Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine drop projects?

I will be doing my first engine drop to change the clutch on my G50 1988 911. What I would like to hear from the forum a list of parts an project to do with the engine out.
I will have about 75K mile on the engine when I do the drop. If I could have input of best clutch and clutch fork upgrade for the car. I also plan to change the flywheel sensor. Time is not an issue so all projects welcome.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hoses, check for leaks, clean engine and trans....the list goes on.
There are quite a few things you can do while you are in there but a lot of them will depend on what your budget is, if you are upgrading anything, and if you find anything while you are in there. I hate when people say this but do a search I know this subject has been covered before and I am sure to miss something if I give a list : )

Good Luck,
Shawn
P.S.
Temp sensor and Crank Case Vent hose they are relatively cheap and easy to get at with the engine out.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There are many inevitable fixes on the 911 that you typically can't get to with the engine in, I'd focus on those things first. Here's the quandary - if it is accessible, but doesn't need fixing, do you do it anyway, 'while you're in there'? I had recently pulled my fan and alternator and noticed zero oil leaks on the top of the engine, as far as I could see. Would it make sense to replace o-rings, sender units, etc. even if there are no leaks? What if you do that, get the engine back in and now it leaks? I think I'll leave well enough alone when I do mine, I can see the list of replacement parts for those still quite serviceable growing without end...

Carried to its extreme, this would be a great chance to do that 3.6 upgrade as well!

Regards,

85 Carrera
64 Honda Dream - for sale
71 Hodaka Super Rat - keeper
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

many threads

- easier to replace rear banana arm bushings and swap to Al banana arm

- replace old fuel hoses

- general cleanup; maybe re-paint

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Engine Drop

I wouldnt think you would need flywheel or reference sensors with that type of mileage, and these can be replaced pretty easy while engine is still in car. I would be sure and check fuel lines and both damper and fuel pressure regulator as those are a pain to do with motor in. Just pull vacuum lines and if you have any fuel then leaking pass diaphram replace.You get no warning and car will leave you stranded, both about 90.00 each.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: