Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Help Checking CHT Sensor

I have my Bentley and I thought I knew what I was doing but after reading some past posts I may be al screwed up in trying to check my CHT sensor. Here is what i did

1. Made sure car off b/c measuring OHMs

2. Located White sensor amongst 3 sensors in engine bay.

3. When I pulled the sensor apart I have the two pronged CHT sensor. Temp outside was 59 Fahrenheit. Was not sure whether to measure the male or female side of the sensor so I did both. When I measured the female side (wire harness to car) the reading was 1.068.

3. When i measured the male sensor wire self I got 3.002.

What is confusing me is when I read this past post by one of the forum members: "Check your head temp sensor. It's the gang of three electrical connectors on the upper left of your engine, the white connector. When cold it should be around 2500-3500 ohms, when hot around 200-300 ohms."

This is where things stand. First did I do the readings correct. Second does the reading show a good or bad CHT?

Another forum member wrote in another post: "check the wire from the CHT to the DME." Is this what i did by my above testing or is this another test and if so, how?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Change the resolution on your DVM to get a better reading.

You connect both connectors with each probe for the DVM

Member was asking you to confirm if it is single or updated doubled wire
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 10-23-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-23-2016, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Change the resolution on your DVM to get a better reading
Draco:

I was certain I had the meter set for an OHM reading and not a voltage reading
Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When you get a 3.002 on your meter, you should look for a K somewhere on the display, meaning 3K or 3002 ohms. The K will be somewhere on the display, but not always in a way that you will clearly recognize it as a kilo symbol for 1000.

The male connector end is the sensor. Sounds like your sensor is good. Or should be.

Last edited by DanielDudley; 10-23-2016 at 12:41 PM..
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
Draco:

I was certain I had the meter set for an OHM reading and not a voltage reading
As Brother Daniel stated above you should have several settings for OHMS to be read out aka "resolution" but 3.002 probably means 3002K. So verify with Bentley but but it sounds like your CHTS is shot.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 10-23-2016, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
OK Fellas:

Am supposed to measuring the female side or the male side. I thought the measure was for the female side (nonsensor side). On that side I measured again and got 1.067.

If I am supposed to measuring the sensor male prongs please let me know
Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
"male" side aka sensor side only.
PCA/POC
Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
87 Carerra, 3.2 liter en

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
"male" side aka sensor side only.
thanks so much Draco.

I was measuring the wrong side when I went back and did my retest. Tomorrow I will retest the male side. But I am pretty certain the reading I got was 3.002. So to you does that mean the sensor is no good if that is the correct reading?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Detached Member

Measure cold and hot, mine checked out fine cold, but stayed at the 2,500 range when hot and it thought it was still cold and dumping rich fuel in which would stall out the engine after warming up. Fairly easy to change it out, the hardest part was getting the new rubber grommets back in the holes in the body. Took about an hour start to finish.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
thanks so much Draco.

I was measuring the wrong side when I went back and did my retest. Tomorrow I will retest the male side. But I am pretty certain the reading I got was 3.002. So to you does that mean the sensor is no good if that is the correct reading?
Post OHMs when COLD & when Hot.
PCA/POC
Old 10-23-2016, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: