Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanemaestro View Post
I don't think anyone has suggested thus far that the axles themselves might be the culprit. Did I miss that on someone's post?
yes, flat6pac suggested it as I am starting to see others do the same.

I had a bearing that was stuck in the cage on one of my CV's.
but also, if you put the CV back together wrong it can bind up and not move.

also as mentioned , if your trailing arm was bent that much you would have some real driving issues. bad toe on the rear can be way more exciting than bad toe on the front.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

a simple measurement of the outer flange to the inner flange on one side compared to the other would be the easiest test for alignment issue
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-27-2017, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Schleprock

Sorry for misinterpreting which side is the problem. My "summary" is the same except that instead of the ring gear pulling away from the pinion, it would be pushed harder against the pinion. That's still not good.

I agree with the other guys that an improperly assembled CV joint locks together and you can't make it move in/out and nor can you make it pivot. So it would seem to me that an improperly assembled CV couldn't be mounted because the the axle needs to pivot in order to allow the CV to bolt up with the trans output flange?

The fact that one wheel is sticking out and the other is pushed very far in seems like the bent trailing arm is the issue here. The wheel pictured appears to be a 16x8 (because the lug nuts are not countersunk) and usually fills out the SC fender flare quite good. On the left side the wheel is sitting quite far into the wheel well. So I think the trailing arm is sitting too far inward on that side.

Rear wheel position mystery on 911SC
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I agree that it is unlikely that a "backward" CV (locked) would get installed, though it would be possible to do it. Might line up well enough on the wheel side flange, which is attached first? If, in its locked state, you could not maneuver it over the transmission side flange, you could loosen the 8mm bolts on the transmission mount and shove the transmission over enough to get the clearance needed. I have done that on a SWB car adapted to LWB along with camber boxes. Rear tires align, but track (at the flanges) is just a hair narrow, and the end of the axle bumps into the tranny flange without this kind of fiddling.

Indeed, the first time a guy assembles a CV backward, after the panic of how to get it back apart subsides, all goes well enough - I can't imagine anyone so lacking in a feel for what should happen would just install it. You don't need to know just how a CV works (I continue to marvel at the human ingenuity which allowed Sr. Rezeppa to conceive this device)in order to realize things have to move, especially if you were the one who took the axle off in the first place, or pulled the old CV apart.

Measurement would seem to be the key to pinpointing the culprit here. Is the transmission centered laterally on the chassis? Are the two chassis attachment points - the inner banana arm attachments on the torsion tube, and the outer where the torsion bars connect to the trailing arm, where they should be, or at least symmetrical. If so then it is hard not to conclude that there is a bent trailing arm.

If, despite a bent trailing arm, the rear tires are both parallel(that is, have a slight toe in within the alignment specifications), then it should be possible to observe that the toe adjusters are set or clocked rather differently from one side to the other to compensate.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpateman View Post
The drive shaft can be removed, but I suspect with a lot of difficulty. If it is bound up, or pinched in position, then there will be no free play to separate the CV from the flanges. I suspect that the whole arm assembly will need to be removed even to get the axle out of there. Once removed, the axle free play will be evident. However I think there will be damage done to the CV`s and the axle should be replaced. A replacement arm with sway bar connection should also be obtained.
It would be very useful to know what incident caused the damage; was a wheel replaced already? Normally the arm is designed to bend in an accident to prevent damage to the body whenever possible.
Dave
Dave, yes, the wheel of curb impact was was definitely replaced by the previous owner.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Mo money = mo parts

Garage
I responded to one of your other posts that I had similar condition on my car. The driver rear quarter had been replaced, which I knew when I purchased the car. However, the tub was fine and I was unaware of any subsequent damage. I came to know I had issues because the driver side swing arm bushing kept compressing like it had been in the car 20 years, even though they had only been 20 days.

I started doing detective work. I pulled both rear torsion bars so I could look through the torsion tube. It was fine. There was also no visible damage to anything, including the rear banana and swing arm. I finally noticed that with the car level and all four corners in the air that the driver side wheel hung at an angle with several degrees more positive camber than the passenger side. Even though there was no visible damage, I concluded that the banana arm was bent - just by a few degree, but it was bent, so I replaced it.

Grady Clay had once posted on this topic. There are factory jigs to show the arm is in spec, good luck finding one. It was his opinion that an arm could not be successfully straightened, even with a jig.

No one wants to throw money and parts at their car, but you need to go beyond theory at this point. I would pull the rear suspension out. How do the t-bars look in the tube? Are they centered? Can you see through the tube - side to side with the t-bars out? Laser measurements are the most precise way, but you can see certain defects relating to the tube with the naked eye. If you suspect the banana arm, it's not that hard to replace. Find a good used one and replace it.

You can accomplish all of that for less than $500 if you do the work. If the car still does not seem right, then you will need a high quality shop with laser measurement equipment to determine if there could be other body structure damage. Replacing the banana arm addressed the issues with my car. Good luck in your efforts to find a fix.

86 Coupe (stock - pretty much like Butzi designed it)
65 Ducati Monza 250 & 66 Monza Junior (project)
"if you are lucky enough to own a Porsche, you are lucky enough"
Old 03-04-2017, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
axle , flex , suspension , trailing arm