Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.43 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I have a couple of things for your charts. The rear tag bracket is 928.701.050.03. The radio (a Blaupunkt Reno, not a Berlin Reno- the Berlin was a different model) is 911.645.160.01. The front valance was used from 1984 to 1989; the earlier ones were different. The part you list as a suppport (steel) for the oil cooler is actually a piece of extruded aluminum that is a protective guard for the cooler. Some people might like to see you weigh the front valance and spoiler sperately.

Keep it up. This thread is going to make a lot of people happy.

JR
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

awesome job !!!
Please, please, please keep all of your weight loss info on thei thread so I and others don't miss area(s) that you do.

Thanks and it must feel great to lose weight AND be able to get some $$ for parts you don't plan on needing anymore... thay can buy the new bumpers & body shop/paint work

Great thread !! Keep it going !!
Bob
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
Wow... subscribed.
'91-964 Cabriolet Widebody / '02 996TT
Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I have been using a kichen/food of unknown accuracy scale for small stuff and a bathroom scale for larger items. I don't have a lot of confidence in either.

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced but accurate scale in the 0 to 20 or even 30 pound range?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
A Scientific Supply House will have accurate scales. Not sure if they will be "cheap"! But they are hugely less expensive now than before.

BTW - Shakin - are the p/n's for the old part? If so, I don't see p/n's for the new part...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

rfloz - What do mean by reasonably priced. The scale I have is under $300 and will measure to the 1/10 ounce, and up to 200 lbs. I can get them for anyone that needs them.

RWebb - I do not have the new part numbers in yet but the they will be by build end in September. I want to have 99% of data prior to posting, and I have yet to weigh my fiberglass items as they are not in yet. I will also weigh the whole car at the end. I have had a ton of requests for additional data, and I am weighing as fast as I can! Some really cool threads on RSA panels, Insulation and more are upcoming. It has been a lot of work doing this, and I am not over the edge as it may appear with the "anal" nature of the sheets I have posted. I really like doing things the right way, like repairing two ball marks on the green instead of just yours. Leave the place in better shape than when you entered. I know this data will help a lot of mechanically "average" people in our fraternity here.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to opticalfuel Send a message via Yahoo to opticalfuel Send a message via Skype™ to opticalfuel
I am following your lead... I am in the beginning stages of a project. Right now I am contemplating what to put BACK on the car. It is a rolling shell. It'll never again have all the stock equipment.

It weighs so little at the moment, that I can push it back up a 10% grade (steep driveway) into the garage *almost* without help.

I have a wench set up for later when I might need to use it to pull it back into sleep position.

It's all being documented here: http://www.74911RS.com/

Mine is a short hood, but it'll only ever have the very basic necessities to make it street worthy. I want a mean machine - not too snotty to be in the gravel once in a while.

Right now I am starting on the body work (just a few areas need addressing... minor possible rust fuss.. quarter panels, but also waiting for rear Duck tail FG decklid, and trying to locate a good RSR (930 wide body) style for a 74 style look front end.

I am curious:

Does anyone have some good advise on this: Do I need to remount the bumpers (which I have) or can I leave them off and somehow make the FG bodywork bumpers work?

What should be done on that?

That yellow long hood machine a few pages back is *roughly* what I am building.
Miss those weekend drives up Hwy49 and back...
Professionally: Web Developer

Last edited by opticalfuel; 08-07-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: pics
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalfuel View Post
I have a wench set up for later when I might need ... sleep position.
There is nothing like a lusty wench after a long day wrenching and winching.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakinJoe View Post
I am not over the edge as it may appear * * * I really like doing things the right way, like repairing two ball marks on the green instead of just yours. Leave the place in better shape than when you entered.
In that case, how would you like to come up to Oregon and "visit" for a while. Besides car work I have a ton of house projects that need to get done the right way so you can leave it all in better shape than when you entered....

We might even be able to give you your choice of Oregon's 3 main agricultural products - beer, wine & pot.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to opticalfuel Send a message via Yahoo to opticalfuel Send a message via Skype™ to opticalfuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
There is nothing like a lusty wench after a long day wrenching and winching.
I couldn't have said it better myself,

wait... in fact... I couldn't even say that...what were we talking about?

It's a fine wench... in need of a good wrenching.

(thanks for the laughs)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Getting near the end of deconstruction

My current tally for the weight loss is as follows:

Heat is still in.
Lots of wires (Power Seats, AC, Speaker wires) to be removed.
All blowers/motors still in
Evap is still in.

I am at an astounding....drum roll please

484.75 lbs GONE!!

Now I know weights roughly of stuff going back in and I am at 108.65 right now. But I still have to add in the center oil cooler and lines, and rollbar. Let's guess at 100 lbs for a total of 208.65 back in.

At this point I will net 276 lbs loss but we will see soon!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Do you know of a shop or method that can determine the gross weight of your vehicle?

I guess the scales on the way to the refuse / reclaim centers can weigh you car for you, right?

I might try that when I get my car done. Just drive over to the local dump, get on the scale walk up to the window and ask how much the car weighs.

Probably free.

That way you know what the HP / weight ratio is.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Back in New England!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MattAlpha Send a message via MSN to MattAlpha
Most moving companies have a truck scale that measure down to at least the pound. A weighing generally costs any where from 5 to 20 dollars.

On a side note, ShakinJoe are you going to remove you fresh air blower and the flapper boxes? You can run a single vent line from the front (hood intake) to your center "A/C" dash vents for some fresh air at the track. Just a thought.

I removed my fender window washer tank and converted over to the high pressure system that mounts beside the master cylinder's reservoir. I didn't weigh any of it, but the fender tank is heavy, where as the reservior for the high pressure unit is at most 5 pounds when filled.

Keep having fun with this project!
-Matt
'78 RoW 911SC Targa converted to a '86-like 3.2L Cab (w/930 body & No A/C) Custom subframe integrated into AutoPower Half Cage, Euro Ride Height, Turbo Tie-Rods, WeltMeister Bump Steer Kit, Sway-Away 26mm Rear Torsion Bars, Koni Adjustable Shocks and Strut Inserts, Two Bar Rennline Strut Tower Brace, Poly Motor Mounts, WEVO Trans Mounts, Modified Conical K&N Intake, ER PB A-arm bushings and 17" CUP3 Wheels. Steve Wong Chip!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Day 4 - August 4, 2008 (Part 1)

Day 4 will be 2 posts as I started early, took a small break and went back at it and finished up late. My son Sam was an eager beaver today, so much so that his sister tried to get in the action as well. Guys, it is very funny to give your son a screwdriver and tell him to remove a screw and he turns and asks, "which way do I turn it?" To watch him dive into this is as exciting as is this whole process for me. He does not miss a chance to ride in the bare metal pan as we pull it back into the garage, or for a quick ride around the block to see our friends Mark and Patrick who have the sweetest unmolested 81 Euro 930 non sunroof coupe you might ever see.

The first part of the day starts out with a simple task, remove the front smile. I literally showed Sam where the fasteners were and he went at it!! This gave me time to get going on the AC line removal. The tough part was the right rear (liquid line) portion of the hose from engine compartment to the dirty side of the car. If I would have search on Pelican, I am sure I would have found that removing the Cruise Control Unit would have made it a lot easier! When you do remove the Cruise Control Unit, say good bye tho the skin on your knuckles. This is one of the few "un-German" things I have found.

Let's get to work!!

Sam Starts on the Rubber Smile. He has no fear of the car falling!

"I think I can get this from here..."

Stretch Sammy Stretch!!! No complaints, he just worked!

Job well done. While Sam was working on that, I removed the horns as I will relocate the to the driver's side to clear up the air to my fender cooler. I will also remove the fan and run a duct up there as well.

Now on to the AC hoses. You cannot see most of them, so visually the change was small, except for the left front wheel well where everthing comes together! Check it out!

Two pics of "before"

Midway thru and I have started pulling the hose out.

Now check out these after Shots!!! WOW!!!

Engine compartment void of AC hoses. It looks awesome to me!! Now...For that pesky Cruise Control Unit at the back left. When I did remove it a couple days later, I thought about smashing it to pieces, just to smash it to pieces.

I will take a break now...and then come back to remove the rockers and then tally up the weights.

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-07-2008 at 08:08 PM..
Old 08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAlpha View Post
Most moving companies have a truck scale that measure down to at least the pound.
Never confuse accuracy with the ability to indicate a lot of digits!

A high quality truck scale may be accurate to +- 20 lbs. No way will one be accurate to 1 lb.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

[QUOTE=opticalfuel;4108236]Do you know of a shop or method that can determine the gross weight of your vehicle?
[QUOTE]

Go to a reputable PM and they should have scales for corner balancing. Most PM who build track cars will weigh it for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Matt,

Not sure yet about the fresh air box yet. I would say more than likely.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Day 4 - August 4, 2008 (Part 2)

Alrighty - I just watched the TIVO of F1 qualifying and now I am ready to get back at it. I spend a little time cleaning up and weighing some parts that have come off the car. Now it is time to get to the rockers.

The 87-89 Carrera's pose a small problem with the torsion bar hole as it is not a round plug that just pops out. I had to make a decision here as now we are talking body work. I know I know...not that expensive of a fix. Start adding all of the "it's only another $250" stuff up and.....well many of you know this and I do not want to open any wounds. The decision???? I do not prefer them on a modified car. I think they look fine on a driver, but I have seen a lot of people try to hide them with paint, and I did not want that...just personal preferance. I also do not like the flag mirrors and I am looking for a solution as we speak. Do not reply to this with advice on Aero or 935's please. Let's move on...shall we?

Here is the torsion bar cover issue I am talking about. Flieger gave me a great idea, and I may just clean the part up, make the hole size round and correct, and use some Dzus fasteners (exposed) to hold them in. It might look pretty cool.

It was getting late and I had a few more things to go, but family pulls up from soccer practice and the kids jump right in! Aside from pulling the rubber off, they removed this rocker in about 15 minutes.

Before

During..........

After......... Again, please look at the ride height.

Now I will close this with the original picture of my car at Sebring, followed by a couple shots of the ride height now. It was at this point that I asked if I could get 22's with spinners on this beast and I think the answer is yes. PCA has not responded to my request to allow spinners at DE.

1-1/2 months ago - The car ride height is close to low as it can go.

Now look at it!!! Holy batcakes!

NEXT UP?

Door Panel Removal
Drivers Seat Buh Bye
Wire clean Up
Engine Mat Removal
Cruise Control Module removal
A little bit of grinding and sanding

I will post some weights for you right now.

Last edited by ShakinJoe; 08-07-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Day 4 WEIGHT TOTALS

Ok,

Attached are the weights from the last 4 days. The removed items that you see listed combined for 416.54 pounds!!! I will do door panels on day five which brought my total to roughly 438 pounds. While this may seem amazing, I will remove an additional ~ 70 pounds in the next few days!

The attached charts reflect how quickly this beast can be taken apart. It has to go to the body shop tomorrow, so I am going to try to do a few last minute items prior to a two - three week hiatus. I will still post some other quick tips that I have compiled along the way.

Again - I need help filling in the blanks and correcting for errors. An extra set of 6,000 eyes is very benficial here and appreciated. Please PM me with the changes as they are easier to track for me.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Nice work. I am afraid some comfort will be missed - driving to the track without cruise can be a PITA. No windshield washer? No horn? This starts to remind me of my old SC.

I wish I could find a good balance on the 993. So far it is it's fat factory pig.

George
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
backdate , carrera , weight