Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Obsessed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesride View Post
Just my opinion! But anyone with any vision will see how much more sleek and liquid the coupe lines are compaired to the targa.
Maybe you should try visualizing from INSIDE a Targa car some time
Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Nice work. I won't say this by way of criticizing, but with that super well crafted roll cage and stiffening job, you could have made the car into a cabriolet and used a fiberglass roof.

No better way to fabricate a roll cage than to have total access!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

"While you are there" you might reinforce the rear shock towers a la the RSRs.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobamaflyer View Post
Touche!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Very nice work!

Have you thought about going one step further and backdating it? Just not a fan of the big bumpers...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobamaflyer View Post
They forget how nice it is to have the top off and still have the security of a Targa roll bar. Heathens!
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Sick skills! Looks like its getting prepped to be a serious car, what's getting put in the back?
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
High heel marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeaksa View Post
They forget how nice it is to have the top off and still have the security of a Targa roll bar. Heathens!
My opinion the coupe still looks better but at least with a Targa I might not have all those High Heel Holes in my headliner!!!! For more than one reason!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naparsei View Post
"While you are there" you might reinforce the rear shock towers a la the RSRs.
+1
Seems like chassis reinforcement would be more complete by installing the usual pieces in this and other areas.

Sherwood
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments! I bought this car, my first 911 last year and drove it all year, and honestly I really did not like the targa as far as chassis flex, wind noise, leaking, looks etc (not to bash on targa owners as I was/am one, its just not a very practical car here in Vermont) I have driven plenty of other 911's and the targa just wasn't the same. I had some repairs to make and a respray was in order so why not convert it. Also the targa has some additional chassis reinforcement pieces which should compliment the coupe. The car will be getting the rsr shock tower reinforcements as well as front camber boxes and some other goodies. I'm just trying to get the chassis set up how I like now and then when my wallet recovers I will start with the proper suspension goodies. Currently I am working on the front oil cooler scoop/brake ducts which I will post pictures of shortly.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabear View Post
Sick skills! Looks like its getting prepped to be a serious car, what's getting put in the back?
For the back I just have a 3.0L that will be going back in, nothing special, but when the care progress's and I get comfortable with it, I would love to/hope to do a turbo 3.3. I came from the big turbo audi world so I really miss playing with the snails
Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

She's coming along!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
If it were anyone else doing this I would say it's an incredibly stupid idea but in your case I can't say that. You obviously have the skills to pull this off.

You are one talented SOB. Kudos to you!

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Garage
First I would like to say nice work you definately have skills, BUT if all you wanted to do was stiffen the car up you could have kept the open car theme and stiffened the chassis up in other ways like I did when I converted my targa to a cab. Again nice work and +1 on the gussets on the shock towers while you are in there.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Tom

You are obviously preparing this car so it can be raced (even if you only forsee DE at this point). It pays to take a look at the rules various race organizations have for classing cars. On the off chance that you haven't, or for those taken by the fine workmanship but not fully conversant with racing car preparation rules, I offer some comments.

Some sanctioning bodies limit the number of attachment points for the cage in some classes. So you can't race in a class with such a rule. Others don't.

PCA Club Racing (something I know a bit about) does not limit how many attachments you have to the cage inside the passenger compartment. So you are OK there. It makes a lot of sense to tie the tub and cage together frequently, even if you haven't cut the car apart.

PCA, however, does not allow the cage to be extended outside the passenger compartment in the stock classes. I don't see that you are doing that, so you haven't crossed that Rubicon.

Some sanctioning bodies require extensions from the front hoop to the firewall. I think only those which limit attachments might prohibit this, but haven't got everyone's rules in the memory banks. PCA obviously allows this.

Many rules operate on a "if it isn't specifically allowed, you can't do it" basis. So I'd be careful about RSR reinforcements and the like if you have any racing aspirations. These were made so that coilovers could be used. They aren't really necessary for a torsion bar suspension.

PCA requires one door protection bar. Some organizations (SCCA comes to mind) require two. I've got two in my SC. About the only reason not to have two is to save weight, and having a second door bar will stiffen things up as well as increase side impact protection.

If you are aiming at racing in a modified class, where there are many fewer restrictions, then little of this applies outside of the minimum safety requirements.

The short of this is that it pays to look at what various racing organizations allow, require, and forbid for the kind of class you might be interested in racing in. It is usually possible to build a cage which will comply with all of these rules without conflicting with any of them. Beyond that, as long as you know that you won't be able to race in class X with organization Y, and don't care, all is well too.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

nice work, I love it!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Hey Walt, good info!

When I built the cage I briefly read through the SCCA rules, but really only to see the proper way of tying the cage into the car. The idea behind this particular car was to have a street legal DE car, but even more than that, it was to try some new to me things fabrication-wise and to build something I'm proud of.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent work Tom! Can't wait to be the scrub in the passenger seat!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Garage
Probably too late to remove the gutter rails huh?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
where the heck is a new post about this project!!!! i want to see update pics!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: