Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Lee

Post Should my distributor rotor be spinning counter-clockwise?

I have a '78 SC...I just finished installing updated tensioners, plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, ignition coil, and also adjusting valves. (My first time...I need to readjust the valves I think)

When I set my engine at TDC, I noticed that the ignition rotor spun counter-clockwise, while my Bentley manual says it should spin clock-wise.

Anyone know why it would be doing this? Have I gotten wires backward somewhere? Did I do something weird to my distributor when I removed it and re-installed it?

Should I worry?
Old 05-16-2001, 08:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Panic Attack

Hey Lee, did you try grabbing the belt on the other side of the pulley and pull?
Old 05-16-2001, 08:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Lee

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you here...I didn't pull the belt from either side...I turned the nut on the fan clock-wise in order to turn the crank to TDC. But the distributor turned counter-clockwise.

Could you clarify what you mean?
Old 05-16-2001, 09:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jim T

i think counterclock is right for a '78.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Panic Attack

Im sorry Lee, I missunderstood your question the first go around; if your cranks is free, you can spin it which ever direction you like. (crank clockwise, rotor counter) Why did you remove the distributor? If you did were you sure to mark the relative position of the distributor body and crankcase? (just a straight line scratch?) It will still spin the the right direction if you put it back in the same spot or not, now it's just a question of firing order. If you didn't mark it, that's another chapter.

Old 05-16-2001, 09:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Roland Kunz

Hello

Yes with the new CD and breakerless bigger diameter disributor the orientation was changed from prvious clockwise to counterclockwise. Firing order as before but other way.

Decal on rear apron should show it.

New generation distributor get bolt straight in. No adjustment on the base.

Maintance is like on prevoius distibutor. A drop oil in the shaft under the finger.

OEM caps have the firing order and cylindernumbers marked on the cap.

Grüsse
Old 05-17-2001, 04:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
stormcrow

your distributor rotor should be turning counter-clockwise. Check your firing order and make sure that is correct. Next check to see if when you are at tdc that the #1 cylinder is on top, and that both the intake/exhaust valve rockers are free to move. If not, then you have your distributor 180 out of time.

Steve
Old 05-17-2001, 06:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 05-17-2001, 06:40 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: