Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Backdating a SC dash to pre 73 look

After some thought, I figured I would try and take my old dash (came from my SC) and try to fabricate it to look like a pre 73 dash. To start with this dash was warped badly and was about to hit the trash can. While working on my project I needed the entire garage and left my 79 SC outside overnight for a few days. temps dropped to 10 degrees and its dash cracked, so that led me to try this.

In my backdate project I am not all that fond of the ac vents so here is where we start.
This is how it looked 13 months ago in the car. you can see the edges tilted up at the windsheild.

I bought another dash and it is in it now. You can click the link in my sig to read about all the changes the car has been through in 13 months.
I took some t-shirt material and fiberglass to make a mold for the plug to cover the AC vent.

No picture, but from the backside I coated it with vasoline so it would pop out. After which I poured some resin in from behind to lock it into place.

In place, I took some bondo and mixed it with fiberglass to give me a hard but not as heavy filler.

The entire dash was wavy so I took some filler and wiped it over the dash, plus the foam had broken off right past the drivers vent opening. This picture is funny to me.I am either 7 feet tall or barely taller than a dash depending on your perspective.

Cleaned up a little.

Shot from the side wavyness gone.

On covering it. I have covered one a couple of times. This time I chose to cover the seam and let the glue sit for 24 hours. Last time I got a good seam but as I was stretching it the seam was not as sharp.
Here is a shot with the seam glued. Did not realize it was so dusty until I edited the pics.

Tonight I should be able to cover the rest and see how it looks.

What do you think, waste of time buy one outright?

Thanks
Phil
1974 914 1.8
1980 911 SC Backdated Viper Green

Last edited by w21055; 02-09-2009 at 08:41 AM..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Plotter and C.R.A.P.per

wow! which glue are you using. Seeing that you have done it a few times, you might have a preference by now. When doing this type of thing, should you warm up the vinyl/leather first so it will stretch and mold easier?

- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
I do not know what the name of the glue is, but it is yellow and to my knowledge can not be bought over the counter. Comes in big 5 gallon cans. I only have a little left and used it for the seam. Select products in Florida may sell it over the net, we used to order it from them in my old job.I have a buddy that owns an interior shop and he gave me a little. I usually heat it as I am glueing it. I prefer to use steam but it usually will let it get to wet, steam is less likely to crease up the vinyl.
1974 914 1.8
Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll watch this with interest!

You may be interested in this thread over on DDK. I believe the thread starter has also posted his progress on here.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21688&highlight=backdating
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Good job. I hope to do the same at some point, so will be watching closely.

Would normal contact adhesive do just as good a job?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks awesome!

Phil, you might consider skipping the speaker hole. I like the super clean look!
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

One of my friends had a new '73 911S coupe with a Factory full leather interior (saddle brown). One of the remarkable features was the stitched leather dash. I wish I had pictures.

This should be relatively easy to reproduce in leather no matter what the vent, A/C, speaker configuration.

I have seen vinyl stitched dash repair but it typically looks 'cheap'. One reason is it isn't a theme carried throughout the interior.

If I were rehabbing the interior of any 911, my first choice would be exactly as original with original (or OEM if correct) parts. That seems increasingly impossible given PAG’s (& organ PCNA’s) business attitude. Consequently, I would choose today a ‘race-car-like’ Nomex interior done as Factory RS or a ‘Factory-like’ leather interior. One feature would be a stitched leather dash. I would continue the ‘Factory-like’ theme throughout the interior. Giver ‘Porsche prices’, leather is home-grown and affordable. Leatherworking is a DIY home skill that almost anyone can master.

There are several pieces. Some depend on model (I’m talking coupe here).

Dash panels; top dash, area around the instruments, pieces across the dash face and the knee pad pieces.
Seats – front & rear.
Door panels including pull handle/pulls, armrests and pockets, rear quarter panels, rear package tray and three trim pieces (L, R and rear).

Sometime more difficult are the coverings on the A & B-pillars. Many Factory special interiors left these black vinyl because the interior was installed later in the assembly process. A few were part of the overall theme.

Another very important decision involves fabric. Over many years, some of the ‘more special’ unique factory interiors used fabric in various places. Those included seat inserts (my favorite for long distance driving), door panels, rear seats and more. Some of the choices have been corduroy, ‘hounds tooth’ and even psychedelic’ material. I think the choice should be period appropriate but being factory-like is most important in my eye.

Just as all the choices with bodywork and mechanical components, rebuilding a 911 greatly benefits from decisions that appear to be as Factory Original. The good news is that the Factory did lots of stuff over the years. Our advantage is that we can now pick-&-choose among many good choices – given our hindsight ability.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
Grady very good points. I used vinyl because it was what I had left over after doing the pillars. Now if I use this dash will be another question. I like the standard dash, actually not a fan of leather covered or vinyl. Plus I have nothing to do until the car gets back from the paint shop again.

With that said.
I finished covering it tonight. I did not trim anything with the thoughts that is something I probably want to do once it is fitted in the dash.

My next project is either going to be a 914 or a 74-76 911 narrow body to do a long hood. In that case I could use this one in it.
I think from where it was to now is a huge difference. This thing was missing about half an inch of foam at the edges.

Thanks
Phil
1974 914 1.8

Last edited by w21055; 02-09-2009 at 05:50 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wow looks brand new to me...heck of alot better than the covers. Did you save me a couple of vinyl squares to cover the power window openings in my door panels :-)
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That's impressive! Great idea.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Always learning

Garage
Hi
I have a similar dash. There is a fiberboard pannel that has come with the dash - can I disgard this?

TIA

R
Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: