it is an early 89 not the Carrera4 version. It was a very good excellence article.

Hope this helps, Scott
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sounds like a couple of different things being discussed here. The shifter itself rattling at idle can be cured by the above procedure, but if you get the rattle while taking off in first gear, this is a hallmark of the G50 trans, and AFAIK, there isn't much you can do for it. Search on 'G50 rattle' for more info,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: