Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tach runs backward

Guys,

I have a weird situation and I need some suggestions or opinions. Yesterday morning when I cranked my car up the tach shot over to the red line and was "operating backward". Just the tach itself not the actual engine operation, that was normal. Red line at idle and as I increased engine speed it would go down in RPMs, essentially running backward. Engine ran and runs fine. it did this for about 2 or 3 minutes then just reversed itself and functioned fine the remaining time while it was in use. The next time I started the car the same thing, then reverses itself after a minute or so and is fine until shutdown, but every time I start it fresh it does this now. Nothing has changed, no work done to the car prior, this just came outta nowhere. What the hell is this all about? I'm guess the tach itself is going bad or a sender somewhere???? Guys give me some knowledge here cause I got nothin!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
sounds kind of cool.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
You may want pull the Tach , check the connectors for looseness , maybe crack her open and check the solders for a good contact, use a Big Magnifying glass.

If cracks are found, re-flow them.

Clean all contacts while you are in there. GO to Home Depot and get a wire label pack to keep all wires in order.

I suspect over time our babies solder do weaken and crack causing non-continuity, just had to re-flow my fuel guage.

just my 2 cents.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 11-20-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like you have a jumpy tach which seems to be related to the VR or Alt. I am currently working out the same issue and while I am currently sorting an iginition problem... I did some research on this here... try searching "Jumping tach" to see the other threads. You'll read about checking the voltage across the battery while the tach is jumping and you'll probably find that your volts fluctuate with the jumping. Good luck!
PO: 11 Raptor SCREW, 11 GTI 6sp mt, 01 Audi S4 Avanti, 95 Volvo 855 T5R, 82 911SC
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input but the tach isn'r jumping it just reverses itself. No other gauges are affected and after a small period of time reverses again to run properly. If it were the alternator it would continue the symptoms sporatically while the alternator was fluctuating so I think I may have a different issue.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Owens View Post
Thanks for the input but the tach isn'r jumping it just reverses itself. No other gauges are affected and after a small period of time reverses again to run properly. If it were the alternator it would continue the symptoms sporatically while the alternator was fluctuating so I think I may have a different issue.
Dan,

If all of the above do not resolve your tach anomaly,
this might be the issue.

Your VR may have an intermittent issue (diodes).

Good luck,

Gerry

In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."

Last edited by 86 911 Targa; 11-21-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vinyl pimp

Garage
A multimeter will confirm overcharging. Anything over 14v at 2500 rpms is a bad thing.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: