Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Window issues -- variable speeds

'86 911 Sunroof coupe

My passenger window switch seems to be malfunctioning. When depressed, it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and sometimes does but slowly. This occurs when rolling the window both up and down. If I depress the switch and try again it typically fluctuates between one of the three possible outcomes.

The driver's side switch gets the right result every time.

Because the driver's side switch works for the passenger window I think it's safe to assume that the motor isn't faulty. This leads me to believe that the faulty piece is the window switch. Is there anything else I should try to rule out before I purchase a new switch?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you swapped the switches and it worked then you indeed have a faulty switch. Probably corroded contacts.

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
+1 with DOCRO. The good news is you probably don't have to dig into the door IM!

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '77 Copper 924. '73 Black 914. '74 White Carrera. '79 Silver/Black/Anthracite 930s.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_asl View Post
The driver's side switch gets the right result every time.
I am with these guys. Switch.

Just for fun, does the passenger window, when opened by the driver's switch go up and down at the same speed the driver's window goes up and down?

If not, it may be a good idea to lube the gear mechanisms inside. Plus, messing with the switch is easier with the door panel off. It can be done though, with the panel on. There is a rubber cup that acts as a gasket that can be a pain to get in but do-able.

Get your reading glasses on and find the terminal numbers on the switch. Note the wire colors to each or clean/wiggle them one at a time.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
electric , window