Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks Roland for posting that list. I always thought this was a 3.0 RS tail due to the 911 part number.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

John 2 questions. Is your tail a fiberglass frame? How is the secondary grill attached?

NVH
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
75 Carrera

Here is a couple of shots of a '75 Carrera. It does have the metal tray and the fiberglass is a woven is a square pattern. Factory A/C has been removed from the engine bay. Condensor sat under the vent, but the carbs prevented the lid from closing. I'm sure everyone would agree I made the right choice

75 Carrera Coupe 2.8L #81
75 911 Targa
2006 Cayenne S Titanium
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

i guess they dont plan on starting that car!

You were referring to the air cleaner on the SCRS that appears to be closed off?
Actually the SCRS has a snorkle on the back side of the housing. The factory delivered it with an intake muffler on the end !
The picture shows the correct housing and the owner has installed a flex duct (lower passenger side of the compartment) onto the snorkel to get cooler air to the intake
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I've got two different original documents from Porsche, but unfortunately they are protected, so I cannot print or post them. I try to snap them.
What I can do, is email them, so please sent me your email address if needed

Roland

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon77 View Post
John 2 questions. Is your tail a fiberglass frame? How is the secondary grill attached?

Being a European tail, it's all fiberglass. They didn't have the metal framed tails over there.

The grill is held into place w/ two screws... which do not look factory on my tail, but more like something that you'd get at Ace hardware. No sure what the correct answer is here???

Roland, my email is: jpnorthwood@aol.com THANKS

Last edited by John Schaefer; 02-24-2010 at 05:56 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

This is an aluminum and fiberglass tail that passed thru my hands not too long ago. I was told it was correct for an IROC w/o the ducktail. It was sold and now installed on a real IROC car

Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

75 tail. I added from my none tail deck lid the light fixture

Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schaefer View Post
Being a European tail, it's all fiberglass. They didn't have the metal framed tails over there.
Ahh, hang on there... They did use metal framed tails in Europe. In fact, the tails are the same part number on both sides of the pond, 911.512.110.07, which is what you posted a picture of.

I have no idea if this tail was used on the '74 3.0RS, as I don't have a parts book for that car.

JR
Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
cycling has-been

stock, as delivered in 77, (mfg apr 76). note lack of drip tray
Bill K

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Which drip tray is absent?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by group911@aol.co View Post
77 turbo tail with pics of correct a/c condenser and ducting out of tail
isn't that a drip tray?

oops, sorry, your's looks different in that shot, but I can see it's the same minus the deflector?

Last edited by bkreigsr; 03-09-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
1994 turbo S tail

You might find this interesting. A bit different than the early turbo carrera tails.

This is probably the only factory turbo S tail in existence that is still in original gel coat. I did quite a bit of research before taking a chance and buying this on Ebay. It was listed as a 92 turbo S tail which is different and the pictures match and unit is an identical match to 2 turbo S tails I have compared this tail to side by side. This was the largest single piece production tail fitted to a 911. I am not including tails fitted to race cars in this comment.

There are no part numbers on any of the tails and no part number is known to exist. The tail came with the factory grill and plastic surround that keeps air flowing over the intercooler. teh surround and grill are different than the units used on the stock 964 turbo. This tail comes in many aftermarket versions which are similar but quality and finish are not close and this unit has all holes pre-drilled along with fasteners inset into the glass which you do not get on the aftermarket tails. The OE stamp in the glass is the only thing that shows originality other than what can be seen by side by side comparison. these tails became NLA in 1996 at a cost of $6000 and you had to prove ownership of a 94 turbo S to obtain one. Photos i received from Ebay seller.

Here are some up close shots from a factory installed tail painted black.

the tail once received.

I placed the tail on a 930 deck lid i had to see how it matched up which was perfect no fitting is needed. The tail needs TLC since it has been floating around some garage since 1996 in original gelcoat.

A factory turbo S tail on my friends Turbo S
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Cobalt

very cool tail!

glade to see we are getting a good discription with all these photos, i have learned aquite a bitabout about tails.

cheers ed
Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Hello everyone, I have now received recent purchase from post, and took a couple of photos. So far have not been able to find any part-numbers on it.

- where should I look?
- is this authentic?

# Overall view:

# Grille close-up:

# Grille from inside:

# From underneath, I removed with paint-stripper paint from these yellow-circle areas .... no sign of any part-numbers here

Are there any other areas, from where photos could help to identify this tail?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Looks real. Never have seen a part number on this style lid. Pull the rubber and you will see a part number on that. Looks like the frame has a couple of extra holes but nothing serious.
Also, is that some sort of metal strap between your 2 yellow circles?
Now you need all the ducting if you are restoring a 76 930
Old 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Thanks Bob, now there is no need to search for something there is not (part-numbers on lid).

The extra holes you noticed continue to the other side. Perhaps the lid has been on a racer.

I may have to buy another lid for parts. In addition to ducting, there are some obvious items missing:
- large grille
- hinges
- lock-mechanism

Had a long search for the early 930/carrera -tail. Here is a summary:
- Rubber is most critical
-- there are many tails for sale without rubber (or with bad rubber) - however rubber availability is zero - new or used.

Quite appreciate this kind of thread, it has been of great help in search for the right tail.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
If someone needs the whole document, I can email as PDF in better quality, it's 5pages...
If you would still be willing to email me a copy, I would appreciate having it. Where did you get it? It seems that there are many documents available in Germany that I have never seen in the US.

You could send it to javadog@cox.net

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-05-2010, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
If you would still be willing to email me a copy, I would appreciate having it. Where did you get it? It seems that there are many documents available in Germany that I have never seen in the US.

You could send it to javadog@cox.net

Thanks,
Jeff
Email sent

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 12-06-2010, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

[QUOTE=John Schaefer;5221447]This is an aluminum and fiberglass tail that passed thru my hands not too long ago. I was told it was correct for an IROC w/o the ducktail. It was sold and now installed on a real IROC car

should anyone need it I have the small factory grille to fit the opening

Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: