Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
<insert witty title here>

Garage
New wheels - alignment needed?

I just replaced 6 and 7x16 wheels with 7 and 9x16s (both sets are fuchs) and now my steering wheel seems to be slightly to the right. Could changing wheels of the same size necessitate an alignment?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wheels alone would not change the alignment.

New tires as well?

Maybe increased grip has magnified a problem that was already there.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Functionista

Well if ride height changes so does toe in/out. A small amount that may or may not justify an alignment. Steering wheel shouldn't have changed position though.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The old tires were a 50 profile, and the new ones are 55. Does that make a difference?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Well if ride height changes so does toe in/out. A small amount that may or may not justify an alignment. Steering wheel shouldn't have changed position though.
Not if that ride height change came from a tire diameter change. Suspension arms are still in the same positions they were before.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Undocumented User

Garage
Maybe the tire installation shop took it for one hell of a joy ride? Or maybe they jacked it up all wonky and bent a suspension A arm or a steering rod. Or maybe you're just going cray cray?

Keep us updated as to who the real killer is but as others have said, it's not due to the wheels and tires unless your previous set was WAAAAY unevenly worn, but you'd have notice that; right?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would think I'd have noticed that, but the car is relatively new to me so it's possible I just didn't notice it before changing the wheels, and I was hyper sensitive to it after the change. I did the wheel change so I can say with certainty nothing was damaged. As for any hooligan driving, well....
Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
if you still have the old front wheels and tires, put'em back on and compare!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Switch the tires side to side, unless the tires are directional. I had similar situation on an Audi once and that solved the issue.
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 10-24-2016, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christien View Post
The old tires were a 50 profile, and the new ones are 55. Does that make a difference?
No

Just throwing this out there..are the tires the same size, make and model on each side for both fronts and backs. People do make mistakes when replacing

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:

Last edited by vascott01; 10-24-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just a thought but maybe your old tire may have been worn down on the inside or outside some and the new tire changed the footprint so to speak.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Functionista

Well doing alignments on regular basis I find wheel swaps of different sizes can exhibit different values.

In in any case, the OP needs to visit the alignment rack.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: