Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Dumb Error on throttle linkage

Well in modding out my engine the linkage rod from my throttle to the rod that goes to the assembly next to my tranny became undone. In fooling with it I think i screwed the whole assembly up (did not connect it correctly) because now when I push the gas pedal down it stays down and does not spring back. Also from the motor side, when I manually move the throttle and spring, the gas pedal does not move.

Everything was working before the rod that goes from the throttle thru the firewall and then links up near the tranny became disconnected. Does anyone have a pictures of how the throttle body linkage is all connected, along with how the throttle body with spring is supposed to look and correctly connected.

There is something I did wrong in hooking the rod and everything up because like I said everything was working fine before. I just need to see pictures of how everythjing is supposed to look like connected correctly.

And yes, I posted this after doing a search on the forums for an hour and I did get some info

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

what year car? does it have carburators?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
GIno:

Thanks for giving me the heads up.

I forgot to put that it is a 1987 Carrera
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

don't have first hand knowledge on a 3.2
here's a pict I found after a quick search.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Gino:

But that is what is confusing me. In the above picture the linkage is connected to the V pointing up wards. That is the space forming the V is facing up. But in other threads I researched people said the V opening should be facing downwards or to the sidelike in this picture
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Just went out and took a few pics for you,hope it helps !

Cheers !
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat077 View Post
Just went out and took a few pics for you,hope it helps !

Cheers !
Phil

Wildcat:

Thanks so much for going thru all of that trouble. So that gives me an idea of how the throttle body (engine part is supposed to look.

What is really throwing me is how does the connection of the rod down by the trnny supposed to look. Is my V arm supposed to be pointing up or down. Here is a picture I found of the connection near the tranny. IS this the correct positioning of the Vshaped lever

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads13/ACC1215403217.jpg

One last question: How many springs are there supposed to be on the throttle body assembly. I only had one when I put things back together, Am i supposed to have two springs

Last edited by Srwilliams; 04-28-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
This must be your lucky day ... lol ... my car is on stands in the garage so i took a few more pics for you !The curved part of the lower linkage goes over the axle and into the engine bay.
The extra spring you see at the gearbox linkage is my home made "no more hanging throttle" fix ... works very well

Here you go !

Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Wildcat:

You are a life saver. Those pictures are exactly what I needed.

My last question goes to the engine bay where the actual throttle body is. On that assembly how many springs do you have on the throttle body itself. DO you have one or two springs (don't count the one by your tranny)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat077 View Post
... The extra spring you see at the gearbox linkage is my home made "no more hanging throttle" fix ... works very well ...
Is that from CDN Tire??

I might do that when the engine go back in... next week-end

If it is a CDN Tire on, send me the SKU

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
Wildcat:

My last question goes to the engine bay where the actual throttle body is. On that assembly how many springs do you have on the throttle body itself. DO you have one or two springs (don't count the one by your tranny)
There is only one spring on the throttle body,although at one point i had added a second one when i was chasing down my hanging throttle issue !

JJ,so you like my fix
I think i picked up the spring at Rona in the hardware section !
Actually CDN Tire has a good selection in the lawnmower/tractor section as well ...
It doesn't need a lot of tension,just enough to snap the throttle pedal back !

Cheers !
Phil

Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Oui, quel moteur... 3.?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Northern Motorhead

Garage
JJ,

I will remove the 3.6 evidence in my signature for now as my track gang doesn't know about it yet ... i want to see the look on Matt's face when i run down his 993 between Carroussel and turn 10 at LCMT

I'm going to email you some pics tonight !

Cheers
Phil

Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Tabarnacle, I hope they don't read this...

Could delete the post

Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Wildcat:

Thanks for the followup on the spring matter. Based on everything you sent me I should be able to now troubleshoot my problem.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
Quote:
Wildcat:

On a 3.2 there is a second throttle return spring on the underside of the intake. Spring runs from bracket at back(front) of the engine to a hole cast in the bottom of the left side intake. Sorry, I don't have photos handy. -J

ETA link with lots of photos. 3.2 throttle return spring differences

Last edited by JAR0023; 04-28-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR0023 View Post
On a 3.2 there is a second throttle return spring on the underside of the intake. Spring runs from bracket at back(front) of the engine to a hole cast in the bottom of the left side intake. Sorry, I don't have photos handy. -J

ETA link with lots of photos. 3.2 throttle return spring differences
Jar0002:

Okay I went to the cite that you posted and I could clearly see the two springs. But where do they hook to. I see where you wrote "Spring runs from bracket at back(front) of the engine to a hole cast in the bottom of the left side intake."

From the pictures you referenced it appears that there are two bottom springs + the top spring making a total of three springs. So, now I am really confused and lost.

I have 3.2 liter engince, 87 Carerra. Could you really help me out on this spring thing because I am not getting any action on my pedal

Last edited by Srwilliams; 04-28-2013 at 06:56 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Go-Kart Mozart

Garage
On my 86 I have two springs total. One on the throttle body and one underneath the intake. I had no idea some cars had two under the intake until I searched and found that thread. My spring under the intake is similar as the left/outboard one pictured in the linked thread. I'm on an I-pad so I'm not even gonna try and paste in photos.

The spring connects to the linkage on the back of the engine. It's hooked to the rod that runs from the side of the trans up through the engine tin. My visualization is that it pulls on the rod when you release the accelerator pedal. It's tough to see with the engine all together and installed. If yours was set up this way and the spring broke you'd never see that unless you knew to look.

I recently replaced intake gaskets and it was fun getting that spring re-installed. With the auxiliary blower and tubing removed you have better access. I still had to resort to a seal puller(hook) and pliers to re-install.

-J
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Porboynz
Quote:
Well in modding out my engine the linkage rod from my throttle to the rod that goes to the assembly next to my tranny became undone. In fooling with it I think i screwed the whole assembly up (did not connect it correctly) because now when I push the gas pedal down it stays down and does not spring back. Also from the motor side, when I manually move the throttle and spring, the gas pedal does not move.

Everything was working before the rod that goes from the throttle thru the firewall and then links up near the tranny became disconnected. Does anyone have a pictures of how the throttle body linkage is all connected, along with how the throttle body with spring is supposed to look and correctly connected.

There is something I did wrong in hooking the rod and everything up because like I said everything was working fine before. I just need to see pictures of how everythjing is supposed to look like connected correctly.

And yes, I posted this after doing a search on the forums for an hour and I did get some info

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Does the throttle rod move with the pedal at the point that it exits the tunnel through the bulkhead? There is a connector just inside the rubber boot from memory

***If only I didn't know now what I didn't know then***
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porboynz View Post
Does the throttle rod move with the pedal at the point that it exits the tunnel through the bulkhead? There is a connector just inside the rubber boot from memory

Porboynz

Yes it does move. When I push the rod it moves the pedal and vice versa
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: