Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'75 build (time) to infinity... and beyond!

Well, it's with thanks to fellow Pelicans that I start this build thread for a recently acquired (not what I was looking for, but too good to turn down) '75 Anniversary 911 build.

This will be my first 911 build, but have dabbled with a couple of SWB 912s in the past.

The aim will be to get my current pile of parts, into something drivable. It's not going to be a concors resto. It's probably going to be a backdate (she has narrow hips).

The aim is to build a fun driver standard car, with classic styling, but certainly not a rocket ship!

In the past, I've tried to do everything myself on my restos and have had points of complete frustration. This time, I'm going to farm some stuff out as with a little one around and the desire to drive the car before I retire, I don't have the energy to do things twice (which has been the issue in the past as I learn from my mistakes).

When I built my last kitcar, I started off with this, and sure enough, it took me twice as long and was about 20% over budget than was originally envisaged...
... are you coming over to my garage??? I've got beer!

This is what I've started with...

Old 08-26-2017, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Dig the mud flap. : ) Good luck with this. I know what this journey entails. If the significant other asks when it will be done, just say "around Independence Day". Just never offer which country's Independence Day or an actual year! That way you won't technically be lying.
1985 Prussian Blau M491 Targa - 1 of 65 in the US
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on the new project. I "brought back" a '75 Targa starting in 2010 and had it driveable ~2014. It's just time and money...
Old 08-26-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Did you get a motor with the car ?? Looks like a decent starting point what are you going to do with it?? Keep it stock? Long hood ? Good luck
Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Man I am so glad that someone here picked this car up. I went to look at it and wanted it SO badly but I just don't need another project. This car is so damn clean for the price you paid. I'll be watching this one closely.

I wanted to buy this and daily it once back together - I'm extremely glad it's not just someone looking for an easy "flip."
Old 08-26-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tdw - I usually use Christmas... but Independence Day could be new for this project. And yes, I'm rather proud of my mud flap!

Funaudical - I hope my wife doesn't see your post. 4 years sets a precedent that I may not be able to live up to...

Dpmulvan - Yes it came with most of a motor... I think the original 2.7. Not sure if it's going back in or not. It also came with a 915 transmission which appears to be mostly there too. Probably go long hood as it needs new fenders, some work to the hood and not all of the bumper hanging hardware came with it.

Wiggle-puppy - it wasn't quite what I was looking for, but it was in the right location for me as I live in Mound. It was a bit of an odd set-up the guy I bought it from.
This has been on my bucket list for years and will be my other 'keeper' car.

Were you lucky enough to be the one who bought the '72 and '69 they had?

Now I just have to get the DMV to let me have a title! Are you in the twin cities? If you are, it would be really great to know some other Porsche people locally to swap ideas and knowledge! Send me a PM if you're up for it.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Loading the car into its new home and sifting through some of the 'treasures' in various boxes, I found the engine lid.
Looks like it may have had AC at some time.
I've never seen an early whale tail like this in real life before. Looks pretty cool.
Shame it's probably going to end up a wall ornament for a while.

Last edited by Munky King; 08-26-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Welcome! Looks like a great project. Longhood would be cool. Nice tail too, should bring some cash as it wont really work on the longhood look.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I really like that lid! early turbo lid
Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Duane
Thanks and sorry for chewing up another '75 911s.
I'm beginning to feel a little guilty. Looks like this is a really early anniversary car. It was built in 06/74. While the dealer badge says 172, the car seems to be a bit earlier.
Does anyone know the difference between the rear fender flare of an early car and a '75? It seems to me, that while I though this old girl had narrow hips, today as I was looking at it, they seemed slightly wider than I thought they should be.

I pulled down some old SWB arches I had laying around to compare, and they seem way wider. I can't see any changes in the bodywork around it. Is this normal?

nb - thanks. I was quite surprised when I first saw it but it's a great looking piece with a flexible rubber edge. Should stop me from hitting my head on it and it hurting!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
In '69 they changed the fender flairs to look like the ones on your car. They stayed that way until '77. The torsion hole is closer to edge in the SWB cars as well.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks Gordon. I thought for a minute it might be a Carrera or just a 'wrong un' as they say in England!

Sooo playing spot what's missing... I now realize I don't have a working key for the car.
Is there some way to take one of the barrels out and find a number and have a key made? I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't in the piles of stuff I've yet to sift through.

Made a start on the floors this afternoon. They seem thicker metal than the 912s I had.
Fortunately, other than a little surface rust, I've not found anything of significance on the drivers side... yet!
Old 08-26-2017, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Scrappy wings dragged out of the pile of parts and dropped in place, then in for supper
Okay, they are impact bumper wings, but it makes it look a little more like a real car to certain lady onlookers.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Another piece of advice please...

What is the latest fashion that the most recently home restored 911 is wearing this summer on its newly scraped and wire brushed floor pan?

I'm wondering what to put on my floor, once I've got back to bare metal?

Suggestions very much appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited by Munky King; 08-29-2017 at 03:27 AM..
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Congrats on the car it looks like a great starting point!

6/74 is very early for a 1975 what is the VIN?

NVH
Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
Another piece of advice please...

What is the latest fashion that the most recently home restored 911 is wearing this summer on its newly scraped and wire brushed floor pan?

I'm wondering what to put on my floor, once I've got back to bare metal?

Suggestions very much appreciated!
Thanks!
What's your goal? Are you asking about the type of paint to use or the type of sound deadening material to use? If paint, I'd also like to know the answer. If sound deadening, it seems the best solution is a two or three step process. Lay some CLD tiles down (don't cover the hole thing with dynamat - you're just trying to add a little mass to dampen resonance) and then cover with closed cell foam (CCF) with mass loaded vinyl (MLV) on top.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
A couple of thoughts and my 2 cents.....

Nice find and good luck with your restoration.
LWB cars are different from the early SWB. Fenders are definitely different as you see.

Looks like you have a few nice extra pieces that went along with your purchase. As mentioned, your rear deck lid is an early 75-77 turbo deck lid w/ A/C. It appears to be in very good condition. Some believe these to be the best looking spoilers, I agree !

Additionally, your front valence w/ fog lights also appears to be early turbo.
Pretty sure that valance wont work on your narrow bodied car even when you remove the attached spoiler.

Unless you are planning on going "wide body", selling these parts could go a long way to help offset your costs of bring this neat 75 back to its original condition.
The rear spoiler alone is worth good $ The front valance not so much but still in demand for a good front valance.

best of luck and keep us posted....
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)

Last edited by stevie 77 930; 08-29-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

If real, that 75 Carrera tail is worth quite a bit. Not correct for a longnose and very unlikely original to your car. Sell it toward the project fund.

Rear fenders appear original.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-29-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
If real, that 75 Carrera tail is worth quite a bit. Not correct for a longnose and very unlikely original to your car. Sell it toward the project fund.
Seems like it would be a good idea to trade it for my early decklid and longhood then
Old 08-29-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggle_puppy View Post
Seems like it would be a good idea to trade it for my early decklid and longhood then
Worth more than that. Go dig around the classifieds a bit. I'm talking a couple grand when a stock decklid is a couple hundred. If using aftermarket FG, he could possibly buy his decklid, hood and fenders for that he can sell it for.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: