Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tips on Removing Ignition Switch

I'm trying to replace the electric portion of the ignition switch and clean out the lock cylinder so key can be inserted with no drama. The car is an '87 coupe. However, I'm having a ***** of a time removing the breakoff bolts holding the switch to the dash. I'm using a drill and Dremel to drill a slot to insert a flat head screw driver, but it takes a long time to make progress given the hardness of the breakoff bolts. Even cobalt drill tips make slow grinding progress. Have any tips on getting these bolts off faster?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - take a look at the link below; hopefully it'll be helpful to you.

Porsche 911 Ignition Switch Replacement | 911 (1965-89) - 930 Turbo (1975-89) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Use a short spiral easy-out after drilling a hole in them. The ones with 1/4" spiral and a hex head.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The simple way is to take a small sharp chisel and tap the bolt at 6 o'clock make a little groove and tap it to the right it will loosen then use the groove to spin the bolt out. literally takes 5 minutes.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I tried all the idea listed here and from previous threads, none worked for me so I ended up just grinding off the top of the bolt. The dome top and hardness of the bolt made it difficult to chisel and easy-out.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

All you need is a small sharp chisel, put it on the outer edge of the bolt at 6:00 and tap it counterclockwise, literally takes 5 minutes to remove them.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: