Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
uneven trottle response?

Took my 86 3.2 cab out today and noticed that it has developed some noticeable flat spots (for lack of a better term) in the power delivery vs throttle position. If i hammer down it runs up perfect and does not lack power. Under light loads or slow accel it can be very uneven and at times, even feels a little jerky. Up over 4k it seems to go away entirely? as you bring it up through the revs at lets say 1/3 power it accelerates very unevenly and again almost seems to hit a flat spot in power untill you give it a bit more and shell smooth right out? I guess another way to describe it would be that at times the throttle does not feel directly connected to what the engine is putting out in power. It is the first year with the Motronic so I was thinking maybe they had issues. I know im ready for a valve adjust but i don't think thats related.
Injectors?
dme?
timing?
Just bad gas?
Hoping someone else has had this exact problem and can get me dialed in on the fix.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Sounds lean. A worn AFM will act this way.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Weekend Mechanic

Here's one more thing to consider. It could also be the that your Air Fuel Meter has developed some dead spots in the track that the wiper slides over. This matches well with your description of proper throttle response when hammering the throttle, but noticeable dead spots when slowly accelerating.

Here's a line to a well known walk through on fixing the problem. The best part is it requires spending nothing but your time. Air Flow Meter (AFM) - from "The 944 Motronic DME" by FR Wilk* 2001 www.the944.com

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: