Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Overdue intro and SC hotrod project

I joined this forum back in March 2008 and thus my intro is long overdue. When I joined I failed to notice this protocol and by the time I found out it seemed too late. Now I am far enough into my SC project that I have something worth showing

Here is my 1983 SC being delivered last summer....

I am not new to Porsches but these is my first foray into 911 territory. I had read a few articles about the R Gruppe and had always been fond of the long nose 911 look. Unfortunately by the time I got around to buying one I was at the height of the buying frenzy. I then turned my focus towards a Euro Carrera 3.0 but the very few that came up for sale were snapped up right away. I got tired of checking half a dozen websites every single day to catch the right car and decided to build a kind of R Gruppe impact bumper car.

My inspiration came from these cars that I saw on the www.impactbumpers.com site (I hope people are OK with me posting these here) and set about finding the right car to transform.

I was looking for a car in one of the bright '70's colours like continental orange, mexico blue, lime green etc. but very quickly realized they are few and far between so I compromised for a black car that would undergo a colour change thinking that the black front trunk and engine bay would look OK with a different colour exterior.

After months of searching I found my '83 up in Fairfax, VA. It had been mechanically rebuilt but was cosmetically challenged which was just the car I was looking for. With around 100,000 miles on the clock it was fairly stock except for - repro fuchs 16x7 and 8, Momo wheel and shift knob, Alpine stereo and Carrera rear wing. Black with grey/beige interior.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Designer King

Let the games begin!
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The previous owner ran an independent Porsche repair shop in Fairfax and had purchased the car from a customer to turn into an RS replica. He had his shop go through the mechanicals of the car end to end which generated a bill of some $27,000 With still lots of cosmetic work to do and a collection of other P-cars he already owned he decided to shelve the idea and sell the SC.

I bought the car with 70 miles on the rebuilt engine so first step was running in the engine then a valve adjustment. The Carrera wing came off in short order and a Getty Design ducktail took its place. The interior was gradually removed along with the factory soundproofing and I was pleased to find a solid structure underneath.

Some light surface corrosion from a leaking rear window seal but some POR-15 quickly took care of that...

Last edited by kiwiokie; 09-13-2009 at 07:27 AM..
Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just love these ducktails....
Also snuck in a set of SSI's and an M&K 2 in 2 out sport exhaust which I painted flat white similar to the race cars of the early '70's like the Ferrari 512.

Last edited by kiwiokie; 09-13-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to MrPerkles
Thumbs up

nice project you picked three of the best off impact bumpers you have fine taste
Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Nice, please join the Plot as well. We'll give your superiority complex the support it needs from time to time... muuuuhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

(Seriously, welcome to Pelican and a great community!)

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
Nice. I've also found inspiration from the IB group for my hotrod '83 SC. Between this forum, IB and early S, all the bases are covered.

'83 911SC
'07 R1200S
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the positive comments folks. The engine and transmission were both rebuilt by the previous owner. I hope I can keep them this clean

The engine was rebuilt stock except for the cylinders were shaved a touch to bring the compression up to Euro level of 9.8:1 and the crankcase was boat-tailed (although I must admit to not being able to picture what this is exactly). Chain tensioners were upgraded, pistons and rods balanced, cylinder heads flycut and steel headstuds were used. The cylinders were measured to be within spec and were therefore reused but with new rings. I have heard this is not the best way to go but the rings seemed to have bedded in well, the PPI showed great leakdown test results and the engine blows no smoke on startup or operation so time will tell. The engine runs strong and pulls hard all the way to redline. Throttle response is immediate which is not what I was expecting after reading about the woes of CIS.

Last edited by kiwiokie; 09-13-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
looks like you have Bilsteins on the rear anyway...

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yes, Bilsteins all around. All 4 calipers were rebuilt and brake hoses replaced along with the suspension bushings.

I am hoping to end up with a car that someone might have ended up with by hotting up a '74 Carrera. Not one for the purists but this is a hot rod after all. Bumpers have been replaced with Getty Design fiberglass replicas and the rear bumperettes have been dumped. Flag mirrors have been dropped for a pair of '73RS replicas in black. Mr. Weidman supplied a beautiful set of RSR finished 16x7 and 16 x 8 original fuchs. Rocker panel trim has been deleted.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Ferdinand Magazine

Garage
Great stuff, they are definitely three great cars to reference. Glad we might have helped out on the inspiration front
RGruppe #446

1976 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0: 'The Orange' - 1981 924 Turbo - 1983 944 Lux - Too many BMW motorcycles
Old 09-13-2009, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Keen 915 operator

Garage
The '73 RS mirrors, are they the ones found on the green UK registered car near the top of the page? In that case, where did you get them, and how much were they?
When I finally buy my 911, I'm planning on mounting a pair myself. Do they fit 'bolt on', or do they require any modification to them or the doors?

I'm following this thread with great interest, as your plans for your car are very much like the ones I have. Keep up the good work!

'82 Porsche 911 SC Coupe, 655 Platinum metallic,
an Opel and a VW.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndglynn View Post
Great stuff, they are definitely three great cars to reference. Glad we might have helped out on the inspiration front
John, thanks very much for maintaining your site. I spent many many hours looking at the cars in the hot rod section, picking out elements of cars I would like to emulate in my project car. After accumulating many bits I am at the fun stage of seeing it put together.

Here are some pics of the car undergoing a repaint by Huber Restorations in Tulsa. Jeff is a Porsche owner and has been great to work with on the little modifications I have requested. The first yellow coat is an etch primer that will bond to the factory galvanizing.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
winter

Cool!

One day I'll dig into my '75 like this. And thanks to the link for impactbumpers.com. I didn't know about it.

---

Tom '75 targa
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix83 View Post
The '73 RS mirrors, are they the ones found on the green UK registered car near the top of the page? In that case, where did you get them, and how much were they?
When I finally buy my 911, I'm planning on mounting a pair myself. Do they fit 'bolt on', or do they require any modification to them or the doors?

I'm following this thread with great interest, as your plans for your car are very much like the ones I have. Keep up the good work!
Hello Felix, thanks for the encouragement. I do not know what brand of mirrors are on the green car. The RS mirrors look like this picture below. They are readily available on eBay and the going rate seems to be about $80 per mirror although they do pop up on the Parts For Sale forum a little cheaper. The flag mirrors have three mounting holes which need to be welded up if you wish to use different mirrors. The flag mirrors are ridiculously heavy but probably offer the most stable view.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The car is now all in primer but has yet to be blocked. Hopefully that will happen this week and it will start looking more like a car again. It is a little nerve wracking to see your nice complete car slowly look less and less like a viable form of transport as it gets stripped down for the painting process. Fortunately the professionals are doing it rather than myself who would be bound to screw it up royally beyond repair. Those with keen eyesight may notice the hole for the aerial has been filled, as have the windshield washer holes (Rain-X is your friend), side rocker trim holes, the front license plate holes in the front valance and the holes for the driving lights. The rear reflector delete panel can be seen sitting where the decklid should be.

Last edited by kiwiokie; 09-13-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Probably my only hesitation with going for an impact bumper model was the bumpers themselves. I really like the way the long nose bumpers round off the point at each end of the car whereas the impact bumpers stick forward too much. I was heading down the lightweight bumper path along with Euro lightweight crush tubes when I decided to see what could be done to bring the bumpers closer into the car. I ditched the crush tubes and instead drilled a hole in the existing bumper shocks (always stand to the side of the hole when doing this ). Once the fluid was out (amazing how much fluid is in each one) the shocks were pushed back taking the bumpers with them. Since my bumper blades are fiberglass they can be adapted to fit the stock rubber belows without too much trouble and the rear bumper has an integral lower valance which avoids having to mess with this alignment. The rear bumper now allows the tailpipes to stick proud of the bumper (woof!) and the front bumper should now be about half an inch out from the smile. Hopefully it will all go back together in this manner.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here is a teaser of what the colour will look like on the car.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Shout outs

At this point I must pay homage to some folks on this list that have really gone out of their way to help me with my project thus far -

javadog who listened to my endless raves during my car shopping period and stopped me from buying a turd on more than one occasion and also let me buy a gorgeous pair of aftermarket Recaros from his secret stash of 911 stuff.

hesaputz for educating me an all areas of steering wheel appreciation, loaning me a lovely vintage Momo from his collection to get me addicted, selling me a great set of fuchs from his secret stash and donating a pair of interior quarter panels to a worthy cause.

JoeyD911 who gave me a terrific carbon fiber decklid prop so I don't have to rest the ducktail on the back of my head to check the oil.

Stephanie (sorry lost your username) who gave me the Quiet Car soundproofing paint left over from her project.

Jack Olsen for answering a PM from an unknown user and within a few hours had me some links to buy the '911' Millennium edition badge that I had seen on his car but could not find anywhere on the web.

In the words of NZ boxer Jimmy Thunder Peau on his Wheel of Fortune debut, you folks are "O for awesome".
Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Wheels and tires ready to go

I bought a cheap set of near-new Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires off of eBay and had them mounted today. I really like the RSR finish and can't wait to see these on the car. Car was blocked this week and is ready for final coat of primer early next week.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: