Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Hey Fellas,

Until they are up on our web site free free to shoot me a line with questions or if you'd like to order.

rhoegner@eibach.com

- The 964 bars are in stock and can ship immediately.
- The G body bars are complete, but the hardware is about 4 weeks out.
Email sent.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
ALEX P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
The 22-mm front and 21-mm rear sway bars were available in '87/'86 or the other way around respectively up to '89 Carrera 3.2 models.

Tony
FYI this is quite a handy guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Hey Fellas,

Until they are up on our web site free free to shoot me a line with questions or if you'd like to order.

rhoegner@eibach.com

- The 964 bars are in stock and can ship immediately.
- The G body bars are complete, but the hardware is about 4 weeks out.
Hi Ryan, please can you confirm what the front and rear sizes are for the new kit? Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Local Asian gang members did a group buy for their 964's. I think 7 of them all together. We are all going to the Porsche Experience in the morning.

Mark, the 22mm front T-bars are in and match my rear perfectly. I had no idea what a well balanced car could do until I hit Baldy Road tonight. OMG what a dream. Pushed it well past my comfort zone without issue. Car will not roll or slide. Simply awesome.

......but I already knocked the zerk off the passenger side twice over speed bumps.

See....fronts are in. LOL.

Zerks don't have a prayer

Old 11-11-2017, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

The Eibach G-body bars are in stock and our host should be stocking them shortly.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Ryan,

Can you please post a picture how the front bar is installed and specifically how you realized the adjustment piece?

thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorstP View Post
Ryan,

Can you please post a picture how the front bar is installed and specifically how you realized the adjustment piece?

thanks
The bar has two holes for adjustment and connects via this end link (Aurora hardware).

(I see the typo too)

Old 02-20-2018, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Sway Bar Upgrade

Thanks , appreciate the quick reply!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
New Eibach Sway Bars

FedEx delivered my Eibach sway bar kit yesterday. (Thanks, Ryan H!) The part number for the kit that includes front and rear sway bars plus installation hardware is E40-72-015-01-11.

The rear bar is hollow and black powder coated with 3 adjustment holes at each end. New stiff bushings (hard rubber, I think) with interior grease channels are provided with machined, black anodized billet aluminum brackets. No new drop links are provided, so we must use our old ones (and hence no ability to eliminate preload on the rear bar, if any). The billet brackets are drilled and tapped for the provided zerk fittings.

The solid front bar (also black powder coated) is designed to use the original end loops on the control arms with nicely made, adjustable endlinks connected to a split bushing that fits into the end loops. The end links have spherical bearings at both ends. There are two hole positions in the sway bar.

So there is a total of 6 combinations of font/back stiffness settings, with preload adjustability at the front. The bushings are all firm material, and plenty of silicone(?) grease is provided for the initial install.

The installation instructions are a bit cryptic and the black/white photography is printed quite dark - kind of reminds me of my old Haynes manual. Fortunately, there is a very clear diagram of the end links for the the front sway bar, which is the only part that could otherwise be confusing. I have also provided a couple of photos of the end links below.

I'll post installation photos when I mount these babies, hopefully this weekend

Unboxing

Contents of kit

Rear bar

Rear bushing with anodized billet bracket. (I figure it would take a couple of days to machine a bracket like this by hand.)

Three hole adjustment (rear bar)

Front bar (solid)

Front end links

The front end links

Front bracket (on crossbar) and mid-bar bushings

Zeusdog
Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Eibach sway bar installation, Part 1

I got started on installation of the Eibach sway bar kit today. For no particular reason, I started with the front.

1) The day before, I sprayed the bolts holding the belly pan with PB Blaster and shot some silicone spray into the bushings at the ends of the sway bar.

2) Raise front of car, support on jack stands. Remove the belly pan under the front crossmember. (4 bolts, use 11 mm socket.)

3) Remove the 2 remaining bolts holding the thick steel strut and middle bushings of the old sway bar. (11 mm socket.) These are visible after the belly pan is removed.

4) The old sway bar is now only held in place by the bushings at the ends of the bar (on the control arms). Due to the geometry of the bushings and OE sway bar, the bar resists removal. I ended up prying gently but firmly with a crow bar and some wood block spacers. The bar eventually popped out at the left end. With one end free, the other end essentially fell out.

5) Remove the old sway bar bushings from the end loops on the control arms. I found it was easiest to push these out from the front side using a large screwdriver. Push a bit of the bushing in near where it is split, then keep working around the outside until the bushing pops out. Clean the inside of the bushing end loop.

6) Apply the supplied grease to the inside of the new middle bushings and to the sway bar, then slip them onto the bar just outboard of the collars.

7) Using the supplied washers and the original bolt and lockwasher, secure one end of the new bushing brackets over the new bushings to the thick steel strut.

----------------------------------------

A little persuasion with a crowbar...

And the old bar is out.

From the FRONT side of of the control arm:

Starting at the split in the bushing, use a large screwdriver to push the bushing into the end loop.

Working around the bushing, pushing it into the end loop...bit by bit.

And the bushing pops out.

Old and new front sway bars. Middle bushings with brackets came out with the sway bar. The heavy metal brackets and bolts will be re-used. The Eibach kit includes replacement U-brackets.

New front sway bar (solid) is 24 mm.

Applying grease to the new bushing using the Porsche applicator tool.

Next step: Install the new front sway bar. stay tuned...

Zeusdog
Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Hopefully not too late, but make sure you fit your bushings. When putting a front bar on my car, the car suddenly got very pushy, ride went downhill, and I lost a lot of braking performance. The (poly) bushings were pinching the bar so tight it wouldn't rotate, essentially making it work like a lever spring rigidly attached to the chassis.

30 seconds with a belt sander and I regained my front grip. HUGE difference. Since then I do this on every bar I install, favoring slightly loose over slightly tight. I also put a wrap of teflon pipe tape over the bar where it rides in the bushing.

My $.02, ymmv, and all that jazz.

Before:

After:
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

As Doug has experienced, and I'm sure others will as well, perhaps it would be prudent to manufacture the bushing bracket with the zerk fitting around closer to the rear where it would be less likely to be snagged and sheared off.

[/QUOTE]

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Driven - Thanks for the tip on fitting the bushings. I'll probably be installing the front bar today.

+1 to Canada Kev's suggestion. I was thinking the same. The rear bushings could be user modified, but drilling and tapping a new hole for the zerks would expose un-anodized aluminum, creating a potential target for corrosion. Not so much of a concern here in California, but could be in other climates.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Front Eibach Sway Bar Installation - Continued.

Continuing from post #69 - installation of the front Eibach front sway bar...

8) Slide the greased bushing onto the sway bar.

9) Assemble the the u-brackets and loosely thread the front bolt to the thick mounting bars so that the bushings and u-bracket stay assembled.

10) Attach the two mounting bars (that the u-brackets and bushings with the now-captive sway bar are attached to) the car. The two bolts that are welded to the mounting bars drop into holes in the aluminum crossmember of front suspension. Attach the back holes in the mounting bars and the u-brackets using the cap screws removed earlier. (Cap screws require 8 mm hex wrench). Leave all fasteners loose.

11) Grease the split bushings and install them into the end loops on the control arms.

12) Slide the crush bushing through the holes in the split bushings.

13) Adjust the end links so that they are of approximately equal length. Eibach cautions not to lengthen beyond 80 mm from eye to eye. (This corresponds to about 8 threads showing.) I set them initially with about 4-5 threads showing, which makes the eye-to-eye distance about 73 mm, and leaves room to adjust in either direction if needed.

14) Slide a fender washer onto the longer of the bolts supplied with the Eibach kit, then slide the bolt through the crush bushing (from the front side, with the threads extending rearward). Then slide on another fender washer, a spacer bushing, the eye of the end link assembly, another spacer bushing, washer and nylock nut. Put a couple of turns on the assembly with 17 mm wrenches. Don't tighten completely yet.

15) Assemble the supplied large cap screw through one of the holes at the end of the sway bar. Slip on a spacer bushing, other eye of the end link, another spacer bushing, washer and 17 mm nylock nut. You may need to muscle the sway bar around a bit to get the bolt through the hole.

Note: The supplied instructions reverse the order of 14 and 15, but I found it difficult to get the lower eye lined up with the bolt. It was much easier to mount the lower end first, then fit the upper end to the bolt on the sway bar end. Finally, torque all the fasteners.

16) Once both ends of each end link are attached, torque the fasteners on both ends of the end links using 8 mm hex wrench, 17 mm socket and 17 mm box wrench.

17) Replace the belly pan under the cross member. (11 mm bolts and 17 mm nuts)

I had planned to use the softer setting of the front sway bar, but found that the angle of the end link would be such that it would hit the end loop on the control arm with the suspension at full droop (when the sway bar end extends farther forward than at normal ride height). I worried that this could bend or fatigue the end links if the front end was jacked up too many times. In the photo below (taken from the front side of the control arm) you can see that the end link is forward of the end loop on the control arm. But the lower end of the end link mounts to the back side of the bolt through the end loop. That would be difficult.

This probably would not be an issue for cars with stiffer T-bars, because the suspension would not droop as far. For this reason, I ended up using the firmer setting. I may need to revisit this and see if I can adjust things to eliminate the issue.

Update: With the car sitting on the ground at normal ride height, I have tried to move the end links to the softer (forward) holes on the front sway bar. At least with my car, it does not seem to be possible. With the lower end of the link in place, the middle of the end link hits the fender washer on the half-bushing before the upper eye can be moved far enough forward to bolt into the softer setting on the front sway bar. I was hoping to try that setting in hopes of reducing understeer a bit more.

The rear sway bar goes on tomorrow. It should be a simple replacement of the OE bar and brackets.

Zeusdog

Last edited by zeusdog; 03-11-2018 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 02-24-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Update for the rear install? Great writeup. I have been really tempted to purchase these bars.
2012 Cayenne S

Last edited by goat; 02-27-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-27-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Don't forget to actually use those drop links for their intended purpose-- dialing out pre-load.

Of course ideal is with the car in "as driven, raced and/or ax'd" configuration, with (nominal) driver's weight in the seat.

The presumption being that the corner balance in the car is based on a target.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Eibach F&R sway bars, first drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler9th View Post
Don't forget to actually use those drop links for their intended purpose-- dialing out pre-load.
Yep, I'll do that once I get other suspension parts the way I want them. My car seems to sit and handle pretty symmetrically, but a corner balance (when I get to that point) will tell for sure.

On my first test drive of about 50 miles including a favorite stretch of 2nd/3rd gear twisties, the Eibach sway bars made an impressive difference. Some of the test ride included medium-rough sections of road but nothing severely rough. At least in these conditions, the ride seemed no rougher than with the stock bars.

Besides dramatically reducing body roll, there is a feel that stiffer sway bars impart to a car that is difficult to describe. More "solid," less independence of the suspension, much quicker transition into turns and between left and right turns.

I understand that the sway bars are only one piece of the puzzle, and that the suspension all works together. That said, the Eibach kit seems to work quite well on a stock SC.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Eibach Rear Sway Bar Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Update for the rear install? Great writeup. I have been really tempted to purchase these bars.
Hi, Tim.

I didn't post a writeup for the rear install because it is very straightforward and only differs from replacement of the stock sway bar in that
  • The OE u-brackets are replaced with the Eibach black anodized billet units pictured in my earlier post.
  • You can select which of the three adjustment holes in the sway bar to connect the OE drop links into.
I'll try to get under the car and take a few photos of the installed sway bar some time in the next few days.

Elevate both sides of the car a few inches and set jack stands under the torsion bar covers. Just enough to reach under; all the hardware is pretty close.

The only part that was a bit tricky was getting the u-bracket holes to line up with the holes in the chassis. It was easy to get the first bolt in each u-bracket, but the other slot in the u-bracket always seemed to be too far back to to get a bolt through it and into the chassis hole. (This probably would not be an issue if the car is on a lift.)
What I ended up doing was leaving the first bolt loose, lowering the car a bit at a time until the holes lined up. (As the car lowers, the brackets are pushed forward due to the changing geometry. Of course, I reset the jack stands before wrenching on anything.)

As in the case of the front install, I waited until all fasteners were in place before tightening all of them. No torque specs were provided. If anyone knows the proper torque for the drop link bolts or the u-bracket bolts, I would appreciate the info.

Using a floor jack, a jack pad and jack stands, the job took about an hour. If the car was on a lift, it would have been about 20 minutes. Eibach estimates that F&R sway bars could be installed in an hour with the car on a lift.

If you decide to buy the Eibach bars, call or email Ryan H. (His contact info is earlier in this thread.) He'll make sure you get the right kit.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the write up Zuesdog. Very Helpful. Probably going to order a set soon.
2012 Cayenne S
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Really nice write up! One of the many reasons Pelican is still such a great resource
Old 03-01-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed, great write-up, Z. Please post a photo, if you can, of the rear black billet brackets installed, especially showing the grease fitting, and how low it hangs (as Doug and Kevin mention). I would think, however, that $1.50, 90- or 45-degree bend fitting would help most issues though. Plus, I don't think my car sits as low as the one you show, Doug...
Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: