Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Testing Element fire extinguisher

Edit: vid of test is on page 3 post #49.

First off, no offense to anyone who owns an Element fire extinguisher. Concept and product seem brilliant but vid promoting it... not so brilliant---can't tell from promo vid if product genuinely works. And girl opening hood with fire below... dumbschool---not the girl, the creative team. Would think if product did work well that promo vid would capture that fact, but could be creative team's fault... not product's. So...

Am inclined to test Element myself with partners chipping in for amusement of it. Product is $80. Estimating shipping at $20. Total $100. Looking for 10 people to put in $10 each. Or, 20 to put $5. I'll order product, test, vid, and post results on YouTube. PM me if you want in---I'll provide my address. Checks only.

Will do fuel fire first. (Volunteer Porsche not needed.) If product works on fuel, magnesium test could be next if there's interest to continue.

Product is close to road flare size. If it works, great stuff.

Disclaimer: I may take money and retire to Switzerland.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.

Last edited by Discseven; 04-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Add video page
Old 01-28-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
OK Karl, I’m so curious that I’m in for $10 USD.
Johan
Old 01-29-2018, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

I'm in for $10
Old 01-29-2018, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Count me in.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rather lengthy thread over at Ferrarichat.com; may be useful:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/element-fire-extinguisher-an-introduction.564980/page-2
Old 01-29-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
PMs sent to you "in" guys.

ROW... interesting read in Ferrarichat---thanks. After reading it all I'm missing---from the maker or rep in the thread---exactly how the system works in terms of fire quenching. Maybe they're protecting proprietary info. Maker or rep admits video they have is poorly done... including opening a hood with a fire below being a bad idea. His suggestion is to supress the fire through the grill before opening the hood. No mention is made of hood release temp. It's all a bit odd to me---like a puzzle with missing pieces.

Bottom line... I don't see a dagger being stuck in this gizmo that would sensibly deem it DOA. Nor do I see the magic that clearly indicates it being a genuine worker.

... Our testing plan continues.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
Look up the Sparco Fire eater. No longer sold by sparco, but it was the same type of extinguisher.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would never set my 911 on fire just to see if an extinguisher works!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
PMs sent to you "in" guys.

ROW... interesting read in Ferrarichat---thanks. After reading it all I'm missing---from the maker or rep in the thread---exactly how the system works in terms of fire quenching. Maybe they're protecting proprietary info. Maker or rep admits video they have is poorly done... including opening a hood with a fire below being a bad idea. His suggestion is to supress the fire through the grill before opening the hood. No mention is made of hood release temp. It's all a bit odd to me---like a puzzle with missing pieces.

Bottom line... I don't see a dagger being stuck in this gizmo that would sensibly deem it DOA. Nor do I see the magic that clearly indicates it being a genuine worker.

... Our testing plan continues.
Can you please resend me PM for testing support?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I bought into it - 2 in fact; they are in transit, so not on hand yet. I don't know much about fire extinguishers, but when I went to look at one that I had in my house, I saw that it lacked proper pressure. As these allegedly have no expiration, I became intrigued. I also like the size.

Hopefully I never have to use it.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Arrived :

Light, convenient - hopefully they work!

Jason
Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
looks nice and powerfull
.I wonder why is on it Made in Italy??I did not find any store in Europe or Italy who would know about it?.........maybe Little Italy in New Your?

Ivan
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Now available and in stock for local pickup at Red Line Service.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
OK, so who is going to actually test it? Should be easy, pour a pint of gas on the driveway, light it, then put it out. Who's game?

Made in Italy? Read the Ferrari link, not helpful. No real accurate data.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Check out this wiki on condensed aerosol fire suppression systems, which I think is how the Element works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_aerosol_fire_suppression

There's a bunch of other articles referenced under the Further Reading section.

Mark
Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
New video in post production right now. Also a piece coming on "Leno's Garage"
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I have a similar Maus Xtin in each of my Porsches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwSGpCC08Y&t=36s
Old 02-04-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has a Kidde extinguisher in your home or car, check their website to see if it’s subject to their recall. An extinguisher that I had in my kitchen (from 1980) was recalled and they shipped a new one out promptly.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has a Kidde extinguisher in your home or car, check their website to see if itís subject to their recall. An extinguisher that I had in my kitchen (from 1980) was recalled and they shipped a new one out promptly.

ya, & hurry! I was early in and they screwed up and sent me two of each of the three recall ones I had! I think it had to do with the fact I sent in the online form and realized I screwed up a detail so I called in to correct it.

I'm so flush with powder extinguishers currently I'm waiting for something to catch on fire near me!!! bummer is not one is fit for the 911 due to the powder...

I'm curious to see the results. is funding still needed for this test? I'm in! ill sell a couple of my kiddes

t

t
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti View Post
Check out this wiki on condensed aerosol fire suppression systems, which I think is how the Element works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_aerosol_fire_suppression

There's a bunch of other articles referenced under the Further Reading section.

Mark
Not the same type of system from what I read. But I read it off the internet...
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: