Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
No problem just thinking out loud lol. No tension anywhere on the sway bar when the wheels are unsprung
Old 09-30-2017, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

just pulled my carpet and I think I am leaving the sound deadening because it looks like true hell to remove. If dry ice will take out easy I may consider it. good work
Old 09-30-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
That's just a protective skid plate. Remove the 4 bolts (2 hex drive and two 13mm if I remember maybe 10mm) drop off the cover plate and you'll see the master cylinder and pedal box. The sway bar is not connected to it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Thanks gents
I'll whip it off tomorrow.

Hope the wife doesn't check my internet search history. I've been searching 'Grinder' 'battery powered'. Ended up having to turn safe search on!

I've just ordered a Dewalt one as a compliment to a couple of mains ones I have. I would prefer an air driven, but my compressor is just too noisy! Picked up some flapper discs too. If I get lucky with the pedal box tomorrow, will be ordering the bearing set from our host (and maybe sneaking a look at Duanes posts again as a cheat sheet) and digging in with the grinder next weekend!

Oh and looking for a cheap parts washer! I'm not sure I would be thanked for using the dish washer!
Old 09-30-2017, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
Thanks gents
(and maybe sneaking a look at Duanes posts again as a cheat sheet) and digging in with the grinder next weekend! !
Well I'm far from an expert on this stuff. I just like diving in and figuring out how it all works. I stand on the shoulders of the real experts on here. :-)

As for tools, get a dremel. It's one of my most often used tools. You can buy small wire wheels for it too and that is what I used to get into the tiny areas of the pedal box. You don't have to buy the most expensive one, I think I got one of the cheaper ones but still Dremel brand.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrante View Post
just pulled my carpet and I think I am leaving the sound deadening because it looks like true hell to remove. If dry ice will take out easy I may consider it. good work
Thanks.

Mine took a couple of part days with a scraper. No big hassle. Kind of enjoyed doing it, listening to the radio.
I've done the same on more modern cars and I'm not sure if the newer stuff is different, or if the stuff here is just plain old (and the fact there was slight delamination due to the start of surface rust) but this wasn't really that bad at all. If you find an edge and you can then just slide the scraper under it.

That said, I won't be offering to do anyone else's for a while... as it wasn't THAT much fun

And don't sell your amazing interior. It really defines your car. I'm so tempted to buy it from you, but I'm heading for more white and orange, than white, blue, green but... it's an amazing interior. Soooo tempted!

Last edited by Munky King; 09-30-2017 at 09:36 PM..
Old 09-30-2017, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Well I'm far from an expert on this stuff. I just like diving in and figuring out how it all works. I stand on the shoulders of the real experts on here. :-)

As for tools, get a dremel. It's one of my most often used tools. You can buy small wire wheels for it too and that is what I used to get into the tiny areas of the pedal box. You don't have to buy the most expensive one, I think I got one of the cheaper ones but still Dremel brand.
Any tool of mass destruction has to be worth having - thanks for the thought.
What did you paint your pedals with when you finished cleaning them up?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrante View Post
A heat gun and a plastic scraper will make quick work of the rubbery sound pads on the floor. I think "modern" CLD panels will do a better job with less weight, though the difference is probably not that significant.

The glue is the ugly stuff to get up.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
A heat gun and a plastic scraper will make quick work of the rubbery sound pads on the floor. I think "modern" CLD panels will do a better job with less weight, though the difference is probably not that significant.

The glue is the ugly stuff to get up.
I guess the question is of i don't care about weight is it worth the hassle? can a new rs carpet kit for over the old stuff

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I would probably lift it all up just to check for any rust...Once it's up, $50 worth of CLD tiles will bring back the damping the factory pad provided and add no additional thickness.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Had a bit more fun today, now I know that the anti-roll-bar wasn't about to spring out and brain me! (Thanks for the advice with that guys).

Managed to get the front skid plate off with no broken nuts:

It was full of rocks and a small hornets nest (I'm no entomologist, so sorry if it's something different!)

I still managed to blow through another one of the bolts on the pedal assembly, 3 out of 4 isn't good...

What is the common wisdom for this? Is anyone putting the skidpan back on? Or just putting a couple of spacers on around the anti-roll-bar and calling it a day?

I managed to get the pedal assembly out finally

And now I'll allow myself the money to buy the pedal bearing set from our hosts.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the floors and the pedal set!

Next - to pull the gearstick assembly.

Last edited by Munky King; 10-01-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Old 10-01-2017, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Had a few mins spare at lunch, so reworked the CAD file - thanks Nathan
And now it's off in the ether being made

It's going to be interesting seeing how it works out!

I also ordered the bearing set from Pelican and then realized I ordered the wrong one.
I ordered just the bearings rather than the set with the washers and pins. Sigh.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to see how I get on with it and order or look for the other parts separately.

Last edited by Munky King; 10-02-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Your making great progress, cannot wait to tear into my 75 and begin the journey down the slippery slope.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Thanks, it's great fun.
Winter is just around the corner and was hoping to get stuck in then. For the time being, I'm just playing with the odd half hour here and there.
Be sure to post. It's so useful reading and getting advice from others on here

For some reason the final pic of the shifter didn't show up.
This I what I sent to be made...

I've some other missing parts that are non-structural I might play with yet.
I have flappy rear windows, but only parts of the latch hardware...
Maybe the next thing to play with

Edit: dang, picture still not showing up. Is there a picture posting limit? Or just mt useless (cr)apple?

Last edited by Munky King; 10-02-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Old 10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

I have been collecting parts for the least " few" years for my 75. Still in need of a lot.
I hope to start this winter.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
Had a few mins spare at lunch, so reworked the CAD file - thanks Nathan
And now it's off in the ether being made

It's going to be interesting seeing how it works out!
I can't wait to see what the knob looks like when it's done
Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

So looking through the pile of parts that came with the car, I'm beginning to realize that I don't have all the parts for the rear flappy window things... (among a ton of other essential stuff), so I thought, I could either buy it, make it, go without, or a combination of these.
Looking at the price of the assemblies, I've decided to buy some of it but make some too.

I need one of these latches, so did a quick sketch of what a hot rod one might look like if I were to make one:

A couple more:

Anyone got any other ideas? Outlaw script seems a little over done these days and I think might age. Thoughts?
I quite like the three simple holes on the top (and bottom) but I guess anyone could do that with stock parts. Louvered could be cool. Again, I'll make a pair (I think there must be a left and right) out of stainless.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Holes are a classic look for our P cars

Also like the rectangular cut out.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I've never liked the word "outlaw" to refer to a slight deviation from a niche purist's vision of ideal...None of these cars are outlaws, and Magnus Walker doesn't need anyone to bolster his brand for free...
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Bottom right is awesome! Loving the creative stuff you are bringing. This is going to be a fun build to watch.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: