Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to mount door speakers - mount to door panel or door skin (metal)?

I have an '87 and the factory door speakers were mounted to the upholstered panel, not the door itself, with a foam insulator ring between the panel and door. It sounds like the proper method because the door metal skin was insulated from the speakers minimizing the transmission of base frequencies. Now I'm upgrading to 6 1/2" speakers and wondering if I should maintain this arrangement or simply mount the speakers by screwing the mounting screws into the door metal skin instead. Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have the answer but I am curious too as my car ('76) needs a new system.

Sometime long ago someone installed a "premium" (for the 70's) system and cut the door metal using tin snips. They left them all jagged. I don't know if I should mount to door or panel as you say though I know I have to take a Dremel to those edges and try to recover an approximately smooth round hole. I am going with 6-1/2's to address this larger hole. I'll be curious to read the consensus opinion.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If the speakers are light then the panals are ok, but as they get heavier the stress from opening and closing increases. Eventually you will destroy the panels if they are not screwed to the door metal. The hole in the metal is plenty big.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Laser interferometry studies (originally pioneered by B&O, IIRC) have shown that speaker enclosure or monting board movement causes phase sfifts, and they are percived as a smearing of the sound - esp. affects staging.

Mounting to metal will reduce that distortion.

BUT, in a 911 -- who really cares?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I went from 5 & 1/4 to 6 & 1/2 speakers recently.

Here's the backing that was on there-

I installed Infinity seperates speakers. They have a pretty nice installation kit that comes with pretty much anything you need to make it work. I was surprised at how well thought out it was.

The silver ring is a backing plate that sandwiches the door panel between it and the speaker. The ring actually attaches to studs that stick out of the door to hold on the black plastic thing in the first pic. Therefore, it is not screwed into the sheetmetal which I wanted to avoid. However, I didn't consider the weight as Bill V has suggested. It seems solid but......

FYI here's the back speakers-

I replaced the kind on the right with the infinitys on the left.

I also installed a 4x50 watt Sony MP3/CD deck. For all my efforts it still sounds like crap.

It's very tinny. I have to turn the treble all the way down and crank the bass. The stereo guy tells me an amp would help as well as a sub. 964s have even less trunk to hide an amp and sub so I may have to live with crappy sound.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I forget the brand, but I've seen a couple of posts from people who found a nice slim sub that fit underneath the driver's seat... and according to them, sounded great! I imagine that you could amp under the passenger's seat too.

-Troy
86 Carrera

2001 Boxster 2.7L (Orient Red), bone stock
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Hi Bob, Greeting from Mid9-ville!

Your comment, "...For all my efforts it still sounds like crap." - made me laugh out loud! With a 911 and an earlier one than a 964 at that? I don't expect too much. Fortunately, I am no audiophile so I probably won't notice. The best fix for a poor stereo system is a tin ear!

I have been cruising the Crutchfield site - mostly to get an idea which 6-1/2's I should buy. Nothing jumps out at me. None are prohibitively expensive so I was thinking of maybe $150 bucks on a pair. Infinity had a nice set for shallow installations in that range and since you said they come with a complete install kit I may as well....Unless you'd advise against?

I plan to keep my original Becker Europa II - 'cause I like the look of it! - and plan on installing a small amp to drive these speakers. Any advice will be apprecaited. Oh, and I am installing an adapter cable from Becker North America that will let me use my iPod. I hope I am not hijacking by asking this question. Thanks for the excellent pictures. Got any more? Best, Dan
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think you'll find more room under the passenger seat (the DME is under the driver's seat). I've got a Kenwood amp installed by Rod Birch, but its a Targa, so symphony hall quality its not.

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mad scientist

Garage
movin,

the PO made a rather messy install of speakers which I tried my best to clean up. This thread shows how I did, maybe it will give you some inspiration.

The sound is quite ok, not like a good home stereo though.

/Peter

You can't make a racehorse out of a bull, but you can make an awfully fast bull.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Peter, I responded to your thread with some questions. I printed out your template and still plan to use it.

Steve, I suppose you just run the amp wiring directly under the carpet? Any concerns with that? Did you use anything to provide additional protection for that wiring? Not sure how it would be done but something protective like conduit - but flexible enough to not show...much?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena
Hi Bob, Greeting from Mid9-ville!

Your comment, "...For all my efforts it still sounds like crap." - made me laugh out loud!
Hi Dan! I'm glad my misadventures continue to amuse. If nothing else I hope others can learn from my many mistakes. The mistake I mad ehere was thinking I could have a nice sounding stereo in a 911. Having an engine in the back does have it's disadvantages.

On Infinity speakers-I can't say I like the way they sound. Very shrill. The seperate, high mounted tweeters are downright painful! I'm considering disconnecting them. The design and construction, as well as the installation kit seem to be very good, but the main thing, the sound, is lacking. One might say it's the head unit, but I have the exact same one in my Grand Caravan (again-no trunk) and it sound very good in there. These particular Infinitys simply may require more power than I'm throwing at them. That said, I wish I would have bought Alpines. I've always had good results with them.

On under seat subs-PLEASE! If anyone has the name, let me know! Music takes a back seat to pretty much everything else in my 911 including luggage so installing a sub in the trunk is out of the question. The amp I can probably hide, but a sub? Not as easy.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Bob, I was not planning on component 6-1/2's so hopefully I won't have the separate tweeter issue you have had. I have no particular reason to pick one brand of speaker over another except recommendations. In my case I need "old man" ears to tell me what to pick! I'll go Alpines if you think they are substantively better.

I doubt my old Becker has much power so I pretty much HAVE resigned myself to use an amp, though I'd rather not if I could get away with it. No plans to use a sub...I think I'd be more annoyed by the base and the box taking up space (I know, I know, "if its too loud you're too old!). I probably am! I do remember someone posted a fairly spece-economical under seat sub setup here. I'm sure it would come up in a seach of "sub", "speaker" or some such. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Dan, I'm by no means an authority on these matters. My preference for Alpine could be just me. Infinitys are supposedly pretty good. The main thing I would consider in your case is power output of your radio. You probably want the most efficient, low power speakers you can find while maintaining quality. Alpine has speakers that work well at lower power.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a Blau underseat Subif anyone is interested includes the dividing net. it was plug and play w/ the Blau headunits I had

Also JBL T420 6 1/2" surface mount door speakers

cheap, I've spent the last 2 wks cleaning my attic out. i just want to get rid of them
Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Peter Bull, I like the solution you developed. Want material is the spacer made out of?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

rs6er, your link doesn't work, but I think this would work:
www.techronics.com/index.cfm?f...Product_ID=2581 or
http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?f...Product_ID=2581
Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

FWIW, I installed Infinity 6.5" speakers in the metal door panel ('69). No sheet metal cutting is necessary save for 4 holes for mounting. If you have roll up windows, make sure the speaker grills have a real low profile, otherwise the crank won't clear.

Sherwood
Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Bill Has a PM
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 911pcars
FWIW, I installed Infinity 6.5" speakers in the metal door panel ('69). No sheet metal cutting is necessary save for 4 holes for mounting. If you have roll up windows, make sure the speaker grills have a real low profile, otherwise the crank won't clear.

Sherwood
It will depend on the speakers. The JBLs above, rise 1 3/8" from the dor panel, the window crank was close but worked fine w/o much of an issue.

In my '72 I had Boston Acoustics plate speakers, rise was over an inch and they also worked fine.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Is the rug included Bill?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: