Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone tried the Jwest Precision Shift Coupler?

The shifting is very meh in my 85. Going to throw Jwest's Rennshift in there as I'm pleased with it in the 79. Saw the aftermarket coupler on their site and wanted to know more.

911 Precision Shift Coupler - JWest Engineering

Anyone had any experience with this? Or am better served ordering new factory coupler bushings and having them replaced on the OEM unit. Apparently you don't have to fool with bushings anymore and the part is good for the life of the car supposedly.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I just installed one when I put a Rennshift in my SC. Nothing to compare it to, but looks well made/low maintenance and installed easily. Between it, the Rennshift and a new shift rod bushing my shifting is pretty well sorted.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick View Post
I just installed one when I put a Rennshift in my SC. Nothing to compare it to, but looks well made/low maintenance and installed easily. Between it, the Rennshift and a new shift rod bushing my shifting is pretty well sorted.
Seems to make sense as you dont have to fool with the factory coupler bushings anymore. Plus you're either going to have to spend the time to change the factory ones yourself or pay someone to do it (as in my case) so tbis seems logical.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
CPT KAOS

Garage
I did it as part of the complete package in my 80. Works awesome
Erik- RGruppe #743
Sports Purpose Garage
CPTKAOS 313HP/265TQ(wheels)2150#
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Racer

I just installed new Delrin bushings in the Factory coupler in my race car and see no compelling reason to spend $200 on the Stomski, Wevo, or JWest precision shift couplers. I have the JWest Rennshift in my race car.

With the new Delrin coupler bushings there is no forward, backward, or side to side free play. Any movement in the tunnel shift rod is directly transferred to the 915 shift rod. I also installed new Delrin ball cup and tunnel shift rod bushings. Those two parts in my race car were cracked and contributed to a lot of slop.

I can't believe how precise the Rennshift functions now compared to before I replaced all the bushings. I was having problems shifting from 2nd into 3rd as I would sometimes get 5th. Shifting from 2nd into 1st was difficult too. With the new bushings both problems went away.

The Delrin coupler bushings should last a very long time, probably as long as you will own the car, and never develop free play. Also make sure the ball cup and tunnel shift rod bushings in your car are not warn out.
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 04-23-2016, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Racer

I should add that I was all set to get the JWest (Stomski) coupler but decided to try the inexpensive fix to see how well that would work. I am not at all adverse to spending money on my race car to improve it. Especially on something as critical as shifting accuracy. But, I only spend money that is necessary. I had several race car builders tell me that Delrin coupler bushings made the stock coupler just as good as and last as long as the Stomski or Wevo couplers.

I am quite happy that I did not waste almost $200!
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 04-23-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
I should add that I was all set to get the JWest (Stomski) coupler but decided to try the inexpensive fix to see how well that would work. I am not at all adverse to spending money on my race car to improve it. Especially on something as critical as shifting accuracy. But, I only spend money that is necessary. I had several race car builders tell me that Delrin coupler bushings made the stock coupler just as good as and last as long as the Stomski or Wevo couplers.

I am quite happy that I did not waste almost $200!
Interesting. How much time and effort did it take to change the coupler bushings? Jwest implied that they don't sell a factory coupler with fresh bushings because it was too much labor.

Are the delran coupler bushings you used the same ones jwest sells on their site?

Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Replacing the bushings is not hard at all...see this thread:

Heads up to anyone replacing shifter bushings
Old 04-23-2016, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Racer

It's pretty easy if you have a vice and an appropriate size drift punch. It took me 30 minutes taking my time. I had to do some work on the bushings to get the proper fit but that was because the bushings I used weren't really designed for a generic fit. That were intended to be custom fitted.

I don't think the JWest coupler bushings are Delrin. I am pretty sure they are polygraphite which is okay but not as good as Delrin for this application. They should last a really long time too and the price is right! Nor should they require any customization to fit.

Here is a video that explains the bushing removal and install process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAD0PoC8mzo
PCA GT-3R #3
Old 04-23-2016, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

I just installed the Stomski coupler, same as the Rennshift in my '85. I am very pleased with it. The shifting feels more precise. I like it.

1985 M491
Old 04-23-2016, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
I first replaced bushings in stock coupler, which helped shifting in my 83sc, but the new bushings made the up and back shifting motion way too tight, so in my case I went with a new WEVO coupler. IMO the WEVO and Jwest couplers are so similar in how they work and quality that either one is a big upgrade. The new coupler made a huge difference, but I'd recommend making sure your motor and trans mounts are in good shape too as they play a role in shifting slop problems also. I too just installed a Rennshifter after finding s good deal on it and love that too. Tim
Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Great posts. I'm really pleased with the rennshift unit. Works so well in the race car I don't even think about shifting. Got this 85 street car and it's awful. Relatively speaking.

I'm for sure getting the rennshift with the 2" taller shift lever. Probably leave the throw in the longest setting. Seems like when you too short iwith short shifters things seem to want to bind.

At this point I'm leaning towards the package with the aftermarket coupler and be done with it. No muss no fuss.

Are you using the manual or automatic reverse lock out on the rennshift?

Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Racer

I even use the long throw setting on my Rennshift in the race car. Why? Because I tend to shift too fast for a 915 anyway so why make it worse? Plus, the throws are plenty short even at the longest throw setting.

Yes, if money isn't really an issue the precision coupler is easy enough to deal with!

I use the automatic lockout. I can't reach the shifter housing when I am all belted in tight. You never know when you might want reverse on the track.

PCA GT-3R #3
Old 04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: