Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

911 Engine Management Kit

Hi All,

For the forum members who don't know me, I'm Andrew Darud and live in Long Beach, CA. Automotive has always been my passion, including working as a Powertrain Engineer at an automotive OEM by day. I've been a long time Porsche fanatic and now want to give something back to our great community.

We've all experienced the cons of our beloved CIS system and old style ignition (cold/hot start problems, injector clogging, lack of adjustability, availability of parts, etc). I developed a modern engine management system intended to be plug and play for our air cooled 911's. With a small adapter installed on a stock distributor the system provides cam and crank signals to an AEM Infinity ECU. It has sequential fuel injection and coil on plug ignition that adapts very easily to our cars. I provide injector bungs, fuel rails and lines, required air/pressure/temp sensors, all connected through a beautifully made harness. The kit also includes a wideband O2 sensor that allows closed loop fuel control. All this really transforms our engines into a modern machine.

With the addition of this system the car's driveability was drastically improved. No more cold start problems or sluggish behavior until warm. I have dyno data from my baseline CIS engine compared to after install (shown below). By simply installing the kit I experienced a torque increase from 153 lbf to 167 lbf as well drastically improved driveability!

Whether you want reliability, driveability, performance, or adjustability this is the kit for your classic 911. Below are some photos of my setup and the system I offer our community. If you're interested, please email me for information and pricing details.

Engine control unit

Option to remove factory intake system

Performance gain summary

This kit has the option to be updated to any feature list you can dream of (drive by wire, traction control, dual wideband control, thermocouples inputs, etc). I'm eager to help support your build and give knowledgeable feedback. Please contact me via PM or email for more information, or to discuss a customized option.

12/11/2015 Update:
Thanks to everyone for the interest and support! The kits have started going out the door and we have introductory pricing extended through the rest of the year. Please contact me by email for a quote for your vehicle.

Below are a couple of updated photos since the initial launch. The ECU bracket has been upgraded from the original photos, and the system is now running a set of PMO's! The ITB setup has made significant improvements in throttle response and the sound is AMAZING! The Rasant Engine Management Kit with ITB's has completely transformed this otherwise stock 2.7L. I'm working on the final tuning and will post dyno results as soon as they're available.

Best regards,
Andrew Darud
Andrew@rasantproducts.com

Last edited by darud35; 12-11-2015 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Actual demonstration.........

Andrew,

Do you have an actual demonstration of the capability of your new product? For example, could we see and look at the engine at given time and place for demo? Is there any active members of this forum that has seen or driven this car? Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Looks great!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice clean look.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
Looks great. Im about to redo my entire CIS and this looks like a good upgrade. Wish I knew how to get around the smog visual inspection (83 SC).
Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Tony, great idea about doing a demonstration. Perhaps I can showcase the product at the next Pelican cars and coffee? I realize you're in PA, but at least others could provide their feedback.

2jmotorsports, I feel your pain. I had plans for engine modifications so I searched for a while to find a pre-76 car.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

How confident are you that using the distributor for crank timing will be accurate?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
West Coast home base........

Quote:
Originally Posted by darud35 View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Tony, great idea about doing a demonstration. Perhaps I can showcase the product at the next Pelican cars and coffee? I realize you're in PA, but at least others could provide their feedback.

2jmotorsports, I feel your pain. I had plans for engine modifications so I searched for a while to find a pre-76 car.

Andrew,

This is my 4th week in Monterey, CA and going back home in a few days. I come and visit CA regularly so I am not far away. It would be nice if you would have a public demonstration to launch your new product. People like to see things they buy have some sort of proven demonstration or success. Aside for the X amount of money to purchase the complete kit what computer skill and paraphernalia are needed to tune up it up? I am computer challenged but have ample mechanical talent. Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

IXjamesXI, fair question. This system is no less accurate than the stock dizzy. I understand there's some lash on the dizzy drive gear, and you can get better resolution from a trigger wheel on the crank. However, I would argue that the required effort to do so isn't going to pay off with our relatively low engine speed and accuracy of modern optical sensors. Using the existing drive gear on the dizzy allows a simple plug and play system using the factory engine speed pickup.

Tony, agreed! I appreciate the feedback. There is some computer use required in order to setup the ignition timing. I will provide detailed install/calibration details with the kit, and am always available by phone or email. Mechanically the only work that may not be doable for all home mechanics is welding in an O2 bung in the exhaust (this is only for earlier cars that didn't come with an O2 sensor). This is true with all engine management systems, but to fine tune the controller to your components it's always best to schedule some time on the dyno if you're not comfortable tuning.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

CARB compliant in California?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry patz, no CARB Executive Order (EO) for this product. Being offered as "off-road only" for those living where emissions standards are regulated.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quick questions:
1) Electrical plug going into the right side fuel rail?
2) Tech AFX fuel lines (they kinda look like them)?
3) Oil tank breather?
4) Care to show us what's inside the dizzy (I understand if it's a trade secret, but maybe some description)?
5) Why go that far and not replace the fuel filter with something modern? I like the AN fittings, but don't make us adapt it to the ancient Porsche fuel lines!

Edit: Maybe make the dizzy adapter available separately, for those of us that have a full Bitz EFI system already, but want a upgraded ignition controller, without going EDIS or something?

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!

Last edited by Pazuzu; 10-07-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I'm interested in that dizzy adaptor
Ducati 748R
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Andrew...........as someone that has been down the path of implementing modern fuel and ignition management to older 911s...............congratulations on what appears to be a well thought out and professional kit.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 10-07-2015, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think the addition of fully programmable ignition timing is really nice feature for the CIS cars.
Did you create complete part throttle ignition tables also?
Nice Job!
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What strategy is used to meter fuel? looks like TPS is used what about MAP?
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I see map, iat, and tps. That's all you need. Looks like a nice setup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Ducati 748R
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Just add lightness...

Garage
Andrew
I see you kept the fuel accum, any reason ?
Not very usual with Efi, methinks.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Man I wish you were 1 year earlier to market!

I think you are hitting the sweet spot in the market. On one end is DIY engine management. Cheaper but has a big learning curve. The other end is major $$$ where the cost-to-value ratio is out of the range of most people.

If this is pretty turn key at the right price point then you've nailed it. Kudos!

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice looking set up. I've toyed with the thought of adapting a Motronic, but got scared off by the programming (or lack of) side of it. I'd be interested in how one tunes your system, and if a only moderately competent Mac user like me could do it.
-C

Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: