Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuchs rim questions

I was wondering if this size Fuchs would fit on the rear my 1989 911 Carrera without any or few Modifications the size is Rear = 911362119 9Jx16 245/45 ...

My car is lowered Euro Hight and is a none Turbo (narrow body)

I have 16x8 rear with 911 offset on my car know but was hopping to get little wider in the rear

Much Respect
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
They will fit with no problem whatsoever,had 9x16's with 245/45/16's previously on my 89 NB Coupe.Yes my car was lowered as well !

Cheers !
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks WildCat077.Now its time to make a deal.

Much Respect
Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jack

I think the 8s are more desirable due to tire selection?? I am sure someone will chime in.

-jack
Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You pretty much are stuck with the same tire size on either. Still, the wider rim gives better mechanical advantage over the tire carcass and is an improvement.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Discount Tire stills sells a 16 inch 245 tire. Its a Yokohama AVS Sport. I picked up two today. Now seems the problem they don't sell AVS Sport in a 16 inch 205 for the front. They are probably discontinuing the 245 and these were left in a warehouse. I ended up with Yok's Neova Advans. IF I had it all to do all over I might have looked harder. But the weather here in Central Texas is perfect right now and didn't feel like waiting. The other issue is Discount is about the only place around here that sells nice tires. $201 each for the 245's.
1987 911 Guards Red Targa, nearing 200,000 miles, lowered, 7's & 8's, 964 grind cams from John Dougherty, A.P.E. Mass Flow Sensor with chip to match, cat bypass, strut brace, dual out muffler. Will consider newer model in 8 years when I turn 75 and then maybe not.
2012 BMW 528i (wife's)
2007 Toyota FJ (rain and off road days)
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Northern Motorhead

Garage
89 Cab,

TOYO makes a Proxes T1R in 245/45/16 as well as 225/50/16 for the front.I had those on my car last Summer and they were a great tire.
Go on TOYO's website and you will be amazed ar the tire size variety they carry !

Cheers
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tripple Black 86 Carrera

Garage
I just bought a 86 Carrera and the Fuchs wheels are all peeling and need refinishing. I heard from a fellow enthusiast that he used Brillo and steel wool and basically rubbed all the plastic off. I'm no newbie to elbow grease but would like to know if there is someone with a different approach? I would prefer not using anything that could scratch the chrome undercoat?
All input will be appreciated

Last edited by Pouncer911; 10-26-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: typeo
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Peeling?.....what exactly is peeling?.....the anodize surface doesn't peel. Was the wheel chromed in the past? Maybe somebody's earlier clearcoat is now coming off?

Rubbed the plastic off?....what plastic?....there is no plastic on these wheels.

Steel wool?....never !....you will embed small shards of "steel" ( rust) into the softer aluminum of the wheel. Bad idea.

I would suggest a basic search on wheel refinishing..maybe even my thread on "economy RSR finish"...many guys picked up on this and show some fantastic home-brew work.

The black centers only need to be scuffed and cleaned...and take nicely to Rustoleum #7777 Satin black....or the Wurth equivalent. Black electricians tape allows a nice curve fit around circular sections that need masking.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Hi there KJ ... was nice running the mountains with you .... glad you made it back from Okturbofest with no drama and welcome to PP.

You can refinish the wheels by hand but it is a tough job. Here are a couple of threads.

Scotch Brite on polished fuchs results...

Fuchs Project! (Many pictures)

There are probably a lot of threads on here that cover different people doing their own wheel refinishing. Do a few searches mixing up different seach terms and you will soon be a PhD in Fuchs refinishing. But remember ... this is teh Intarwebz ... not all the information is good information.

The search function on PP is not intuitive but here is a tip .... when searching for this topic build your search string something like this .... fuchs and refinish and blah blah blah. The and is important for making sure you get responses with ALL your search conditions not just one or the other.

There is a guy out your way ....

Al Reed Specialty Polishing
3010 E. Coronado #A
Anaheim, CA 92806
714 632-3907

Highly respected in your geography for Fuchs refinishing. Give him a call and he can give you a cost estimate and/or tell you what you are up against.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 10-26-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
All I am trying to do is fill the void from the fender well to the tire,so I guess spacers are the way to go much cheeper and no tire problems..
Any thoughts

Much Respect
Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: