Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Evolution of a Carrera RST

Like many of you, I always dreamed about building an early Carrera RS type hot rod from the ground up. After I crashed my modified '86 Carrera at the track in 2009, my dream became a reality although I had to wait a couple of years to successfully sue my insurer.
Before....

After crash at Mosport...

I was able to keep the wreck so I had to modify my plans and opt to use as much of the useable parts into the project which included the 3.4 turbo motor instead of my original intention which was to build a small displacement high revving motor. Hence, the Evolution of an RST-a Real Sweet Turbo.
I was able to buy from a fellow PCA member and Pelican a great '78 SC tub with doors and with proper registration in the U.S. which I brought back to Canada.
Chassis arrival...

I also found a barn find forty year old long hood with the original Porsche primer on it and really good early from fenders. Front and rear bumpers and duck tail deck lid were purchased from GT Racing.
After cleaning up the tub, I trial fitted all body parts.

I documented all required body mods and repairs by writing on the tub with a felt pen and then took pics of my notes and put everything in a binder for later reference.

I'll continue tomorrow.
So far not very exiting....
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Can't wait to see more!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
im all kinds of subscribed...and looking forward to more pictures of this project
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I can't wait to see this evolve.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm hooked. What happened on the track? You were okay? FUBAR car for sure.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Good start......
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I might as well tell you how I lost "Revenge" on the track. DE day at Mosport, nice and dry, in the Red group-I had backed off to let some cars catch up to play again. I'm into corner four, something lets go in the right rear and I go into a loverly pirouette into the outside wall-all corners of the car get hit followed by a sideways slide across grass and then hitting some river rock that had been layed down to prevent washouts. Once the car hit the river rock it did a 2 1/2 barrel roll with yours truly in it. Turned off the ignition and fuel pump but something is still hissing, a bit of panic sets in, ripped my helmet off and crawled out of the window-do you know how hard it is to get your seatbelt off while hanging upside? not a scratch save for my face which I grazed when I took my helmet off without undoing the strap.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Uwon -

Looks great, glad to see you have a thread started.

Can't wait for the RST to rumble through Hershey 2014! !

Rich
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I disagree. Very exciting. I sense a happy ending.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
why did you have to sue your insurer?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Likely because he cruched at a Driver's Ed event....
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Insurer-what else was I doing on a racetrack but racing. Superior Court and Court of Appeal disagreed.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
I think a lot of people would like the case number and names of the parties for that Court of Appeals decision.

Being able to cite that case could help others who are learning to drive their cars at a DE.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Looking forward to following your progress Johan! Any pics of the 3.4? Specs?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That's Awesome baby

Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
RWebb, this is a precedent setting Canadian legal case. You in the U.S. have several similar cases to draw from. In preparing our suit, PCA National executive did provide me with relevant U.S. experience and is certainly well aware of my case.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I wonder if this case will lead to policy exclusions (if we hear you have ever been on a track then any claim will be void)?

I also wonder if the insurance company knew that they were taking this level of risk, or if they were just trying to duck a legitimate claim?

I'm almost hesitant to give this topic much airplay in case the insurance companies come across it and interpret it as a reason to give those of us in Ontario and even more difficult time insuring our hobby cars than we already are being given.

Having been through this with the courts and your insurance company what are your thoughts?

P.S.
Great looking project, I'll be following
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html

Last edited by wayner; 05-08-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Wayner, increased level of risk in a DE event is unproven, only perceived by some insurers and the general public. Racing is specifically defined in the English language which our common law legal system interprets narrowly. Changes in coverage will continue to evolve over time and there will continue to be a tug of war between the insurance companies, the superintendent of insurance, the government of the day, the courts and the public. I have some faith that the insurers will be kept at bay. I'm going to leave it at that and get back to the real subject of this thread.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Back to the RST.
Let me preamble by explaining that the RST is not intended to be replica or tribute car. So purists will be really disappointed. So here goes......
I did not want to cut out and replace the front trunk latch support panel with the early long hood version so I grafted a short hood larch base frame to the long hood.
I unfortunately do not have a “before” and “during” set of pics as I was very unsure that I had the skills to do this. Patience helped.
Initial cardboard mock-up.....

Once I cut the front potion of the frame from the old damaged short hood I slowly started to fit it onto the long hood by grinding, cutting and bending. Once I thought that I had things right I screwed the grafting frame to the long hood and then installed it on the car. I then worked from underneath through the tank cavity to smooth out and align the grafting potion. I left the final welding and finishing to the pros.
So this is how it ended up:

The long hood safety latch will have an extension to the side of the hood. I think the TRE has some picks on their web site.
Next-off to the body shop pros.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

That's fantastic work!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: