Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Question factory replacement body - Body-in-White - history?

question inspired by recent thread on 914World & an old thread on 356 forum (links below)

in all my yrs of association with Porsche's (PCA since '76 when i got my second Porsche which i still have) there was always a rumor that a person with a pile of cash could send a pile of junk to Germany & Porsche would send it back whole & as-new - maybe in a couple years .... i think the collection of disparate knowledge bits in this 914 thread generally confirm that rumor

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

www.abcgt.com/forum/4-356-Forum/29099-Re-bodied-cars-and-Kardex.html

(my question is primarily about "older Porsche's" - not about USA cars that are "salvage-titled" after insurance settlements - a different, more recent scenario)

whom among us has some definitive knowledge & explanation of the detail and extent of obtaining such replacement factory bodies?

What was the process?

In Germany - How did Porsche "certify" the refurbished car to the 'authorities" TUV after it had been "de-registered" as not-road worthy in its K-brief?

In other countries?

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Back in the 356 era and into the late 1960's Porsche used a special chassis # series for spare bodies; 13xxx, although I do know of some in the 54xx and 56xx range, so perhaps two series. In about 1969 with the advent of the production # such a number with a leading "0" was a replacement body. In the mid 1970's a lot of the race cars were built from replacement bodies. I do not think that Porsche stocked many spare bodies; they were primarily current production bodies and could be painted or trimmed to customer requirements. That does mean that the body could be updated or the paint code a later version (and not even the same color) as the body being replaced.

Last edited by djpateman; 07-16-2017 at 06:16 PM..
Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Not sure what the OP wants, but this has been discussed.

Apparently Pelican has them listed in their catalog.
Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche BMW Mercedes Volkswagen Audi Saab Volvo MINI
Dansk has them. Breaking: Dansk Offering New Complete LWB Early 911 Chassis | FLATSIXES
A u t o Atlanta has them listed as well. http://www.***********.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=911-87-89&section=801-00

Not sure of availability however.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Seeing that they had a part number and it was listed in the PET, theoretically one could purchase a body in white. Presumably, it wasn't quite as easy as walking in to your local parts department at the P-car dealer and ordering one, but maybe it might have been. If your pockets were deep enough...

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Seems like anything is possible if money is not a factor: as per restoration by Porsche AG....

Porsche Restoration - Porsche AG

Last edited by MARISOL78sc; 07-16-2017 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: new info
Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

RUF purchased bodies in white for their first cars.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Kremer used many replacement bodies for their cars, particularly the K2 & K3 series.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Sending your 911 back to Porsche AG and the putting it back to original is possible. They will do it for a 911 but if you press them about doing a 356 or 914 they will admit they are not the best choice. The oldest 356 sold new in America is a local OKC car now. The owner has had Porsche AG send a truck to his house to borrow it on occasion. He asked them about a full factory restoration and they told him to have it done in the US. He has more than one 356. Super nice guy.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Exclamation body-in-white history

- this inquiry is reaching back into history where verbal statements & recollection of "them who were there" has to substitute for the perfect-documentation-with-pictures that we now have come to expect

i'm now reminded of a thread on 914world just a few yrs ago with pics of a 914 body "under the knife" at Zuffenhausen with substantial new component sections beside it - $$$$$$$

re: "do in USA" - good comment here:
factory replacement bodies - Body-in-White?

another good historical recollection here - factory replacement bodies - Body-in-White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Sending your 911 back to Porsche AG and the putting it back to original is possible. They will do it for a 911 but if you press them about doing a 356 or 914 they will admit they are not the best choice. The oldest 356 sold new in America is a local OKC car now. The owner has had Porsche AG send a truck to his house to borrow it on occasion. He asked them about a full factory restoration and they told him to have it done in the US. He has more than one 356. Super nice guy.

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.

Last edited by larrym; 07-24-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: