Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sal Carceller's chip and injector system for 3.2

Hi guys,
I have started the process of installing Sal's chip and injector kit.
See his post for details:

New Product: Performance Chip with Matched Injectors for 3.2L Carrera

My car is a rebuilt 3.2 with 964 cams, 10.3 JE pistols, SSI's, a Dansk sport muffler and it came with a Steve Wong chip. The injectors and AFM have been rebuilt as well. The car drives reasonably well, but has some part throttle drivability issues.

The reason I say process is because Sal provides incredible service. I began by asking a few questions, exchanging some PM's and then we spoke on the phone. Sal is obviously an enthusiast in every sense of the word. I learned a great deal from our discussions and I ended up sending him my DME (fuel injection brain). He begins by analyzing my DME and bringing it up to spec of the 1989 model, the best factory chip for the 3.2. That involves any repairs, and installing a 28 pin chip socket and the 28 pin 89 factory chip. He advised installing a wide band O2 sensor so we can tune the car. I bought the AEM model and will be putting it in soon. Interestingly, I found that my DME was taken apart and put into a BMW case. Sal provided a 911 case and repaired a few damaged components on my unit. He had me check my fuel pressure and TPS function.
I have to tell you that Sal is an incredible resource for the 911 crowd. His knowledge and experience is exceptional, and his enthusiasm and commitment to service are also second to none. I will post pictures as I go through the install process, but I feel like I am in the hands of a real expert.
Thanks for reading,
Dave

2001 996TT

Last edited by DaveMcKenz; 11-05-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Old 11-04-2015, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Dave,

I'll be following your progress. I also have an 84. The only "performance upgrade" is a backdated exhaust installed by the PO. I have been thinking about getting a SW chip for it and I'll be curious to hear what you think of this more expensive system and if you find it worthwhile.

Mike
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Mike,
I had a Steve Wong chip on my car. It works fine. It came with the car. I have a receipt for it and it costs $675. It is custom designed for my car's configuration.
Sal's system is $800. It comes with a custom designed chip and 6 modern fuel injectors. To me that sounds like a bargain.
Only time will tell, but I am looking forward to testing his work.
Thanks,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 11-04-2015, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I too have taken the plunge, but have gone with Sal's full system which includes MAF, replacement DME with custom chip, 6 injectors and K&N style air filter. Like Dave, the experience of dealing with Sal is a fantastic learning experience. He starts out by getting you to perform a checklist of validating the existing components are in good working order, and then getting a good baseline with the WBO2 sensor before begin the install of new components. I am currently installing the AEM WBO2 unit, and expect to have my package from Sal within the next week. I will keep everyone updated on my progress, and provide my assessment as to the results of this package.

Regards,
David
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am not even a customer and he has helped me a ton. I might just be before long. The chip/injectors does seem like a steal, but the MAF seems like the total package. Decisions, decisions.
2016 Ford Focus RS
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars Ruined My Life

Sub'ed. Part of my winter project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Dave, I suggest you post your full engine specs so others know.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 11-05-2015, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding_serpent View Post
I am not even a customer and he has helped me a ton. I might just be before long. The chip/injectors does seem like a steal, but the MAF seems like the total package. Decisions, decisions.
x2 this looks like a much more complete package than the SW chip.
nothing against the SW chip, i have one currently, but this certainly looks worthwhile.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Terrific thread.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarceller View Post
Dave, I suggest you post your full engine specs so others know.
My car is a rebuilt 3.2 with 964 cams, 10.3 JE pistons, SSI's, a Dansk sport muffler, and it came with a Steve Wong chip. My injectors and AFM were recently rebuilt. The car runs pretty well but has some part throttle drivability issues.
Thanks
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 11-05-2015, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
What intrigues me on this setup is precision. The maf is a more precise air metering device, and the modern style injectors will have a more ideal spray pattern, and will be fresh. Thus, it will be easier to get ideal afr's, and keep them ideal.

As mich as i have convinced myself that i did not need it in the past, such precision i feel will benefit from extrude honing the intakes to minimize flow variability. With lower intake needs it is less of an issue, but I am shooting for 275hp, and i think the benefits will be there as the limits of the system are pushed.
2016 Ford Focus RS

Last edited by gliding_serpent; 11-05-2015 at 07:28 AM..
Old 11-05-2015, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
My MAF air filters are S&B filters with power stack, they are very different than a K&N in design and quality. And they are far cheaper than K&N. They are custom matched to the MAF and have been flow benched as a single unit with MAF and Filter working together. Changing a filter alters air flow results on the flow bench, this system was designed correctly, it was not just thrown together from a bunch of parts. I took great care in picking the components for both the air and fuel models. I also only use fully speced injectors that come with complete specs. Here's an example of a complete injector spec, all this data goes into the program code!
https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/ics/m-9593-LU34A.pdf
This is NOT the injector in my normal kits, but it is a injector I've used. It gives you a good idea of what injector data is and how much data goes into modeling just an injector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
I too have taken the plunge, but have gone with Sal's full system which includes MAF, replacement DME with custom chip, 6 injectors and K&N style air filter. Like Dave, the experience of dealing with Sal is a fantastic learning experience. He starts out by getting you to perform a checklist of validating the existing components are in good working order, and then getting a good baseline with the WBO2 sensor before begin the install of new components. I am currently installing the AEM WBO2 unit, and expect to have my package from Sal within the next week. I will keep everyone updated on my progress, and provide my assessment as to the results of this package.

Regards,
David
1964 356SC (SOLD)
Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sal is Great!

My '87 died last fall and Sal helped me diagnose a bad DME. I sent it off to him and he discovered a number of cracked solder points and even a bad board. I believe he rebuild my DME using another board and upgraded the chip to a 28 pin and '89 parameters. The car has run flawlessly ever since.
'18 MKC '13 Escape
'08 A3 3.2
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Peter,

I do remember you, glad it's running well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBrown View Post
My '87 died last fall and Sal helped me diagnose a bad DME. I sent it off to him and he discovered a number of cracked solder points and even a bad board. I believe he rebuild my DME using another board and upgraded the chip to a 28 pin and '89 parameters. The car has run flawlessly ever since.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Sal,

My '77 3.2 resto-mod should be taking on its power plant sometime this winter. Your set-up is on the list of goodies (budget allowing). Let me know if you want to get out of the cold and come to the Carolinas for a couple days. You can make it a "business trip". : )
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I've installed a Steve Wong chip and a K&N filter (both easy even for me), but how difficult is it to install the new fuel injectors?

My next performance upgrade on schedule is actually 3.4 pistons and a new exhaust (not to be done by me). Would the new pistons make it incompatible with your system, Sal?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
It's not that difficult to install injectors. I have a document that explains howto install them, I change 6 injectors in about 30 minutes or less.

If you up displacement to 3.4L you really need my MAF, here's 2 customers with 3.4L and my MAF, one single plug the other twin plug.
1985 3.4 build using MAF 279.56 HP, 237.63 RWHP
My '87 3.4 with MAF project

The pooder build is a single plug 3.4L with fantastic results for the money.
The twin plug did very well with tons of low end torque, this one is getting some wild cams this Winter using my MAF.
Both those engines are not customer DIY projects, these were both done by very reputable engine builders and they worked closely with me to install and tune the MAF.

You can also keep the AFM with the 3.4L but it starts to become an issue at very high rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstallo View Post
I've installed a Steve Wong chip and a K&N filter (both easy even for me), but how difficult is it to install the new fuel injectors?

My next performance upgrade on schedule is actually 3.4 pistons and a new exhaust (not to be done by me). Would the new pistons make it incompatible with your system, Sal?
1964 356SC (SOLD)

Last edited by scarceller; 11-06-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hi guys,
I received my refurbished DME from Sal today. My old one was in a BMW case, and had a few missing parts.

He installs a 28 pin chip socket, and a factory 89 chip. I reset my idle speed to 880 RPM, and it is now very smooth, with just the DME changes so far. I couldn't resist taking it for a quick spin, and I noticed the parking lot jerk is completely gone. It was there before with the old DME configuration including the SW chip.
My next jobs are to finish my fuel pressure testing, then install the WB O2 sensor and do some AFR testing. I think I can get that done on Monday or so.
Thanks for watching.
Dave
2001 996TT

Last edited by DaveMcKenz; 11-07-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-07-2015, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Someone really messed with that DME, they put the boards into a BMW case (not sure why?) and then they left off the 4 large aluminum standoffs and the 4 large screws that hold the lower board to the lower tin. This was not a good idea as those 4 screws and the standoffs are part of the heat sink for the large transistors! I had to replace the case and a few screws and standoffs but it's now a 89 spec DME! Other than that it was in decent shape with no visible solder issues on this DME. I still remove and re-solder the typical problematic areas.

Enjoy.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hi guys,
I have out of town visitors this weekend, but they went out for a while, so I took the time to begin the install of my AEM WBO2 system. I began by installing the sensor itself. My SSI's were already provided with a sensor port of the DS pipe. The somewhat challenging task was pulling the wires from inside the cabin to the area below the engine. As per Sal's suggestion, I used the main wiring harness grommet and gradually stretched it enough that I could pass the small connector at the gauge end of the cable. So the cable is connected and installed at the engine end, and I just need to do the cleaner part of installing the gauge itself in the center console.
I'm back to cooking for company, but hope to get some AFR data tomorrow when I finish the install.
Thanks,
Dave

2001 996TT
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: