Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor@Excellence View Post
+1. Also wondering if all 959s were painted flat black on their inner sections. I'll do some research on that here. I peeled the trunk carpeting back on every one of the 15+ 959s that were at Canepa's when I was there, but I can't remember the color of the inner surfaces on 959s.

They may be body color, as on most production Porsches, but they may not have been, too.

My main reason for looking into all those trunks was to see if the Bauer body numbers corresponded to the VINs, which they did not. I suspect Bauer built the bodies and sent them to Porsche, where they were pushed into storage and then pulled out as needed -- hence the random body number sequence when compared to VINs. And there was a big variance...

As for this car's current state, I am in 100% agreement with Milt. This car is beautiful as is. And there are enough "plastic bag" 959s out there already to represent the model. I'm excited that this one has fallen into hands that are not afraid to tear into it and fix things sensibly. And hands that will use it.

Prove me right, Wayne.

pete
Already well on track. I'm documenting everything, eventually maybe you can use the material for the magazine, although I know there are sticky issues with respect to the fact that we're an advertiser and competitor to your other advertisers.

Anyways, the front bar with the BAUR tag is black metallic, and I believe the bar in the back by the engine is too. These were all painted body color - if you check the Lewandowski book, you will see other cars with this painted body color.

I'm having fun already - I think tomorrow, the doors will be completely fixed and buttoned up!

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Wayne,

I was at Canepa Design last year and took a ton of pics. From my observation, it seems silver cars are silver inside and out, and black cars are black inside and out.

Silver exterior, silver chassis up front:

...and in the rear:

Black exterior is black in the engine compartment:

Group Managing Editor at Kelley Blue Book, Autotrader, Dealer.com / Forbes automotive contributor
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Hopefully you won't at that point any time soon. They always put extra parts in those 959s right?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
GAFB

Just another data point - I've poked around in the trunk and inner fenders of a guards red 959 and can confirm the entire car was guards red. Got a book which would appear to corroborate this as well.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw View Post
Just another data point - I've poked around in the trunk and inner fenders of a guards red 959 and can confirm the entire car was guards red. Got a book which would appear to corroborate this as well.
This and the photos above confirm what my memory could not. Had just wondered how Baur (sp...) created these cars due to their limited run nature.

Very production... very cool.

And, yes, the Canepa cars go through a LOT of disassembly out back. Gulp.

pete
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts View Post
I noticed this previously, but didn't put two and two together that the entire exterior had been metallic.

Doesn't terribly matter to me...

-Wayne
As well it shouldn't imo. Who cares if it's a repaint? The po of my car repainted it because he didn't like the quality of the factory paint and wanted (received ino) a better product. How many cars at Goodwood have their original paint?

I have high hopes that this icon landed in perfect hands. As a car/Porsche enthusiast, you strike me as the kind of guy that will actually drive the car. It makes me cringe when superb cars such as yours end up in the hands of someone who hermetically seals them. They emerge only to get attacked by Q-tips and put on display at a golf course. The other side of the coin is the uber wealthy who have no business driving an ultra- high performance car. I believe there are a number of websites dedicated solely to these few who reduce the numbers of these cars each year with spectacular effect.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy the hell out of a model few of us will lay eyes on, let alone drive.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: