Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Detached wire - not sure where it goes

Hi folks,

I was working on my foglight wiring and removed the blower in the luggage compartment. The good news is that I fixed the foglight problem however there is a dangling wire in the general area and I'm not sure where it goes.

There are two Green/White wires and one Black wire. The 3 wires come together to a single point. I'm waiting for my Bentley service manual to arrive and have been referencing a pdf that I found online. The wiring diagram I have does not show any similar wires in this general area (as far as I can tell).

Can anyone tell me where these wires go?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohho View Post
Hi folks,

I was working on my foglight wiring and removed the blower in the luggage compartment. The good news is that I fixed the foglight problem however there is a dangling wire in the general area and I'm not sure where it goes.

There are two Green/White wires and one Black wire. The 3 wires come together to a single point. I'm waiting for my Bentley service manual to arrive and have been referencing a pdf that I found online. The wiring diagram I have does not show any similar wires in this general area (as far as I can tell).

Can anyone tell me where these wires go?

Thanks!
Hope this helps:

Manuals - Porsche

Good luck,

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reiver

Flux capacitor
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
They supply the inverse reactive current for use in the unilateral phase detractors. The wires should trace back to your cardinal grameters, that is of course if your car had that option (available from Rockwell automotive)....

Regards
Dave
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Are you sure it's "stock" wiring. The white with a green tracer looks kind of aftermarket?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
Encabulator Transmission - YouTube
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
Lol - thanks James, you saved me from looking all that stuf up
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Those are the wires for the heated sideview mirrors. One goes to drivers, the other to passenger's side. The black wire goes back to the rear defroster relay at the engine compartment fuse box. This is not a fused circuit....I know b/c I had a short in one of my mirror heaters that resulted in smoke coming out of my dash. It melted the wire to the passenger mirror (one of the green/white ones). I just leave it unplugged now...don't drive the P-car in winter anyhow and not sure how much of the wire burned inside the conduit. I separated the black wire (piggybacked here) and then reconnected just the black wire to the switch terminal.

Wonder if someone disconnected it for a reason on your car....

It goes on the defroster switch at the terminal marked "1".

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-03-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui44 View Post
Are you sure it's "stock" wiring. The white with a green tracer looks kind of aftermarket?
I'm not 100% sure but the wiring looks original. It uses the same crimps as the other stock wiring.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
Those are the wires for the heated sideview mirrors. One goes to drivers, the other to passenger's side. The black wire goes back to the rear defroster relay at the engine compartment fuse box. This is not a fused circuit....I know b/c I had a short in one of my mirror heaters that resulted in smoke coming out of my dash. It melted the wire to the passenger mirror (one of the green/white ones). I just leave it unplugged now...don't drive the P-car in winter anyhow and not sure how much of the wire burned inside the conduit. I separated the black wire (piggybacked here) and then reconnected just the black wire to the switch terminal.

Wonder if someone disconnected it for a reason on your car....

It goes on the defroster switch at the terminal marked "1".
Thanks Nick - I'll try that out. The wire most likely popped off when I was pulling the blower motor out.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 911 Targa View Post
Hope this helps:

Manuals - Porsche

Good luck,

Gerry
Thanks Gerry - I've tried to download the pdf file from this site a number of times. The file downloads then I get some sort of error message and the file is gone.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: