Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fitting a later font cooler - how to connect at the rear ?

I have just installed a 2.5 litre short-stroke twin-plug in my 911R-inspired '72 & I'm now about to embark on fitting a front (fender)-mounted cooler.

However, I am a bit unsure of how to plumb it in at the engine end.

I am going to use a 28-row brass oil cooler (from a 3.2) & front-to-rear hard lines & thermostat from an SC.

How is the engine/oil tank connected to the thermostat & can I use 'off the shelf' lines or will they need to be custom-made ?

M&W 904 ... now gone
New project underway ...

Last edited by andyjboy; 01-19-2008 at 02:56 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
With the oil tank being forward in 72, I think you will need to fab a line from the tank to the tstat. From the engine to the tstat, I believe you can use a stock line. Though you will need to use the line that matches with your trans. I would check in with Chuck at Elephant Racing. They have great diagrams on the website. I am doing a similar upgrade to my 69 and am sourcing the adapters from them so I can use the SC lines with my early cooler and tank fitting size.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
here's how the original was plumbed. I think Grady originally posted this
Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately the long hard lines and thermostat from the SC will not work on a 72. The factory 72 parts are almost all NLA.

I make a complete plumbing kit to convert the 72 to front cooler. It includes finned hard lines and a couple of custom hoses. You can modify your existing oil filter console to accept a thermostat insert, number 58 in the image above. This is the cleanest solution other than sourcing original '72 parts, which are scarce.

You can order the full kit through pelican.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: